speedskim st600 blade

lurpak

Artex Boy
I've just tried out a speedskim for the first time, after much reading on here.. from what I gathered, the proven method was to lay on and speedskim immediately while wet. Lay in 2nd and speedskim immediately again. I noticed straight away it produced ripples (even on first) on both board and re-skim. Does the blade need wearing in? I've considered shaping it as it's just like a chunk of plastic, no edge on it?

Thanks in advance

I have always liked the speedskim

Same story, horses for courses, tools for fools.

Tried and tried but just couldn't get it to work for me. Always ended up with a line on the ceiling at last minute that I ended up troweling out.

The blue st blade is very good.

Agree. I don't have the experience of most on here but I think its a brilliant bit of kit. Depends on your expectations...can you get a finished product with it? Possibly, I've got very close, but for flattening etc, what's not to like?! Stick it on a pole, flatten your ceiling in minutes, saves standing on a beer crate! :D

Agree. I don't have the experience of most on here but I think its a brilliant bit of kit. Depends on your expectations...can you get a finished product with it? Possibly, I've got very close, but for flattening etc, what's not to like?! Stick it on a pole, flatten your ceiling in minutes, saves standing on a beer crate! :D
It’s uncomfortable to hold and for me drags and tears at the plaster. I’d rather go without one personally.

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
It’s uncomfortable to hold and for me drags and tears at the plaster. I’d rather go without one personally.

Never found that tbf mate. Ive only got a 2 footer :D, but the first time I used it was on a 23m lid and it surpassed my expectations. A bit OTT to describe it that way perhaps, but at the time, it was a big deal to me :bailando:

Never found that tbf mate. Ive only got a 2 footer :D, but the first time I used it was on a 23m lid and it surpassed my expectations. A bit OTT to describe it that way perhaps, but at the time, it was a big deal to me :bailando:
Everyone seems to say they are great but I just didn’t get on with it. Practice and timings all play a part I suspect

3 passes and you can get it close enough with the speedskim with the right timings.

1st pass.
Screenshot_2017-03-18-19-34-43.png

2nd pass.
Screenshot_2017-03-18-19-35-10.png

3rd pass.

Screenshot_2017-03-18-19-35-36-1.png

Thanks for the replies. I think i’ll hold fire with sanding it.

I think timing is always the key but everybody does that differently. I work alongside a 30+ year experience spread and we do things quite different. he uses 1 mt 14” for everything. Makes me laugh as in my view the gear is going off and he is telling me its still piss wet when it’s turning dark lol. He always gets it bang on but it requires alot of heavy trowelling.

3 passes and you can get it close enough with the speedskim with the right timings.

1st pass.
View attachment 23009
2nd pass.
View attachment 23010
3rd pass.

View attachment 23011

What’s your process mate? Do you alter it on re-skims? Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I think i’ll hold fire with sanding it.

I think timing is always the key but everybody does that differently. I work alongside a 30+ year experience spread and we do things quite different. he uses 1 mt 14” for everything. Makes me laugh as in my view the gear is going off and he is telling me its still piss wet when it’s turning dark lol. He always gets it bang on but it requires alot of heavy trowelling.

What’s your process mate? Do you alter it on re-skims? Thanks

i dont think there's a need to sand it mate well maybe just on the corners just round them off slightly or just bend them in slighty away from the work.
I find a heavier first coat flattened off fairly quickly then a thinner coat to lay in flattened off with a bit more pressure. if your leaving ripples or lines as said already alter the angle reduce it a bit it wants to be quite shallow probably round about 20 degrees or so and also back off with the pressure a bit to start with,
Sometimes it's a case of less is more as it takes very little pressure to flatten with when the gear is wet.

Same story, horses for courses, tools for fools.

Tried and tried but just couldn't get it to work for me. Always ended up with a line on the ceiling at last minute that I ended up troweling out.
I never finish with one

I never finish with one

Badly explained by me...I'd be flattening a ceiling and it always seemed I'd pick something up on the last pass and draw a big line down the ceiling.
I probably clout it against the wall at the end and picked up some shite.

It obviously owrks for some, but I use stilts now so I'm up there anyway and it's straight to Nela unless I get a new blade for my 28" plastic.

Badly explained by me...I'd be flattening a ceiling and it always seemed I'd pick something up on the last pass and draw a big line down the ceiling.
I probably clout it against the wall at the end and picked up some shite.

It obviously owrks for some, but I use stilts now so I'm up there anyway and it's straight to Nela unless I get a new blade for my 28" plastic.
I always seemed to drag s**t through the work as well, never get that with a spat or trowel.