stabilising artex ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

Hi lads,got heavish patterned artex ceiling to do 16m(big for me) and just wondered if any of you fellas stabilis before applying the wba etc? I was looking at the sandtex 1 from bnq? is it true if you mix stabiliser and pva together it kills the violent suction you get from artex ceilings? cheers lads

no, i do not do that. unless its unpainted and then i will. i will usually just use pva with a handful of multi mixed in or some blue grit mixed in. if its been painted and the pva is just hanging and wont dry or go tacky i will just sweep over it with my broom. last week on a large hallway in an empty house i used my leaf blower - on recommendation of olican. worked great. and i keep it in the van now for those occasions.

did the leaves not come through the finish when you troweled up........................:RpS_confused:

I used Everbuild stabilising solution on an unpainted artex ceiling. Left it to dry and used a normal pva/water mix. This method controlled the suction so the process was no different time wise to skimming plasterboard.The everbuild brand is easy to source online.

as it is a heavy pattern artex i would apply a coat of thistle bonding or overboard in case because you do not want to be able to see the pattern through the finished work.

Yes @malc I would always prefer to overboard but on a thin pattern thats unpainted I do sometimes re skim. Lost count of the times I have seen a re skim over artex and the artex shows through. The comb pattern is the main culprit for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
just put the first coat on thick enough that it fills and covers everything in the texture. then give it a good flatten and let it firm up a bit. it should be that once flattened its entirely pink. then 2nd coating and texture showing through isnt an issue.

or just bond the whole thing out first. trowels up much nicer

I hate artex! However I get a lot of work because of its stippled or combed uglyness so cant moan to much lol.:RpS_wub::RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.