Spotlights and insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
Just thought on. I've a flat fibreglass roof that's been insulated with knauf loft insulation.
Boarded and plastered. Cables in.

Now I've Just thought with the insulation and the heat from spots. ..is this a problem..potentially fatal?

Meant to leave a clearing, I believe 300mm either side. But you can also get a cover for the light

The ones you posted are just for fire rating. The ceiling. You can get fire rated spots. My concern is heat causing the lamps/fixtures to fail due to not being able to vent

Years ago they would use what was called a witches tit but now most lights come as a unit and are low energy so no problem using them,if your worried just poke the insulation out the way.

As @Danny says use led's then im sure you dont need to worry about this.more expensive to start with but will save you in the long run:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.
Next question then.
I've noticed you can buy led gu10 and 'led fxitures' just go with standard halogen spots but change the bulbs to led or buy the purpose made led fixtures ?

Just buy the proper led fittings, have a look at JCC lighting, quality lights with the hoods built in.

Well I thought that Danny. Fire rated is the time it will hold back a fire before getting g through the hole the spot has created in the ceiling. Halogens need to vent due to the heat. That's my concern. I'm going with led using fire rated halogen fittings. From what my spark said there the same thing.

Always better to use fire rated downlights, as mentioned they slow down the spread of fire.

As for the heat generated, LEDs are they way to sort that. Use standard fire rated GU10 DL bodies and the LED 'bulbs'. The main advantage being if/when one does fail you don't have to pull the light out of the ceiling to change it.

As for the heat generated, LEDs are they way to sort that. Use standard fire rated GU10 DL bodies and the LED 'bulbs'. The main advantage being if/when one does fail you don't have to pull the light out of the ceiling to change it.

This is exactly what we have done :)

Anyone got any suggestions as to which ones? S Prices vary so much! screwfix have some for £1.50! all the way up to £99

besides the way they look, is there anything special in them?

Also didnt know this...

Screen_Shot_2014_12_05_at_23_13_48.png

Status
Not open for further replies.