Sound proofing.

Members online

Hi all,
got a job coming up in next couple weeks, it's a 4 storey terraced house. The costumer wants the party walls on both sides soundproofing, the walls are brick there's enough play to come about 30mm of the walls.
I was considering just double boarding in sound boards and breaking joints on second layer, I was wondering if the brains of TPF had any better solutions? Preferably affordable but if it's gonna be a more effective method the costumer will probably be happy to pay.
Cheers guys any advice is appreciated.

Hi all,
got a job coming up in next couple weeks, it's a 4 storey terraced house. The costumer wants the party walls on both sides soundproofing, the walls are brick there's enough play to come about 30mm of the walls.
I was considering just double boarding in sound boards and breaking joints on second layer, I was wondering if the brains of TPF had any better solutions? Preferably affordable but if it's gonna be a more effective method the costumer will probably be happy to pay.
http://www.soundstop.co.uk/ZRESBAR1.php

I'll av a look keep them coming cheers
You'll need to do ceiling as well IMO , nothing is gonna be cheap materials or labour , don't just dab sound block to walls absolute waste of time and will not block any sound tbh , ceiling needs to be done first to stop flanking of sound and then I'd recommend at least 50mm in a MF stud on the walls,forget wood it's a transferer of sound , resi bars on ceiling and rip it down to get 100mm acoustic block in between joists, double board both ceiling and walls with 15mm sound block , staggered joints and gyproc sealant on each layer of boards around edges, no more than 1-2 mm gap in board joins and at edges at ceiling and floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be wrong here but I'm sure you can buy 'Acoustic' plaster, it is used in recording studios and such. It is very specialized like 'Polar' plaster for refrigeration.

Like I say I have never used it but I'm positive it exists.

Hope this helps. :)

It's all been said on previous threads just needs to search :aburrido: any static connections transfer vibration i.e. Noise! so unless rooms are cubed you will solely minimize noise .
Also past a certain stage i.e. Resilient bars ,sound board,sound mat,board etc you are gaining little.

Hi all,
Cardboard egg cartons
Hi all,
Ear-defenders...job done

Okay thanks guys I don't think the customer is trying to block out all noise completely, just dampen or improve. I will search Some previous threads
Okay thanks guys I don't think the customer is trying to block out all noise completely, just dampen or improve. I will search Some previous threads
With only 30mm to play with (sounds familiar), your going to struggle with this one.

Don't worry about the stairs you will need to go thicker to achieve anything or your wasting your time. Once your finished you can attach an MDF riser to the wall to give the same finish to the stairs the width of the stairs should be ok on an old house.

We were coating walls wa soundproof plaster tenner a bag coat on to block work brickwork straiten it oot and they just glued the boards on