Sponge float!

Members online

Sod it i might try it now if someone can advise me just got my second coat on and done a quick speedy over it, should I sponge it all now or wait for a bit ?

View attachment 18410
Curiosity got you hasn't it, I'm the same I feel like I need to know what the fuss is all about, same when a new trowel or speedskim or something comes out I feel like I have to have it!

I'm no masterpiece of plaster knowledge but wanted to know, with this sponge malarkey is it not just drawing all the fat to the surface to finish really? And how long have people been doing it ? I see it's been done on the continent for years with there one coat knauf type plasters so was wondering has this type of finishing come from the continent, tbh I doubt the plasterers in uk and Ireland ever use to do this sponge thing back in the day , say like in 1890 or even in 1972
Work with a couple of old guys about 30 years ago who used to wooden float all their skimming finish was second to none but that died out when people stopped getting paid for what they did and started getting paid for how much they did

Last question I got (and I mean no offence) my mate who works on sites says everyone who doesn't use a sponge calls sponge users "sponge monkeys " , why is that?

I think I might have a blast with the sponge dose it have to be sprayed with water before you sponge it or just when its pull in a bit zombie could do with a quick video to see what's what

I'm no masterpiece of plaster knowledge but wanted to know, with this sponge malarkey is it not just drawing all the fat to the surface to finish really? And how long have people been doing it ? I see it's been done on the continent for years with there one coat knauf type plasters so was wondering has this type of finishing come from the continent, tbh I doubt the plasterers in uk and Ireland ever use to do this sponge thing back in the day , say like in 1890 or even in 1972
They never had the tools we use now in 1890 or 1972
If there would of been plasterboard in 1890 no one would of pissed about with lath and plaster. Plus you would of been going to work with a horse and cart.
Times Change and so do methods and if it makes it eisier it got to be a good thing

Tried the sponge after watching RWF067 videos, looks like a great finish on the videos, but for me was a disaster, had to trowel the hell to remove lines caused by the sponge. Obviously had my timings all wrong but the experience put me off using it again.
I've used it to save work more than not but I used a steel trowel to take lines out immediately so then I wasn't using a speedskim etc more trowelling sometimes feel like yer trashing yer work but the finish comes up top notch

Try a fine paint pad or a fine sponge and keep it clean, if you get shite stuck in the sponge it'll drag lines like you've caught a bit of shite on you're first trowel and you can't get rid of it
Done right it's alright about as good as any s**t plasterer

It's gonna have to be @algeeman that does it for us all

:club:

im busy at the minute looking at villas in crete.....for a break from it all in the kids summer hols......

both around 6k mark villa only.
gonna ask parents in laws to join us hopfully they will pay half !!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170620-213735.png
    Screenshot_20170620-213735.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 321
  • Screenshot_20170620-213631.png
    Screenshot_20170620-213631.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 320
My name is Dropsalot, and I have used a sponge. There, it's out, I've said it........

I've used it when my backing coat really pulled in. Lightly wet plaster surface, soak the sponge , rub the plaster all over, keep wetting sponge (I use a spray). All I am trying to do is to slurry the surface a bit. Then I trowel the resulting slurry all over the work, thus getting an even coverage of slurry over the whole of the work. For me it is a rescue strategy, not the norm. Just another useful tool.

im busy at the minute looking at villas in crete.....for a break from it all in the kids summer hols......

Hi I'm going on holiday and it costs loads of money I'm bisexual and my wife only smiles at me when I'm looking because she thinks I m loaded but really shes f**k**g his brother who's skint but is better looking and isn't a t**t

Hi I'm going on holiday and it costs loads of money I'm bisexual and my wife only smiles at me when I'm looking because she thinks I m loaded but really shes f**k**g his brother who's skint but is better looking and isn't a t**t

im not interested in your shiit life.

I bet you want to see the pics of my holiday?
I'm on the beach in me grundies licking the peaks of my ice cream

Lol thinking look at that miserable c**t over there in his villa he's thinking why aren't they looking at me.........

Please don't take it the wrong way it's just that when people start dropping prices into things most people think ooh what a t**t even though there saying oooooh really?
Just thought I'd give you a heads up

By the way I didn't think I mentioned but I wrote all this on my iPhone 5c that costs 17 pound per month

nice looking villa that

Let's be honest , most of the great techniques and materials are currently coming from Germany, and the Germans are doing it with a sponge. It took me some ages t convince my self to put the sponge on the wall , but eventually I did it. With all the different suction on site and shite multi, I am afraid lads that's the only way to have consistent finish on daily basis . I will be surprised if BG won't put it on the bag , they should, if they want to sell the crap with the black grit in it ! Let's see what response the " non monkeys" will give us then :rolleyes:

Tried the sponge after watching RWF067 videos, looks like a great finish on the videos, but for me was a disaster, had to trowel the hell to remove lines caused by the sponge. Obviously had my timings all wrong but the experience put me off using it again.
Did you keep repeating the word" guy's" over and over again ? i heard it helps when sponging.

Let's be honest , most of the great techniques and materials are currently coming from Germany, and the Germans are doing it with a sponge. It took me some ages t convince my self to put the sponge on the wall , but eventually I did it. With all the different suction on site and shite multi, I am afraid lads that's the only way to have consistent finish on daily basis . I will be surprised if BG won't put it on the bag , they should, if they want to sell the crap with the black grit in it ! Let's see what response the " non monkeys" will give us then :rolleyes:
The plaster in germany is one coat completely different to ours they need a sponge to bring fst to the surface

I was the same as most on here and have always skimmed with two coats and trowelled up with a steel trowel, but last few years the finish has changed and on the final polish I could feel the backing coat moving about. So then I tried to be more gentle and my work looked good until it dried and then tiger stripes , hollows the lot it was embarrassing so now I've tried the sponge float immediately after laying down and straight over it lightly with a supaflex to flatten out and it makes the finish cream up and gives good results the only problem is it delays the set by about 30 - 60 mins
20181011_150456.jpg
20181011_150442.jpg

I watched the rwf video as much for comedy reasons really, he is like a headless chicken that guy looks like he completely drenched his ceiling with a sprayer before sponging, surely makes the whole set slower?

I saw a bloke spraying a while back. His trowel was more like a window cleaner's blade by the end of it with really wet fat sluicing out the side. I think he went lay on twice and then flatten with MT, then wet fcuk out of it and run a flexible over it. To be fair, the other stuff he'd done about the place was bang on.

I was the same as most on here and have always skimmed with two coats and trowelled up with a steel trowel, but last few years the finish has changed and on the final polish I could feel the backing coat moving about. So then I tried to be more gentle and my work looked good until it dried and then tiger stripes , hollows the lot it was embarrassing so now I've tried the sponge float immediately after laying down and straight over it lightly with a supaflex to flatten out and it makes the finish cream up and gives good results the only problem is it delays the set by about 30 - 60 minsView attachment 27159View attachment 27160

@BritishGypsum

I’ve used a sponge for 15 years and I always lay down my second coat and let it pull in slightly then sponge and trowel twice with a stainless steel mt
Then polish with a plazzi
I tried flattening with a plazzi but ended up looking a bit ruf when painted but looked great before