Speedskim knighted

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used them for a while, great tool but I find that the bend after a few months and are costly to be a disposable tool, plasterers1 stop shop do an eze one with a changeable blade though which seems to be more sensible than the Refina route

Hi mate, the Speedskim blade is replaceable and economically sold as twin pack.
The original back in early 2012 was a fixed blade version but was soon changed/modified to be replaceable.
It's been a journey like most products but it is pretty much honed now.
We recently introduced a gasket system on the ST (blue) to reduce silt ingress into the blade slot. This means easier blade change, reduced maintenance, and overall better performance. This wasn't an easy modification, creating a good seal but still allowing adequate blade expansion was a tough task in engineering, but we managed it.
This is operational on the ST (blue) now, and will be available on the SF (pink) in about 8 weeks.

We do try hard and take all TPF comments on board (as you are the guys at the coal face). Noticing some of the other comments in the thread thought I'd answer these, as well as one or two others:

1).We are going to manufacture a 900mm Speedskim across the ranges. This should be available sometime in the summer. The 1200mm is the most popular size by far, but bringing the 900mm out should give Plasterers more choice.

2). New end caps are nearly finished. These are more robust and better fitting. This modification roles out in the summer too. Once complete new handles will have a double button feature. For existing handles the upgraded end caps will still fit, just won't have double button. The new end caps also have a rubber over-mould to give the end of the unit added protection.

3). Slight enhancement to the ally handles, they will soon have a double button, and all handle ends are being de-burred/polished meaning better, smoother blade change.

4). The Pole Attachment is one our most popular lines and can be used on all sizes. To enhance though we are working on simple outrigger which will be available to complement the existing attachment (sold separately) for those that want the added support on the longer units.

5). Blade guards were unfortunately delayed due to a last minute change. These should be available summer/autumn now. There will be various kinds, budget and also a slightly more expensive and robust version ~ keep you posted on this.

6). Bags and cases for those that want them have been designed and are in the first stages of manufacture. Should be available in the autumn.

7). Other cool products and accessories will be available later this year and also 2016. Keep you posted...

Long - but hope this is all helpful ;-) ...

Thanks for the nice comments and support :)

I've been using the 600 sf recently that you sent me good tool only gripe I have is that the metal edge of blade has lifted on the lower edge it's like the adhesive has de bonded and caused it to come away and plaster has worked its way in so slight bump in blade other than that it's lovely and light and does the job [emoji106]

I bought the speedskim about 18 month ago to be honest I wasn't using it correctly even think I had it on the blade on wrong way lol . So I used it on a ceiling and then a living room and hated it tossed it to f**k in the van . BUT I decided the other day to give it another go and try the blade round the other way and yes I fckn loved it . ..what I would like to no is the guys who have been using this a lot what is your procedure and at what point do yous use it?? I was just going mad with it the other day but end product was class .

the speedskim's great. i cannot see how anyone could disagree. the piss eze spat as well. just makes it easier and less back breaking. if you want to live in the past and do start to finish with an eleven inch carbon its up to you

Is the eze spat supposed to stay straight? Mines a little warped from trying to get it into the spat itself, didn't think it would matter with the blade being so flexible but just wondered if there was a knack to squeezing it in?

Ooo errrrr!

i have had the same problem. i mention it whenever i mention the eze spat. and not having a dig at piss but its a design issue. i think its pretty poor. they should have a design where you can just slot it in the groove and then clamp it closed with some wingnuts or something. i used to use he plastic blade on mine and i think that was slightly wider than the flexi. so when i switched to the flexi it just kept falling out. i had to shim some bits of cardboard in to keep it in place. it does look warped but once you get the blade in and start using it it goes flat. well straight. its a superb piece of kit. you can change the blade on it which you cant on the refina. it just seems a bit dated to me. like a lada if you know what i mean. its just like heavy and basic construction. but does an excellent job. just needs a few design tweaks. same with the pole and all those allen keys. jesus. i dont want o start looking for them in te middle of a set to change it.

Yeah the Allen key is a bit of a grind, especially for me as I must spend half an hour a day looking for tools lol!!
Be giving it a good work out starting end of this week, massive house with 10ft ceilings.......
Hopefully have it mastered after a few days [emoji16]

i have had the same problem. i mention it whenever i mention the eze spat. and not having a dig at piss but its a design issue. i think its pretty poor. they should have a design where you can just slot it in the groove and then clamp it closed with some wingnuts or something. i used to use he plastic blade on mine and i think that was slightly wider than the flexi. so when i switched to the flexi it just kept falling out. i had to shim some bits of cardboard in to keep it in place. it does look warped but once you get the blade in and start using it it goes flat. well straight. its a superb piece of kit. you can change the blade on it which you cant on the refina. it just seems a bit dated to me. like a lada if you know what i mean. its just like heavy and basic construction. but does an excellent job. just needs a few design tweaks. same with the pole and all those allen keys. jesus. i dont want o start looking for them in te middle of a set to change it.
I managed to get my speedskim pole attachment onto my EZE Spat. Give it a go as like you said, you don't wanna be messing around with Allen keys during a set.

The new eze pole attachment is quick release 1 little grub screw to undo then it slides straight off takes seconds in fact its as quick as unscrewing the pole off the speedskim attachment.
The only need for allen keys is to change the angle of the blade which if you set it right in the first place doesn't need altering.

I start with mine at about 10 to 12 (hands of a clock) then adjust to 5 to 12 on last couple of trowels as it were always cross troweling on new board work just use common sense on reskims etc

Status
Not open for further replies.