speedskim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenmg42

Just watched a video on YouTube about speedskim not sure about it....am old school...trowel &water brush,is it good or what....

Meant to be great for flattening.
I tend to put the guts of two bags on first coat so the stuff is fairly well on by the time I have it on, would it be green enough to flatten at that stage or would I be better off ( with speedskim) flattening first half of gauge once I have it on??
Basically flatten when soft/green or ok when firmed up a bit?

What about when you've second coated? Same time as you would with trowel or asap

Meant to be great for flattening.
I tend to put the guts of two bags on first coat so the stuff is fairly well on by the time I have it on, would it be green enough to flatten at that stage or would I be better off ( with speedskim) flattening first half of gauge once I have it on??
Basically flatten when soft/green or ok when firmed up a bit?
I can manage two bags before flattening big k,you should be ok,I do like it to pull in slightly (not like when you flatten with a trowel just a bit firmer)as when really wet I tend to mess about with it more and is harder to get flat.did you get an eze spat?

Only tried the speedskim once and was the old grey cavity closer blade and only the fact it didnt belong to me it would have been in the skip!!! I believe the new blades are much better but once i used the eze spat i was very pleased and sticking with it and after 12months or so just gets better and better.

When I use mine, I am a bricklayer :).... first coat in flatten with speed skim soon as its on saves you time here no doubt ..

2nd coat on flatten with speed skim ,next I use trowel to make sure no imperfection I think this is a must !! .. then when it's pulled in I use speed skim with plenty of water on blade
Then I may just check all is good with trowel ..
I mainly use for the bigger walls if I am honest ...it's a good kit to have to make life a little easier ...

I can finish with the eze spat apart from troweling the angles. I have the 1m and 600 spats ceilings and big walls are a doddle and almost makes the job too easy

i have 2 speedskims and have used them a lot in the last couple of years but after getting a refina spat they are getting left in the van a lot more ....

i have 2 speedskims and have used them a lot in the last couple of years but after getting a refina spat they are getting left in the van a lot more ....
The refina ones seem a bit flimsy and i like how you can change the blades with the eze. @scottie5 uses the speedskim tho and his work is spot on

I can manage two bags before flattening big k,you should be ok,I do like it to pull in slightly (not like when you flatten with a trowel just a bit firmer)as when really wet I tend to mess about with it more and is harder to get flat.did you get an eze spat?

I did, and I find it the dogs b*ll***s for finishing, the last two trowels.
I use it for flattening big ceilings too, but hard as I try I tend to get the streaky bacon look on it from flattening.
When finished it can look a bit shady but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
As Marshy says, a bit more time with it will probably be better but just thought I'd give the speedskim a whirl for flattening.

Status
Not open for further replies.