Speedskim sf

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find it good to flatten your first and second coats, but you still have to finish with a trowel. its good for large areas though.

Hi all

We know that its entirely up to the Plasterer but we believe going over the work with the trowel is just a habit. The link below shows a customer video (Aaron - Ultimate Plastering - based in Bexley, Kent) He purchased the SF a few weeks ago and really likes it. We went out to visit Aaron and he was still using his trowel to finish (as some of you have said). We asked him why he was using the trowel still to finish and he couldn't really say why. So we said try to kick the habit of using the trowel for the final passes and let us know you get on...

He got back to us a day or two later and said he only uses the trowel now for application and to do the edges/internals. The other advantage of breaking the trowel habit using the SF does mean a significant reduction in wrist fatigue, any stresses can be spread over the two hands and the unit does not have to be gripped tightly, which is what causes the wrist trauma. Also the 600 SF only weighs 550g.

For those who do want to reduce fatigue and avoid the trowel it is a solution. Aaron was feeling it (and hes only 28 - but says the wrist pain is pretty much gone now. Reckons he is getting home earlier too.

Again it is up to the Plasterer but worth trying to break the trowel habit if you can..

Breaking in the Speedskim SF:

By design the SF is almost broken in from new but it will take a couple of days to fully break the blade in. Good news is it is only takes a couple of days - not weeks/months. If you do want to accelerate the breaking in process you can buff the edge and the ends of the stainless steel tip with a 220 grit pad. These pads can be sourced from B&Q and Halfords.

http://youtu.be/H0EG-Paq-Hg

Speedskim

Speedskim

Last edited:
I've got to say I wasn't that happy with the finish I was getting with the SF but after persevering with it and trying it at different times I am now really happy with the standard of work.I am achieving. Best of all is the reduced effort that I'm putting in to get the finish that I'm getting. If you are prepared to try doing things a bit differently and your not going too give up on the first attempt I'd say give them a go, I know I'm pleased I persevered with them.

i find it good to flatten your first and second coats, but you still have to finish with a trowel. its good for large areas though.

The ST is the grey or blue one, used for flattening and the SF is the one with the stainless steel tip used to finish with.

Tat wall looks pretty set to me looks like he's using it to cross trowel with the tool than trowel up... Can't wait to use mine tho.

I've got to say I wasn't that happy with the finish I was getting with the SF but after persevering with it and trying it at different times I am now really happy with the standard of work.I am achieving. Best of all is the reduced effort that I'm putting in to get the finish that I'm getting. If you are prepared to try doing things a bit differently and your not going too give up on the first attempt I'd say give them a go, I know I'm pleased I persevered with them.

Hi mate - yeah its all about changing your normal routine/timing - this will take a few days for sure. Once you nail that down you are up and running, and getting the full benefits from the system :RpS_thumbup:

think i'll be waiting til I can try a m8s finishing blade before buying ... can finish walls with 2 passes with a refina plazzi if used right

Going over the work with a trowel is a habit every spread should have.and never loose.

Yeah that's perfectly fine mate and I do understand. For those that want to use the trowel as little as possible - or for those who suffer a lot with pain its offering a solution.

Do TPF members get any discount? Gona try the sf blade? @Speedskim

Hi mate - we have got a discount scheme organised with Danny at the moment - through Plasterers News (checkout coupons). Danny may well have emailed Forum members the details on this in his end of month round up. Worth asking Danny :)

For anyone who hasn't yet - Plasterers News is a great read! :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.