Stains through wallpaper.

Members online

SJT

My external wall has never showed any signs of staining or damp until I painted the wallpaper. The anaglypta has been in place for 4 years without showing any stains until paint was applied recently. The house originally had damp in the walls until it was re-rendered, but has been dry for several years now. Is it possible that there is something in the wall that can bleed through from the plaster once it is painted? (I think that Black ash mortar has been used in the construction)
If I re-plaster the walls, what type of sealer will stop this from happening again?

My external wall has never showed any signs of staining or damp until I painted the wallpaper. The anaglypta has been in place for 4 years without showing any stains until paint was applied recently. The house originally had damp in the walls until it was re-rendered, but has been dry for several years now. Is it possible that there is something in the wall that can bleed through from the plaster once it is painted? (I think that Black ash mortar has been used in the construction)
If I re-plaster the walls, what type of sealer will stop this from happening again?

unless the walls are still damp, then go over with a stain block paint, and repaint.

Zinsser Coverstain will block. Solvent and stinks though and recently used on room with real fire smoke from over a100 years, with nicotine mixed in

@SJT by painting over the wallpaper, you will be causing more problems. You are only covering the damp that is already there rather than removing it. I strongly recommend getting to the source of the issue rather than covering it up for the short term.

If you decide to re-plaster you should use a waterproof plaster for added damp protection when using wallpaper. Wallpaper blocks airflow to your walls and is a big reason for damp walls.