Speed skim

Members online

Fine I ain't trying to argue about flipping size of a bloody trowel just giving advice as I do domestic ever frigging day, most lights are still connected to rose I ain't gonna disconnect and block then shuv the thing up into a ceiling , skim it and then rewire it all back up am I ?

No, you're not.

Who took the jam out of your doughnut you f**k**g xxxxx

Are you the only one allowed to advise now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm presume @Davy sned is gonna be using them for the first time on domestic work, tbh if he was doing bigger areas with nothing in the way or site work with just plasterboard to flatten a bigger one might be ideal but don't see the point of advising someone to go for the bigger ones then be totally put off by it because he can't get on with it or use daily,
Standard 12ft x12ft bog standard room a 600 is easy to cover all areas with and won't be clonking the centre light cable on ceiling with it, same on walls he can work from ,away and around plugs and small areas and also flatten all window reveals which isn't possible with 1.2 or above imo anyway

buy both :)

Use it nearly every day on skim. Even on good Friday [emoji108]
06db75003ac96b0f83e0275d35655453.jpg

That ceilings gone hard, why are you still faffing about with it!!

Had a blast with one today, not sure which, (not mine.) I just used it straighten angles round my ceilings, in the first flatten. Never bothered with it after. It was alright I suppose, handier than pulling a straight edge across them. Won't be in a huge panic to go get one though,

Had a blast with one today, not sure which, (not mine.) I just used it straighten angles round my ceilings, in the first flatten. Never bothered with it after. It was alright I suppose, handier than pulling a straight edge across them. Won't be in a huge panic to go get one though,

It's not for straightening Simon, I fatten ceilings that are all over the shop with mine. It will follow most bumps & hollows

I always dry trowel if it's with a speedskim, s*p*r*lex or even my marshalltown.

Sounds like everyone uses these speed skims differently??

After laying on second coat would you use st first then allow to pull in abit before using sf?

Each to their own I suppose. I think everybody's got their own technique. I change mine every week

It's not for straightening Simon, I fatten ceilings that are all over the shop with mine. It will follow most bumps & hollows

I was just following orders of what to do with it. So essentially it's a big flexi trowel then?. What's the work like then if u shine a light on it for surely if it follows humps n hollows it will be wavey as f**k? And I ask about the light coz boss checks work with portable led light when mood suits him, so would have to listen to an incredible amount of bullshit if it's wavey

I wouldn't say it's flexi as you say it, but it's primarily for flattening skim, it's not a straight edge.
That said, as it's say 4 times the length of a trowel the work is flatter than trowel only. It's just that you can follow humps etc with putting pressure on different areas of the speedskim, something tha comes with time.
If your boss is that fussy it should be flat prior to you skimming it anyway???

I wouldn't say it's flexi as you say it, but it's primarily for flattening skim, it's not a straight edge.
That said, as it's say 4 times the length of a trowel the work is flatter than trowel only.
If your boss is that fussy it should be flat prior to you skimming it anyway???
It should be, but unfortunately isn't always, we dont do our own boarding. And we do get odd refurb a and reskims too. And some of it leaves a lot to he desired and don't even mention the bricklaying on a lot the jobs we be on. Think there was no level or edge near half the walls. What's they bricky work like ur way. Most jobs we be on aren't too hot.

Skimming ain't for flattening areas it's for smoothing.
Only supposed to be 2mm don't forget...

Dry trowel will drag surely? Don't you even wet the blade?
Apply, flatten 1, flatten 2, cross. Plazzy if you want to be pedantic.

Ok that cool just wondered why u were taught not to, think we mean different things by dry trowelling. To me I run to trowel across once it's hardened up just as final polish.... debatable if it makes much difference tbh but makes it look nice before painting. Don't wet the wall just trowel

Yeah like to give things a Polish to shine them up. Sometimes flick bit of water gets real good shine on the walls/ceilings.

I get what you're saying but ideally it's supposed to be a matte finish...
Customer loves a good polish but decorators hate it and in kitchens and bathrooms the paint is liable to peel off with the steam.

If you don't go silly a polish is fine, have a few contacts that are good decorators and the only want me so it can't be too bad. Plus I plastered my old dears bungalow 10years ago and no problems with paint there either.

Use the original SS for flattening big lids before spatting.
Didn't get on with the finishing SS at all.

Hi mate, I think you had the very first SF blades, which were a work in progress.
Opinions were mixed on the original SF and rightly so. A lot of development has taken place since then, the New SF has wider stainless steel tip 55mm x 0.3mm with 4mm radius ends - all buffed ready to use 'straight out of the box'.
As with ST range, SF blades have gasket seal and come complete with robust blade guard.
Flexibility across the width of the blade and crucially along the length mean the Plasterer is in control. Great on straight substrates as you would expect but also very forgiving on uneven backgrounds - so great for over-skims!
Hope thats helpful.. :)

Never use the 600, and I have both st and sf. If I can't use the 4 ft I won't bother at all.
The 600 steel ones I can't stop wobbling when on a pole, but as I say, just use the 1200. And use the 1800 plastic wherever possible.

The units shouldn't wobble when using the Pole Attachment.
The Pole Attachment is glass filled nylon so very robust. We do recommend an aluminium thread when using as some plastic extension pole threads do wobble and do flex.
Having developed and improved all aspects we are underway with MK 2 Pole Attachment that gives more support, particularly with 1200 and even 1800 for ceilings! Will keep you guys updated when available.. :)

I'm just about to order a set too.
The st600 and sf600 with pole attachment.

If it helps with saving the joints can be no bad thing! Hopefully I get a good finish with it so don't have to final trowel it :)
I'm confident you will like the system. Cuts out at least 50% of unnecessary fatigue associated with plastering, and typically saves 40 mins on a standard gauge of plaster. The ST is a great time saver as it reduces surface moisture, and the New SF delivers a smooth seamless finish! ;-)

I'm confident you will like the system. Cuts out at least 50% of unnecessary fatigue associated with plastering, and typically saves 40 mins on a standard gauge of plaster. The ST is a great time saver as it reduces surface moisture, and the New SF delivers a smooth seamless finish! ;-)
I'll be home in time to watch Jeremy Kyle then! The neighbours will think I'm on the dole!

I'll be home in time to watch Jeremy Kyle then! The neighbours will think I'm on the dole!

Absolutely - that's the beauty of the system, if you want to get more done and earn more you can - if you just want an easier day you can.
It gives you what you want! ;-)

The units shouldn't wobble when using the Pole Attachment.
The Pole Attachment is glass filled nylon so very robust. We do recommend an aluminium thread when using as some plastic extension pole threads do wobble and do flex.
Having developed and improved all aspects we are underway with MK 2 Pole Attachment that gives more support, particularly with 1200 and even 1800 for ceilings! Will keep you guys updated when available.. :)

It doesn't wobble on the attachment, the pole shakes in my hands.
The 1200 seems to have a more general 'sweep' if that makes sense?
Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on with the 600.
Anyway i just use 600 in my hand on walls sometimes.
I'm delighted with the whole system, actually look forward to ceilings now, bigger the better!
49a03ec682420e9af2207acbbec0ed78.jpg
c4c8d2f4125b43cfe8d2ce2c8a1166ed.jpg

It doesn't wobble on the attachment, the pole shakes in my hands.
The 1200 seems to have a more general 'sweep' if that makes sense?
Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on with the 600.
Anyway i just use 600 in my hand on walls sometimes.
I'm delighted with the whole system, actually look forward to ceilings now, bigger the better!
49a03ec682420e9af2207acbbec0ed78.jpg
c4c8d2f4125b43cfe8d2ce2c8a1166ed.jpg

Looks good buddy, you finish with the sf also? Or give it a last sweep over with the trowel?