Sparks Chases

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke105

Just want to know what you think is best. Skimmed walls, sparks been in and left the chases...wondering if it's best to do.....

hardwall flush to the existing skim...take it back 2-3mm

let it go off a bit then 2 coats of multi.

is this method too long winded? There's not
much to do and I don't want to be there long.
People have mentioned about putting a bit of multi in with the hardwall so it sets quicker?

Try one coat plaster.

I never have, I always do as you said with hardwall and skim. Its cement you need to set the hardwall up quicker.

As above 1 coat plaster. Wickes one coat or Knauf mp75 doesn't slump or crack you won't go back to hard wall and skim. Try a couple first then your off.

i normally float with hardwall scrape back and set,,,like carlos says its cenent that will send it off quicker , i have not used one coat plaster for quite a while but from what i can remember if you dont have loads of chases to do you will still be waiting for it to go off(i may be wrong)

pva chase and do a 50/50 mix of hardwall and finish fill it proud let it pick up and scrape level and trowel smooth done loads like this mate. Saves loads of time if lots to do or as others have said onecoat.

zombie

I really want to try that hardwall and multi trick. Might just bang a hole in my bedroom wall this weekend and try it. There's 2 chases to do!

Will the 50 50 multi and hardwall leave a decent finish? As good as skim or am I living in a dream world?

The one coat looks good but says should be applied at 2cm for each application.
How accurate do you think that is

I really want to try that hardwall and multi trick. Might just bang a hole in my bedroom wall this weekend and try it. There's 2 chases to do!

Will the 50 50 multi and hardwall leave a decent finish? As good as skim or am I living in a dream world?

If done right no

if im to be honest mate I do it with slightly more finish than 50/50 but i ensure that ive hammered the substarte with pva first. If you do it as per mate and close the finish totally smooth its spot on mate.

For years used to back fill with finish then scrape back and skim then worked with a spread couple of yrs ago and showed me how he did it and never looked back its not text book but if heavily pvad works great!!!

zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

No? So it will leave a crap finish?

:RpS_lol: NO your not living in a dream world back in the day i had to do loads of this stuff and never got knocked back by a clerk of works except we used to use browning and carlite finish cos that was all they had on the jobs :RpS_thumbup:

:RpS_lol: NO your not living in a dream world back in the day i had to do loads of this stuff and never got knocked back by a clerk of works except we used to use browning and carlite finish cos that was all they had on the jobs :RpS_thumbup:
oh nearly forgot use a sponge to rub them up before you trowel them off to get the fat up

I might buy a bag of the one coat thistle plaster for this job then have an experiment with the 50:50 when I get some left over hardwall from a job

you and marshy are just going to have to be good boys and wait until monday to try your new toys/tricks

Like above i have used home made onecoat when I needed too i use a mix of Browning & multi then trowel smooth jobs a goodun :RpS_thumbsup:
Or pva chase then bonding & cement then 20minutes later finish with multi or board finish
You can use easifill to a certain depth aswell

Here's a video too watch though :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...so for 2 chases shall I just get a bag of 7.5kg one coat...fill the chase flat to existing wall...let it pick up...sponge it then trowel?

If it just 2 chases I'd use Easy Fill 20, in and out in an hour.
First coat as you would with bonding.
When firm/dry Second coat, pass over tight.
Wait till firm/dry then tight third coat. Done.

You can use a hairdryer to speed things a little but not too much heat.

Rub down.
:RpS_thumbsup:

personally I think 50/50 bonding and skim is best, you can put a finish on bonding alone if you catch it rite. rub up sponge or bring fat up with a brush and trowel off

I've always stayed clear of one coat for no reason other than being scared of the unknown! I'm gonna have to try it one day.

Aye ive only ever done it with bonding , i would 60 40 multi bonding and use dirty water .... Depending how much dirty water etc finish between 5 mins and a hour ? Lol

Like above i have used home made onecoat when I needed too i use a mix of Browning & multi then trowel smooth jobs a goodun :RpS_thumbsup:
Or pva chase then bonding & cement then 20minutes later finish with multi or board finish
You can use easifill to a certain depth aswell

Here's a video too watch though :RpS_thumbsup:

i wonder if hillsides customers av ever come home early

and fort to em self why the foook has me plasterer got a camera strapped to his head chatting to him lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no because it's good to see what people do. Diff opinions. I'm sure a DIY person could do this job yeh of he was shown.

Always has to be the bruce willis of plasterers (the hero) making stupid remarks on here

Knauf one coat is good stuff but they could do with a 20 mins set version, so the bonding/ skim combo is a good choice for the odd patch. I tried adding white cement to the one coat but didn't speed it up much.

I will give it a go and see what happens. I will bang some pva in beforehand. Then have a spray bottle ready while I keep my eye on the set.
I would rather do it in one go. In and out ASAP.

Just want to be sure here...am I to lay it in flush....or proud then scrape back? Am I likely to get any slumping?

One coat is brill for chases if you're doing a good few(hardly cracks or shrinks) always gone the hardwall route!? Must tru a handful of cement!

No need to PvA with one coat just a light mist with water. I have bags of easi fill on the van as I use it for paper taping so I use this on top of set bonding if there are loads to do and it blends in nicer than multi in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.