sponges

ruddez

are all medium sponge floats for skimming made of the same material or are some better than others eg refina,i see them in selcos,wickes, on amazon etc so just wondering which one to buy,cheers

I’ve not tried it, I’m 99.99% certain I never will. I just don’t get it
It's just a modern version of scouring up, something that has been done to finish plasters since time immemorial with cross grained and latterly plastic floats.
What I don't get is the weird timings for using that it I see.
Anyway it does work and is a useful tool to have in your armoury.

It's just a modern version of scouring up, something that has been done to finish plasters since time immemorial with cross grained and latterly plastic floats.
I’ve seen a few videos and they all look time consuming while trying to appear not time consuming.

I’ve seen a few videos and they all look time consuming while trying to appear not time consuming.
If done at the right time it will cut out one trowel.
Put on and lay in neatly and allow to firm up. Then scour the surface and shortly after trowel up. You'll only need to put the trowel round twice and get a great finish. It will look different, grainy, but will be really good.
Talking about using a float on finish plaster; I wonder how many people put a float down their internals before using their twitcher/internal trowel? It was always the done thing.

Put on and lay in neatly and allow to firm up. Then scour the surface and shortly after trowel up. You'll only need to put the trowel round twice and get a great finish. It will look different, grainy, but will be really good.
Talking about using a float on finish plaster; I wonder how many people put a float down their internals before using their twitcher/internal trowel? It was always the done thing.
Do you use this method?

Have you done this on the crap finish we are getting lately to see if it make it better?

Have you done this on the crap finish we are getting lately to see if it make it better?
Loads of times mate. There have been occasions where I've resorted to putting the float over it after the first trowel just to save the situation.
It was a method that we originally only used in the cold, damp conditions of winter on site work. You know when you have to do just two big moves rather than three comfortable ones.

Never done it Andy and I started inow 86 . But it's useful to know . Never used to get problems like we have today winter or summer. And always 3 sets a day with proper breaks for dinner aswell .

Never done it Andy and I started inow 86 . But it's useful to know . Never used to get problems like we have today winter or summer. And always 3 sets a day with proper breaks for dinner aswell .

3 hits a day with proper breakie and dinner breaks are long days mate.

Takes its toil on the body.

By the time I was born you’d been plastering for a year...

:burlas:

1A0D86DA-1F09-49BF-920C-3CA41B80C221.png

07C15FB5-FFBD-4B2C-B96D-606748D3AD96.png

What the f**k is happening?!
Well on the first picture it looks to me like it’s had one flatten off and at this stage I’m no expert but would think a cup of tea is in order and relax before second flatten off but oh no go into the garden pull out the garden sprayer , completely wet the wall through soaking wet then get an exterior sponge float , rub that skim with the thing then tbh I forgot all the rest , can’t be arsed to explain any further tbh

Well on the first picture it looks to me like it’s had one flatten off and at this stage I’m no expert but would think a cup of tea is in order and relax before second flatten off but oh no go into the garden pull out the garden sprayer , completely wet the wall through soaking wet then get an exterior sponge float , rub that skim with the thing then tbh I forgot all the rest , can’t be arsed to explain any further tbh
A cut and dry case of multi failure...

3 hits a day with proper breakie and dinner breaks are long days mate.

Takes its toil on the body.
that was the way back then and everyone worked the same but we had labourers to do all the donkey work .and remember back then on site we used proper planked out rooms for ceilings and all scrim was applied using a butter coat on the joints .lots of prep but you never had spreads working on there own so you were just spreading and nothing else .

I've seen this mate...fuucking pathetic.
Only watch the video to see for myself what’s involved before the sponge came out I have to say it was looking ok then

Beginners guide it was titled too
Gutter is where we are at

UOTE="Vincey, post: 1172452, member: 31406"]Only watch the video to see for myself what’s involved before the sponge came out I have to say it was looking ok then

Gutter is where we are at[/QUOTE]

Not really mate I'm keeping 2 sites running on my own.
Nobs like that are still living with their mum and dads.
Plenty of lads I know are raking it in.
I know a board/dabber on between £400/600 a day with his gang.....that's after he's paid the lads.
Plastering has and always will be what you put into it is what you get back (y)(y)(y)

UOTE="Vincey, post: 1172452, member: 31406"]Only watch the video to see for myself what’s involved before the sponge came out I have to say it was looking ok then

Gutter is where we are at

Not really mate I'm keeping 2 sites running on my own.
Nobs like that are still living with their mum and dads.
Plenty of lads I know are raking it in.
I know a board/dabber on between £400/600 a day with his gang.....that's after he's paid the lads.
Plastering has and always will be what you put into it is what you get back (y)(y)(y)[/QUOTE]

A plasterer I know asked me to help him in with a big ceiling,
"How do you want to put it on?" Says he

"Odd question!" Thought I..

"Just do your thing bud and I'll do mine"

Me : first coat . Tidy edges. Take lines out with speedskim. Cup of tea. Second coat . Clean down flatten once Mt, flatten twice cup of tea cross trowel done.
Him . First coat speedskim , pass with trowel second coat ,speedskim first pass trowel second pass trowel third pass "stiff" s*p*r*lex fourth pass "flexible" s*p*r*lex. Then a quick fifth one
I watched in bemusement

if you can finish with a trowel and a brush there is no need for a sponge. I cant see the point in them myself

I hate spreads that judge others get over your self, we should be helping each other not being spiteful dick heads

Not sure where that come from Burt ....but I know what your saying.
I don't think anyone here judges anyone else.
Except that pathetic excuse on how to skim a bag of skim.
It's pointing people in the wrong direction.

Christ your going back some there Andy, used to get cracking angles like that, I guess price work sort of blew it out like it did a lot of things

Ive had a go with it and it gives the walls a good finish, they set a nice even colour. The finish is no better than the traditional way for me and i think its abit messy and time consuming but some lads love it. Aslong as you get a good finish i reckon just do what works for you