Soundproofing with GenieClip system needs approval from Building Control?

Members online

Soundproofer

We are installing some soundproofing to two bedroom ceilings using Genie clip system with dB15 Soundboard. The system retains the existing ceiling. We will have some rewiring done (by Part P certified electrician) at the same time to have just one light fitting.

Our local Building Control authority requires us to get their permission and to do an inspection on the works. I wasn’t expecting having to have building control approval for the works and this sounds quite excessive to me. Does it sound correct and is there any way I could politely challenge the local building authority’s decision?

Thank you!

We are installing some soundproofing to two bedroom ceilings using Genie clip system with dB15 Soundboard. The system retains the existing ceiling. We will have some rewiring done (by Part P certified electrician) at the same time to have just one light fitting.

Our local Building Control authority requires us to get their permission and to do an inspection on the works. I wasn’t expecting having to have building control approval for the works and this sounds quite excessive to me. Does it sound correct and is there any way I could politely challenge the local building authority’s decision?

Thank you!

I'm confused who told the building control

Thank you!

get on with it
they wont tell you to pull it down

Soundproofing wouldn’t normally be there thing unless you were changing usage of the building , then it would have to have a db test

Ring the manufacturer & get their answer. It might be required due to fire regs and change of use. e.g. I think Southampton require it (Bldg control approval) for house conversion into flats.