sponge floats and basecoat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartspread

When basecoating ready for texture I've always used a sponge float to smooth everything out but I'm coming across basecoats that just can't be sponge floated, it's like the material dries just on the surface and drags. I find just using the spat doesn't quite do it for me. Surely someone else has come across this.......what are you doing I've seen people using sanders the next day but it would be much better to finish it the same day.

When basecoating ready for texture I've always used a sponge float to smooth everything out but I'm coming across basecoats that just can't be sponge floated, it's like the material dries just on the surface and drags. I find just using the spat doesn't quite do it for me. Surely someone else has come across this.......what are you doing I've seen people using sanders the next day but it would be much better to finish it the same day.

You mean thin coat systems right your trying to sponge the base like you must have done previously with others such as Wetherby perhaps and they sponge nice Is that right.

If that's right then sponging on a thin coat base was always and is still a get out of jail sort of way.
It works with the like of wby hp12 because there is not much polymer and it hangs around.
Now if your coming across base coats that are tearing that's because your using a better quality product with enough polymer adhesive for insulated systems. They always have and always will tear.
You don't really sponge thin coat base just Lear how to finish it of the spatch nest way is 2 coats. Most adhesives spec a second pass anyway day around 4/5mm first pass and 1/2 mm pass over the mesh. Finish of the spatch. It does work.

P's. Chuck the sponge that's for solid work.

;)

You mean thin coat systems right your trying to sponge the base like you must have done previously with others such as Wetherby perhaps and they sponge nice Is that right.

If that's right then sponging on a thin coat base was always and is still a get out of jail sort of way.
It works with the like of wby hp12 because there is not much polymer and it hangs around.
Now if your coming across base coats that are tearing that's because your using a better quality product with enough polymer adhesive for insulated systems. They always have and always will tear.
You don't really sponge thin coat base just Lear how to finish it of the spatch nest way is 2 coats. Most adhesives spec a second pass anyway day around 4/5mm first pass and 1/2 mm pass over the mesh. Finish of the spatch. It does work.

P's. Chuck the sponge that's for solid work.

;)
Yeah I've always used wetherby or sps basecoat until recently.
I always do 2 coats notch trowel first bed in the mesh then give it another tight coat I know people finish it with the spatch I struggle tho. I have done it with water and my trowel like skimming but this is more time consuming than the sponge float.
How long after putting on your second coat do you leave it before finishing with the spatch or are you doing it straight after putting it on?

After your first coat with the mesh has picked up a bit just enough to press on with the trowel, lay a thin second coat nice and tight finish as you spread.
Some lads second pass the following day.

Wetherby base is usually just hp12 so it behaves like a normal masonry render.

Yeah I've always used wetherby or sps basecoat until recently.
I always do 2 coats notch trowel first bed in the mesh then give it another tight coat I know people finish it with the spatch I struggle tho. I have done it with water and my trowel like skimming but this is more time consuming than the sponge float.
How long after putting on your second coat do you leave it before finishing with the spatch or are you doing it straight after putting it on?
Depends on the weather.
Usually as its firming. Light spray with water and spat it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.