Speed skim

Aye but like nela or rafina
It dsnt stop u using either! There for flattening not finishing,do you flatten with a nela? I bloody hope not squire!? There purely for getting lines out of 1st coat before you apply 2nd coat then to flatten over twice before you trowel up

Although they are a knock off of the original Speedscam nnprb
(naynegativeparticlereactionblade)

The Speedskim is an awesome bit of kit

Aye but like nela or rafina

One of the main things going for Speedskims is that spare blades are very easy to buy. It's also nice that you can use different blade types (ST = blue plastic flattening/levelling blade, SF = stainless steel general purpose/finishing, PF = black plastic finishing) in the exact same handle, if you are someone who likes more than one option without having to spend a fortune.

The Nela spat is quite new to the market. It's beautifully made but I'm not entirely convinced by it's design, personally (although my misgivings mainly relate to the longest sizes - the smaller ones may actually be great spats). In any case, that's just my opinion, and others may love it without reservation. The blade is user-replaceable, if you can find stock.

As far as I'm aware, the metal-blade Refina spats (made by L'outil parfait) need to be returned to Refina for them to replace the blade on their premises. They are a well-regarded spat, though, and very popular.

There are some other spats available -

The 'Eze' (also available under different brand names) has user-replaceable blades.

The Level 5 (also recently rebadged as DeWalt) also has user-replaceable blades. The DeWalt badged version is outrageously overpriced, though.

The SuperProf Comfort Profile spat is very good value for money, but the downside is that the blade isn't replaceable.

The Tyzack spat has user-replaceable blades, and can be found in the UK if you hunt around a bit.

There are even more options, if you look further afield, to Europe or America, but I chose mine based upon easy availability of the spat and replaceable blades. so I went with Speedskim, even though I'm not entirely happy with the handle design, in terms of comfort.

If you're only going to buy one spat, then different people will give you different advice, regarding size. My suggestion would be to get something just under or just over 1 metre.

Last edited:
One of the main things going for Speedskims is that spare blades are very easy to buy. It's also nice that you can use different blade types (ST = blue plastic flattening/levelling blade, SF = stainless steel general purpose/finishing, PF = black plastic finishing) in the exact same handle, if you are someone who likes more than one option without having to spend a fortune.

The Nela spat is quite new to the market. It's beautifully made but I'm not entirely convinced by it's design, personally (although my misgivings mainly relate to the longest sizes - the smaller ones may actually be great spats). In any case, that's just my opinion, and others may love it without reservation. The blade is user-replaceable, if you can find stock.

As far as I'm aware, the metal-blade Refina spats (made by L'outil parfait) need to be returned to Refina for them to replace the blade on their premises. They are a well-regarded spat, though, and very popular.

There are some other spats available -

The 'Eze' (also available under different brand names) has user-replaceable blades.

The Level 5 (also recently rebadged as DeWalt) also has user-replaceable blades. The DeWalt badged version is outrageously overpriced, though.

The SuperProf Comfort Profile spat is very good value for money, but the downside is that the blade isn't replaceable.

The Tyzack spat has user-replaceable blades, and can be found in the UK if you hunt around a bit.

There are even more options, if you look further afield, to Europe or America, but I chose mine based upon easy availability of the spat and replaceable blades. so I went with Speedskim, even though I'm not entirely happy with the handle design, in terms of comfort.

If you're only going to buy one spat, then different people will give you different advice, regarding size. My suggestion would be to get something just under or just over 1 metre.
No one likes a smartarse ;)

I got 400mm 600mm and I drove to shop today and bought the 1200mm. Pole mount is a must with the 600mm. I don't use anything plastic these days. Those tools are getting less popular it seems
Horrible them spats,not a patch on speedskim,scrape floors with my spat these days