Splash brush or spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some mong on my youtube this week telling me that a sprayer isnt what PROPER plasterers use!

Useing a splash brush means 200 journeys a day back and forth to your bucket, with water that gets dirtyer as the day goes on and drips everywhere.

Where as a sprayer is always with you, is a constant source of clean water and is far more acurate.

So if thats wrong, I dont want to be a PROPER plasterer.

No doubt 20 years ago, that type of person said a drill and whisk isnt what proper plasterers use.

kirk johnstone said:
i like my brush because you can constantly clean the back edge of your trowel off

I use a brush too, and also do the same.

You can hold both brush and sprayer in your left hand at the same time, its just a 2 inch tickling up the angles brush.

Go get a sprayer mate you will not look back honestly.

agree with nelly but i always get stick for using spray, they call me names like hairdresser lol but they always ask to borrow it at some point :D :D fickin mongs ;D ;D

nelly said:
kirk johnstone said:
i like my brush because you can constantly clean the back edge of your trowel off

I use a brush too, and also do the same.

You can hold both brush and sprayer in your left hand at the same time, its just a 2 inch tickling up the angles brush.

how much do they cost mate?

Go get a sprayer mate you will not look back honestly.
roughas said:
agree with nelly but i always get stick for using spray, they call me names like hairdresser lol but they always ask to borrow it at some point :D :D fickin mongs ;D ;D

who is they? do you hear the voices ass well?

I use small 1 inch brush for my lines...large masonry brush for wiping trowell and a decent sprayer...sprayer is ideal imo...just use very fine mist...keeps the amount of water on the wall to a minimum and keeps your work clean...I find a splash brush too messy but then again i didn't use one for long!

I use a brush had a go with a spray but i am stuck in my ways with a brush so still use a brush. I dont use that much water when troweling up unless im on thermalites then its water going every where.

Know what you mean. I'll give it a go but I dont want to be carrying loads more tools if you know what I mean.
At the mo I just use a 4" splash brush and 1" brush for my edges.

Chris W said:
kirk johnstone said:

im with stupid ^

Me to, tried a spray but just found I was putting it down all the time anyway. I do use a spray for outside rendering and have done for many years they're spot on for that.

Been thinking about this, I vaguely remember it was a pain at first having 3 things in my hands, but after a bit it becomes second nature...............like useing a handboard and trowel really.

2 brushes, one 4 inch and one 1 inch for the angles. make sure they are decent and you won't go wrong.

have you got a video on youtube then? do you lot use the pump up and spray type or the keep pressing the trigger type

use a pasting brush myself, stiff bristles. Just for cleaning the trowel and on rare rare occassions actually throwing water at the wall. My old man used to go crazy with the brush

splash
splash
pop
splash
splash
pop

Ah bugger, better get some more halogens in here big boy ;D

FlashingBlade said:
I do like a good spray, cool you down in the summer too ;)
;D
I do that too,

I use both but on empty houses with no furniture, no carpets etc i usually use a brush,
but when on domestic with carpets etc i tend to use a spray it keeps dirty water from going everywhere windows etc.
Was taught with brush but do prefer spray now.
Also use 1" brush on angles.

Could someone please explain what all this "1in brush on angles" that so many of you mention is all about, I've never carried a 1in brush for plastering am I missing out on something?

essexandy said:
Could someone please explain what all this "1in brush on angles" that so many of you mention is all about, I've never carried a 1in brush for plastering am I missing out on something?
Try one mate. It just works the plaster in corners/ tight spots better without markin parts of the edge you dont want to touch. Think I've explained that right. Just give one a go. If you dont like it then it works just as good for puttin blusher on yer cheeks! :-*

Bruce Willis said:
essexandy said:
Try one mate. It just works the plaster in corners/ tight spots better without markin parts of the edge you dont want to touch. Think I've explained that right. Just give one a go. If you dont like it then it works just as good for puttin blusher on yer cheeks! :-*

i just use a mop ;D

kirk johnstone said:
Bruce Willis said:
essexandy said:

i just use a mop ;D

What for putting your blusher on? ;D

essexandy said:
kirk johnstone said:
Bruce Willis said:
essexandy said:

i just use a mop ;D

What for putting your blusher on? ;D

no, for my angles silly.
i use my trowel for putting my make up on ;)

Nisus said:
I do that too,

I use both but on empty houses with no furniture, no carpets etc i usually use a brush,
but when on domestic with carpets etc i tend to use a spray it keeps dirty water from going everywhere windows etc.
Was taught with brush but do prefer spray now.
Also use 1" brush on angles.

And thats the thing.

I too was taught with a brush, but the reason was, sprayers simply did not exist.

I was taught to mix with a stick, because the drill and whisk simply did not exist back then.

The one thing I have learnt and encourage everyone to do, is try new things, give it a go, if it doesnt work then bin it, but if it does work, then you have made a hard job, that little bit easier.

Lets face it plastering has to be in the top ten hardest jobs there is, anything that makes it easier or cleaner or more comfortable, has to be a good thing in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.