Starting as a self employed

Kasper

Hi, I got few questions regarding going self employed. I'm working for a company right now, I worked for this company last 4 years and I learned plastering and all aspects of it but what us crap is that I'm basically on really s**t money, its literally came to the point that I would probably be better off working in the warehouse than doing this. So I decided to very soon pack up and go on my own. Problem is I don't really have many contacts with builders etc. What I came out with is to base my advertisement on social media. I'm quite switched on when it comes to graphic design etc so I can do it myself etc the question is how much work can I get just out of social media, like fb and Instagram etc ? I'm planning to get some business cards from vista print and van advertisement. I'm really worried about going self employed and being out of work, especially now when my partner is pregnant and she's soon gonna be out of work too. So I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. Thanks.

Hi, I got few questions regarding going self employed. I'm working for a company right now, I worked for this company last 4 years and I learned plastering and all aspects of it but what us crap is that I'm basically on really s**t money, its literally came to the point that I would probably be better off working in the warehouse than doing this. So I decided to very soon pack up and go on my own. Problem is I don't really have many contacts with builders etc. What I came out with is to base my advertisement on social media. I'm quite switched on when it comes to graphic design etc so I can do it myself etc the question is how much work can I get just out of social media, like fb and Instagram etc ? I'm planning to get some business cards from vista print and van advertisement. I'm really worried about going self employed and being out of work, especially now when my partner is pregnant and she's soon gonna be out of work too. So I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. Thanks.
Sounds like it’s the wrong time for you, unless you’ve got a decent amount in the bank so you could manage with no work for a couple of months

What area are you there’s loads of guys all over country looking for the right guy to help ,

Also first stop if you do go on your own tell the tax man so you get off to a good start

Advertise your self on social media, book in jobs that you can handle at weekends or the odd small job at evenings ,this will help you get an understanding of the work available and give you an insight of gaining your own work, pricing etc

Agree with @zombie wait till your Mrs has spat the sprog out till you start messing around with been self employed if you end up sat at home she'll have you doing all sorts :ROFLMAO: no escape!!

All the above advice is sound. Also please don't kid yourself that you've learnt all aspects of plastering in the four years you've been working for this firm.
Have you not been taking on the odd little jobs whilst working for them?
Be aware that there's a world of difference between doing jobs for an employer and being the one in charge, where the buck stops.

Act as if you're on your own whilst working for them! Put all your plans in place advertise or whatever do jobs on a weekend using there materials to start with then build a base before jumping in both feet!;)
Spot on. This is so painfully obvious, that if he hasn't thought of it already he's probably got no chance of running a business. A mate of mine quit his job to do a plastering course for 3 months and several grand, and bought a 10k van. Only the day after he finished the course did he start advertising or looking for work lol

Spot on. This is so painfully obvious, that if he hasn't thought of it already he's probably got no chance of running a business. A mate of mine quit his job to do a plastering course for 3 months and several grand, and bought a 10k van. Only the day after he finished the course did he start advertising or looking for work lol
You can be really competitive with your prices I'm someone else is paying for the materials :ROFLMAO: just saying that's the only perk of working for a company one bag of multi for them 2 for me ooh and some screws pva beads, dust sheets you name it bang it on there account little bit extra on all there jobs save up enough stuff in your garage to last you till 2026. That's what I be heard people can do anyway.

What I'd do m8 go round your town looking for work by word mouth do them on reas
Advertise advertise advertise.
Word mouth even better
Be organised
Do a decent job
Be fair on prices when you start off after a year a so creep them up.
something for you to think of it takes 3 5 years to establish a good business does not happen over nigh As someone said if you put your mind and dedication to it you will succeed in what ever you whant to do in life if the potential ther... Best of luck for the future

personally i started with nothing 26 years ago,...but with benefit of hindsight i would not do it again,.......realistically if i was to start afresh now,.....i would want my van to be worth at least 7,000, good runner full history etc,....and at least 5,000 in the bank ,.....and at least 6 weeks of work lined up,.....before i would even consider going self employed

£7 grand for a van?? I started 5yrs ago with a Peugot Combi £ 1400 off Ebay, fixed a few bits and ran it into the ground over 2 1/2 years - bloody brilliant, you can fit loads and loads into it and boards on the roof with planks and a roof rack. Now I've an 04 Vito, just under £3 grand with 100 on the clock., brill, and board can go inside or on the roof again.

£7 grand for a van?? I started 5yrs ago with a Peugot Combi £ 1400 off Ebay, fixed a few bits and ran it into the ground over 2 1/2 years - bloody brilliant, you can fit loads and loads into it and boards on the roof with planks and a roof rack. Now I've an 04 Vito, just under £3 grand with 100 on the clock., brill, and board can go inside or on the roof again.
Agree with you. I'd never spend much on a van for plastering. It just inevitable it'll get ruined. Got a 3k transit all racked out, slide board under the racking. Spot on for what I need pottering about

Agree with you. I'd never spend much on a van for plastering. It just inevitable it'll get ruined. Got a 3k transit all racked out, slide board under the racking. Spot on for what I need pottering about
both of you are quite right,......been there and done it with the vans,........but in an ideal world both van/money behind you , would be the right way,.........realistically we all learn as we go along,......

Sounds like it’s the wrong time for you, unless you’ve got a decent amount in the bank so you could manage with no work for a couple of months
Yeah that's exactly why I was asking how much work can I get out of websites like fb etc, I'm trying right now to save up so I can just leave. Our company is run in very bad way, like last pay rise was 2 years ago and it was a £10 a week more, I'm not even saying how I'm on because its private but you'd definitely have a good laugh. Thanks for advice.

What I'd do m8 go round your town looking for work by word mouth do them on reas

Advertise advertise advertise.
Word mouth even better
Be organised
Do a decent job
Be fair on prices when you start off after a year a so creep them up.
something for you to think of it takes 3 5 years to establish a good business does not happen over nigh As someone said if you put your mind and dedication to it you will succeed in what ever you whant to do in life if the potential ther... Best of luck for the future
Thanks buddy, I'm very motivated to do well, I said, I'm working for really s**t company , very poor management so I know what mistakes to don't make in future

All the above advice is sound. Also please don't kid yourself that you've learnt all aspects of plastering in the four years you've been working for this firm.
Have you not been taking on the odd little jobs whilst working for them?
Be aware that there's a world of difference between doing jobs for an employer and being the one in charge, where the buck stops.
Maybe I described it wrong, I'm still learning few thing and I'm confident with it, I do know how long it can take to really learn all aspects of it but in the end of the day, we never gonna stop learning. But you are right I'm not like jack of all plastering aspects.but thanks for advice.

Act as if you're on your own whilst working for them! Put all your plans in place advertise or whatever do jobs on a weekend using there materials to start with then build a base before jumping in both feet!;)
I've been doing it for last year or so, so I've done quite a lot of private work, some of it was of Facebook, few times somebody recommended me, it's just scary to do it. Thank you for advice though, I think I'm just gonna stuck to trying to save up first of my private work and then I should be able to do it with less pressure, once I know I got enough money to survive even if s**t hit the fan.

What area are you there’s loads of guys all over country looking for the right guy to help ,

Also first stop if you do go on your own tell the tax man so you get off to a good start
So you reckon stop working for company first and then sort out my self employment?
I'm from Swindon but could do most of Wiltshire and Oxfordshire. Thanks for help

I've been doing it for last year or so, so I've done quite a lot of private work, some of it was of Facebook, few times somebody recommended me, it's just scary to do it. Thank you for advice though, I think I'm just gonna stuck to trying to save up first of my private work and then I should be able to do it with less pressure, once I know I got enough money to survive even if s**t hit the fan.
No rush ya still young! Keep getting your name out there doing your private work! Get some business cards made up and when you're working on your private jobs hand um out everywhere. Get some magnetic signs on your van while on the privates you get more work just been parked up outside a customer's house

Theres never a right time...you just have to go for it...if you are on s**t money now what have you got to lose you probably only need a couple of days a week @ £250 per day to be on the same wedge...

If you want to earn the top money you need to be good on the business side and be prepared to put in long shifts...first 5 years for me were 10 hour days - 7 days a week...paperwork and marketing in the evening until 12pm.

Wages know £80 a day
Cmunts charging you out at £30 a hour it’s his business he has to make money off you but like most greeeeedy b*****d ! He will Give you as little as poss . making you angry so you see the only way is out on your own !!
You on your own will not end well
My free advice is find another job then Tell the fat c**t you want more money if your work is good & you are not ringing in sick every week
Fatty will tip up ...

Your welcome

Wages know £80 a day
Cmunts charging you out at £30 a hour it’s his business he has to make money off you but like most greeeeedy b*****d ! He will Give you as little as poss . making you angry so you see the only way is out on your own !!
You on your own will not end well
My free advice is find another job then Tell the fat c**t you want more money if your work is good & you are not ringing in sick every week
Fatty will tip up ...

Your welcome
Haha, that actually made me laugh as my boss is actually quite fat, the only thing is, he's not gonna give me more money that's for sure, he's basically concentrating on different business right now and trying to run company down, the less money left the more chances he'll get away with not paying us penny when company shuts down. Sad really..

Hi, I got few questions regarding going self employed. I'm working for a company right now, I worked for this company last 4 years and I learned plastering and all aspects of it but what us crap is that I'm basically on really s**t money, its literally came to the point that I would probably be better off working in the warehouse than doing this. So I decided to very soon pack up and go on my own. Problem is I don't really have many contacts with builders etc. What I came out with is to base my advertisement on social media. I'm quite switched on when it comes to graphic design etc so I can do it myself etc the question is how much work can I get just out of social media, like fb and Instagram etc ? I'm planning to get some business cards from vista print and van advertisement. I'm really worried about going self employed and being out of work, especially now when my partner is pregnant and she's so2on gonna be out of work too. So I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. Thanks.
mate get your cscs card and work for agentsic 18pound's a hour toss it off and book in 10 to 12hour day work like the polish and Romania and who every else is is doing this

mate get your cscs card and work for agentsic 18pound's a hour toss it off and book in 10 to 12hour day work like the polish and Romania and who every else is is doing this
I actually considered that as a plan b if I was to be off work for a while, I got cscs card too so it's not a problem. I'm polish by the way