Spongefloats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I've been Reading about spongefloats on here & seems like this was never covered on my course!!
Is there any training available or is it easy to pick up??
Just after a bit of info thanks.

I'm just off to price for a kitchen ceiling fingers crossed i get it lol.

erm.....

well spunky is the one I know that uses a sponge

Personally I have not seen anybody use a sponge and get a good finish and I have always associated sponging Finish with rough plasterers (just from what I have seen) If your doing domestic then there should be no reason to use a sponge as you should be on enough money and have plenty of time :)

Danny

If you use the sponge right you can get a perfect finish, i use to be right against them, untill a spread i was working for showed me how to use them properly and get more meters on the wall....Never looked back since.....Best thing i ever bought, you need to get the right ones though, cause when there new there shite and don't work properly...

Well on flat board work i would go round and fill out all the taped joints and all your beading frist, don't leave it to proud on the tapered joints when you fill them out, keep it flush, then once you've done that on all the walls your going to set, start laying on as normal a bit thicker than normal but not to thick, once it's all on, flatten it so no lines what so ever, then once it's picked up a bit, so you can touch with fingers and still see marks slightly...Flick water on with brush or sprayer and make sure sponge is wet to and rub up and down with sponge makeing sure you get all over, once sponged trowel up, might find you pull a lot of fat off....

You need to time it right, to late and it will look s**t and you won't get the sponge marks out, to early and it's to messy and to wet and the board and scrim can show through....

Hard to explain really, easier to show, it's not to everyones taste...Sometimes on domestic i can't be f**k*d to get it out, but on site i will...

If you do use it for frist time on site, i'd do a small area or cupboard incase you get caught out.....

I use it to my advantage, easier if your shown...Some people proberly do it different, as long as the finish is bang on, no one can say nothing....

im in the market for a new sponge float at the moment been a while scince i bought one so im haveing a good look at which ones to buy

Nice one Spunk, ive got a big Refina one which was only a couple of quid dearer and a Wickes one which is good but far to dear at about a tenner.

It woooorks way hey lol ....I prefer the coarse ones don't know why don't know WTF a sponge does to be honest

if i invest in a refina one what grain do you think is the best one to get?? i have one already but i bought it years nd years ago just cos i liked the look of it but diddnt really know wat it was for, then recently i tried it on plastering and **** me it was awsome, so i dnt know what grain sponge is the best to get

to keep my current one in a good condition i stick mine in a couple of those bags that the rolls of skirm come in, zip lock the top and it never dries out. obviously i take out as much water as i can before i put it in, cheers for the tip of which one to use :RpS_thumbup:

I dont use mine that often only if a hit is going off quick or im doing large areas etc, but i noticed that they clogg up and are no use use less really wet regulary which means you have to clean them as they clog and this scratches the surface rather than lightly ruffing it over.constant washing and scraping the s**t out of it fucks it quickly.
I know wash it wqih my 6 inch brush rather than scrape the gear off it and dip it water and apply next couple of m2.

spunks is they guy to ask mate.Hes swears buy them.
Pm him with a few nude photos of your missus and hell be most appriative ;)

haha my misses has had 2 kids now dnt think hed appretciate them pics haha although i might get te birthing pics out for him haha..... actually i know what spunks is like and he will enjoy them pics so mabey i wnt haha

Spunks mate is fu c k i n g twisted beyond repair and love to see em mate.Anyhow ..... But his knowlege of sponging women and finnish plaster is second to none !!!

had the same the other day mate worked with a spread crackd out the sponge and plazzy at the end of the day he told me ive revolutionised plastering for him saw him today he ownes one of each haha although i only sponge on a 2 coat skim i dnt do one coat, only if i was on site and the prices were properly shite

mmmmm ive never really been a one coat guy to be honest but i will if im on site and the prices are sheite, i find if you sponge a 2 coat re-skim it evens out the finish nicley with less work, i usually lay on both coats and cross trowel with the ss trowels i use makeing sure everything is perfect then crack the sponge out ss trowel it then cross trowel with plastic, usually that i up to a standard that most plasterers leave with a double wet ss wet trowel , then one more pass over with the plazzy and its absolutaly perfect, not a single blemish not even a teeny tiny one, honestly mate wen you told me bout the sponge i was weary of it, but i tried it on a 2 coat reskim that got ahead of me and it finished soooo good i played around with the tech of it and now love it.
still use the brush sometimes though if i cnt be arsed with the sponge.
oh yeah thanks for the sponge teckers knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.