Sounds like fun.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

An enquiry about a two storey side extension included the following:-

"I would like to be involved in the build to some extent (to learn) and have a retired family member who would like to help as a tradesman."

:eek: o_O

"I would like to be involved in the build to some extent (to learn) and have a retired family member who would like to help as a tradesman."

Fuk that :frenetico:

IMG_5776.JPG

Can just see the old boy family member donning his overalls on as you pull up to the job every morning!? b*ll***s to that s**t!!! As soon as somebody starts trying to interfere/tell me how to do my job? Id just say crack on then as I'm going !! I'm too old for that nonsence

I did a huge vaulted ceiling about 10 yrs ago metal stud ,insulated, boarded and skimmed .
The conditions were that the husband old Dutch guy 61 I think he was helped.
I agreed and thought oh well he will be fukked after day 1 then leave me to get on.
He worked like a Trojan of a man half his age and beat most labs I've ever had . The job ran smooth and I had free labour .
I would say that I was extremely lucky odds are not favorable for that outcome.

I had this recently on HSL, job was off from here, the guy asked would my price differ if his son would help, no thanks

Tell em not covered by your insurance and not h&s trained enough and what's Thier utr number n lots of other stuff to put them off ! Bugger having customer you don't know interfering or slowing you down asking how stuffs done every 5 mins !

Mark out the footings, hand them a shovel and pick and say I'll be back in a week then Just hand them a broom and a kettle and say try that for the next 2 months then we'll have a review! :D

I did a huge vaulted ceiling about 10 yrs ago metal stud ,insulated, boarded and skimmed .
The conditions were that the husband old Dutch guy 61 I think he was helped.
I agreed and thought oh well he will be fukked after day 1 then leave me to get on.
He worked like a Trojan of a man half his age and beat most labs I've ever had . The job ran smooth and I had free labour .
I would say that I was extremely lucky odds are not favorable for that outcome.

Had a similar scenario last year for a retired builder, had a gaball end of a bungalow to hack off, scratch, float and Tyrolean.

He said he'd be there to help out if and when and I thought the same as you he'd be f**k*d after one day....

On the hacking off stages he was a warrior on the wheel barrows and shovels into the skip, I had a wheelbarrow and shovel and my mate loading it up, he pulled out 2 more wheelbarrows and just kept loading in and loading out.

Throughout the rendering stage he would have all 8 of my water buckets filled up, cement out the shed and sand next to the mixer all plugged In by 7.30am every morning ready for us with a cup of tea at 8am.

Through all stages he went and got a load of old carpet and had it anywhere muck will drop or we would walk, and Tyroleaning was much the same, bits of cardboard cut up and taped over vents etc.

He made the job a pleasure literally the most stress free 5 days ive ever had at work. I had a lot of time for him definitely one of my best customers, I knocked £200 off the bill at the end and told him to get on and have a few on us, little did I know he give us a extra £100 each (2of us) and he said nope, £200 there is your twos drink money. Followed by piss off now before it all falls off !

Legend

I get people offer to mix up and be my labourer all the time, they think it will be cheaper for them I assume.

some are just bored or interested I recon.. Mind you I have done the same... I actually think I am that annoying customer... Asked to watch a de dent man take dents out of my car... he was pretty good and explained every step... eye opening it was :D

Mind you if he had said no that would not have bothered me either :D

I'm working for a dipshit "builder"..... who wants to be a "developer"....always on about how he "can plaster"....limeworks, render, skim, screed you name it..
Pfft...

I did a job years ago for a retired engineer from Rolls Royce Aero engines. Fcuking nightmare! He was used to working in thousandths of an inch had his level and vernier out every time I turned my back, he even wanted to return loads of plasterboard, timber and blocks as they were "out of tolerance".

Come the end of the job he and his wife were banging on about how chuffed they were, how neat and accurate it was etc etc. He said "I'm never going to use anyone else, you have worked with me so well." :eek:

Number blocked. (y)

I'm working for a dipshit "builder"..... who wants to be a "developer"....always on about how he "can plaster"....limeworks, render, skim, screed you name it..
Pfft...

Anyone who calls themselves a developer is by definition a c**t.

some are just bored or interested I recon.. Mind you I have done the same... I actually think I am that annoying customer... Asked to watch a de dent man take dents out of my car... he was pretty good and explained every step... eye opening it was :D

Mind you if he had said no that would not have bothered me either :D

I was watching my mate strip my trucks gearbox then rebuild it with lower ratio gears and a lower ratio transfer box the other week I was fascinated.

Followed it up by saying the regular clueless customer words of "oh you make it look so easy"

I'd worry that the conversation during the day wouldn't be up to much.......:loco:

TBH, most of my helpers are very similar to her. A bit fatter perhaps, a bit hairier possibly, oh, and usually called Dave, but apart from that...virtually identical!! :crying:

I did a job years ago for a retired engineer from Rolls Royce Aero engines. Fcuking nightmare! He was used to working in thousandths of an inch had his level and vernier out every time I turned my back, he even wanted to return loads of plasterboard, timber and blocks as they were "out of tolerance".

Come the end of the job he and his wife were banging on about how chuffed they were, how neat and accurate it was etc etc. He said "I'm never going to use anyone else, you have worked with me so well." :eek:

Number blocked. (y)

lol I like people like that :D But i dont think I could do any work for them :D

Tell him your not pricing it til he takes his motorbike out the loft.

Last thing you need is him firing it up and a dynamic load up there half way through getting steels in.

I was watching my mate strip my trucks gearbox then rebuild it with lower ratio gears and a lower ratio transfer box the other week I was fascinated.

Followed it up by saying the regular clueless customer words of "oh you make it look so easy"

hahahaha... I am normally asking why have they not done it this way... not trying to undermine them just curious as to why they chose the method :D

Had a similar scenario last year for a retired builder, had a gaball end of a bungalow to hack off, scratch, float and Tyrolean.

He said he'd be there to help out if and when and I thought the same as you he'd be f**k*d after one day....

On the hacking off stages he was a warrior on the wheel barrows and shovels into the skip, I had a wheelbarrow and shovel and my mate loading it up, he pulled out 2 more wheelbarrows and just kept loading in and loading out.

Throughout the rendering stage he would have all 8 of my water buckets filled up, cement out the shed and sand next to the mixer all plugged In by 7.30am every morning ready for us with a cup of tea at 8am.

Through all stages he went and got a load of old carpet and had it anywhere muck will drop or we would walk, and Tyroleaning was much the same, bits of cardboard cut up and taped over vents etc.

He made the job a pleasure literally the most stress free 5 days ive ever had at work. I had a lot of time for him definitely one of my best customers, I knocked £200 off the bill at the end and told him to get on and have a few on us, little did I know he give us a extra £100 each (2of us) and he said nope, £200 there is your twos drink money. Followed by piss off now before it all falls off !

Legend
I believe these men were of a certain breed that was the norm back in there Day .
But has certainly steadily declined to the stage of finding the same ethics , stamina and pride almost impossible no matter how advanced and easier it has become .
Electric and battery this n that, heaters and scaffold covers and stuff lifted onto platforms on scaffold not humped up ladders all sorts but nowadays (without trust me doing my best not to sound bitter or an old fart) even with that all in place you have these miserable wet fuks dragging there sorry arses about mumbling "it's too hard"
No pride, no work ethics , no stamina ,no respect for you or self and to be honest little hope. Amen.

Have you priced it yet @imago. I hope you get the job as will give us a good laugh reading the daily blog you post

There's no way they could afford the rate I'd want to get involved in that carry on!

Besides, I've got my extension to do which I've started this week, then an oak framed one to do in the Autumn. That's enough for this year I think, other than that I'll stick to inside work. We've got two more loft jobs in the Jewellery Quarter to do, which thinking about it pretty much sews up the year.

There's no way they could afford the rate I'd want to get involved in that carry on!

Besides, I've got my extension to do which I've started this week, then an oak framed one to do in the Autumn. That's enough for this year I think, other than that I'll stick to inside work. We've got two more loft jobs in the Jewellery Quarter to do, which thinking about it pretty much sews up the year.
Aww I was looking forward to you doing this one and reading about the daily antics etc

Aww I was looking forward to you doing this one and reading about the daily antics etc

No chance, anger management has been going really well. I fear that sort of job would undo all my good work. I'd probably end up sat on the top floor of a multi-storey with a rifle.