Sponge floating

Members online

Jimbo95

Tried the sponge and couldn’t get the sponge marks completely out. when using sponge do you flatten the final coat sooner than normal and apply the sponge straight away while the wall is still pretty wet? And do you flatten out the sponge marks straight away or wait a bit? Would really appreciate some tips thanks.

Tried the sponge and couldn’t get the sponge marks completely out. when using sponge do you flatten the final coat sooner than normal and apply the sponge straight away while the wall is still pretty wet? And do you flatten out the sponge marks straight away or wait a bit? Would really appreciate some tips thanks.
Bin the sponge for everyday skimming, it's an unnecessary. It all seems pointless me, I use one trowel start to finish most of the time.
20200622_143002.jpg

cheers mate I have a decent finish without it but I saw someone use one years ago and his work was perfect so thought I would try. Thanks

You must be talking about rendering or washing the car, surely you can't be talking about sponging skim I thought we got past all that nonsense, go youtube if you wanna get involved with all that jibba jabba!

I've done it a few times out of curiosity and scrapped it like @paulf Said it's pointless only barely any difference to my work without using one,

This is how I'd do it.
First coat maybe 25% more than you typically would in a set.
Flatten with a blue blade speedskim straight away, bigger the better.
Sort out all your internals and brushing.
Second coat and again flatten with speedskim straight away.
Once it's picked up and ready for a first trowel, give it a light mist with clean water, 1 wall at a time. Once the wall is dampened, give it a sponge with a figure of 8 motion over the whole wall. Make sure the sponge is wet and wash it out after each wall is sponged.
Once the first wall is sponged, give it a trowel. Make sure you move the gear around and keep your trowel clean. Don't leave any sponge marks in the wall.
Do this on all walls.
Then treat it as you would with second trowel.
You can afford for the gear to go a bit on each wall as the sponge brings it back. Keep the sponge wet but the wall just dampened.
It slows the set down so you may aswell put more on than you usually do, otherwise it's pointless.

This is how I'd do it.
Once it's picked up and ready for a first trowel, give it a light mist with clean water, 1 wall at a time. Once the wall is dampened, give it a sponge with a figure of 8 motion over the whole wall. Make sure the sponge is wet and wash it out after each wall is sponged.
Once the first wall is sponged, give it a trowel. Make sure you move the gear around and keep your trowel clean. Don't leave any sponge marks in the wall.
Do this on all walls.
You can afford for the gear to go a bit on each wall as the sponge brings it back. Keep the sponge wet but the wall just dampened.
It slows the set down so you may aswell put more on than you usually do, otherwise it's pointless.
Chancer!

This is how I'd do it.
Do this on all walls.
Sorry when you say 25% more with first coat do you mean make the coat thicker or flatten sooner? Thanks

Sorry when you say 25% more with first coat do you mean make the coat thicker or flatten sooner? Thanks
I mean do more meterage. If you normally do 100m2 a set then do 125m2. The sponge gives you time, you may aswell have more gear on or you're just finishing later

Once it's picked up and ready for a first trowel, give it a light mist with clean water, 1 wall at a time. Once the wall is dampened, give it a sponge with a figure of 8 motion over the whole wall.

@Jimbo95 don't overlook this little detail. I'm not big on sponging but I can tell you that you probably made the mistake of leaving your sponged wall too long before troweling it. When you sponge your wall, you have (generally speaking) no more than 5 minutes before it needs troweling, because you have to bear in mind that the plaster has already begin to pull-in before you livened it with a wet sponge - that means it will pull-in rapidly after sponging, and that can catch you out if the sponge marks don't stay soft enough to smooth out properly.

As soon as the wet glossy shine on the wall from the sponging water begins to go slightly satin/dull, you need to get busy troweling it, pronto. In summer, this can be immediately after you've completed sponging. In winter, 5+ mins or so. This can vary slightly depending on the suction of the wall, or if there's central heating, etc., but you get the general idea.

If you struggle to trowel the wall fast enough, to get all the sponge marks out, then a metal-blade spatula (or speedskim SF) can help you.

Skimming-spatula-flexible-24.jpg
Speedskim SF.jpg

Blue plastic speedskim ST for flattening fresh plaster, metal blade speedskim for smoothing-out sponge marks. If you're confident and quick with a trowel, then you may not need any speedskims. If you feel like using speedskims, then remember that you can buy one speedskim and then buy a different blade for it, to save money.

I'm not one of the 'haters' of people who like to use sponging, but, ideally, you should try to learn to plaster without sponging. IMO, sponging is better used for occasional situations where there is uneven suction on a wall, etc., where it can make life easier.

This is how I'd do it.
Do this on all walls.
yet again another bunch of over-complicated bollox posted on here

ffs.gif

yet again another bunch of over-complicated bollox posted on here

ffs-gif.65788

Has Hector been coaching you? :ROFLMAO:

no..... Nath

To be fair, no one is promoting sponging. The guy specifically asked about it.

Often, it's too easy to just slam someone and judge them for asking a controversial question in the TPF bear pit, rather than calmly answering what they asked.

IMO, it's nice to see someone answering a sincere question with a sincere answer, but I do get where you're coming from (y)

You remind me of Wayne's mechanic, Roger, on Chasing Classic Cars.

ffs-gif.65788

To be fair, no one is promoting sponging. The guy specifically asked about it.

Often, it's too easy to just slam someone and judge them for asking a controversial question in the TPF bear pit, rather than calmly answering what they asked.

IMO, it's nice to see someone answering a sincere question with a sincere answer, but I do get where you're coming from (y)

You remind me of Wayne's mechanic, Roger, on Chasing Classic Cars.
commendable response but its still all bollox

Why not just float the wall with a wooden float like the old timers did and bin the sponge. If u want a perfect finish

commendable response but its still all bollox
I gave that advise on the assumption that the guy asking was a competent spread.
It can be done that way, I'm not suggesting it's ideal or required. Just how it should be done if it is going to be sponged.
I don't do it but I could

I gave that advise on the assumption that the guy asking was a competent spread.
It can be done that way, I'm not suggesting it's ideal or required. Just how it should be done if it is going to be sponged.
why on gods fkin earth would anyone need to sponge float skim?
I just don't fkin get it pal

I fuucking love that radio mate

not skimming the tops anymore (y) :birra:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-201246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-201246_Gallery.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20211108-201010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-201010_Gallery.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_20211108-201223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-201223_Gallery.jpg