Sponge float!

Members online

I was encouraged to use the sponge at College but it's not a technique I ever became familiar with, I don't know how to use one or at what stage of the set it is useful I'd be willing to give it a try if I knew more....

I was encouraged to use the sponge at College but it's not a technique I ever became familiar with, I don't know how to use one or at what stage of the set it is useful I'd be willing to give it a try if I knew more....

Stick a heavy coat on flatten in when picked up slightly dampen sponge and trowel up the wall with it, leave it for 2mins then gently trowel up wall removing any excess as you go and putting onto handboard.

Another quick trowel and jobs a guden...

Done right best finish you will ever achieve A1 ....

Done badly absoloute dog shite!!!!

I was taught all about sponges when i was at collage . It was a great course and my victoria sponge is the talk of my local WI.(y)

A fella worked with us about ten years ago swore by the sponge. And in all fairness actually was one the best plasterers about. Grade a w**k*r to boot Though lol split personality.

Wish i had one an knew how to use it yesterday total c..t of a job hsl reskim. Chasing it all day

I only ever use one for patching, never tried it on any bigger, but for patching it's the dogs bollix

I watched the rwf video as much for comedy reasons really, he is like a headless chicken that guy looks like he completely drenched his ceiling with a sprayer before sponging, surely makes the whole set slower?

He dunt know his are from his elbow mate!

If he's not a courser playing at being at it years I'll stand hanging!

Complete charlatan!

I always use a sponge on skimming I personally think it's a great finish
Plus it's far eisier to trowel up and gets it flat and works well on curved ceilings.
But it's like any form of plastering if it works well for you stick with it.

I'm no masterpiece of plaster knowledge but wanted to know, with this sponge malarkey is it not just drawing all the fat to the surface to finish really? And how long have people been doing it ? I see it's been done on the continent for years with there one coat knauf type plasters so was wondering has this type of finishing come from the continent, tbh I doubt the plasterers in uk and Ireland ever use to do this sponge thing back in the day , say like in 1890 or even in 1972

I'm no masterpiece of plaster knowledge but wanted to know, with this sponge malarkey is it not just drawing all the fat to the surface to finish really? And how long have people been doing it ? I see it's been done on the continent for years with there one coat knauf type plasters so was wondering has this type of finishing come from the continent, tbh I doubt the plasterers in uk and Ireland ever use to do this sponge thing back in the day , say like in 1890 or even in 1972
Any old boy would take the sponge off you and beat you with it.

Back years ago they would use a cross grain float to get skim flat and bring the fat up.

IMG-20170620-WA0000.jpeg

Tried the sponge after watching RWF067 videos, looks like a great finish on the videos, but for me was a disaster, had to trowel the hell to remove lines caused by the sponge. Obviously had my timings all wrong but the experience put me off using it again.

Sod it i might try it now if someone can advise me just got my second coat on and done a quick speedy over it, should I sponge it all now or wait for a bit ?

IMG_6361.JPG