Some S&C

Members online

Badgerrrrrrr

20161019_080737.jpg
20161020_113017.jpg
20161021_133744.jpg
I'm still a S&C man, i keep saying I should look into these knew products , but Being closer to 60 than 50, hey getting a bit long in the tooth. There's still a place for it, especially when having to get over this crap lol still looks nice to me.

I've not seen one mono job that looks as good as the day it was done five years later, it's an instant wow and that's it. Most I've seen looks s**t after a year and some even less but to be fair it's like skimming anyone thinks they can do it and they are, like I said the wow factor wins it every time until the sun comes out.

Five houses in row done near me and they didn't use an I bar and they looked shocking just drove past tonight and they have lights outside the doors and they look worse. Off to the pub in a bit if I remember I will take a pic on the way home if I can walk lol

Thin coat is good s**t to be fair and outdoes sand and cement. I've been using it for about 8 years and I've never had any problems with it at all. The finish is consistent, very crack resistant and will never need painting. The jobs I've done still look good years later when I see them. If they pick up any dirt they can be pressure washed with a light detergent to bring them back to looking new.
It's extremely resilient and doesn't go patchy when it rains like mono (unsealed).

Thin coat is good s**t to be fair and outdoes sand and cement. I've been using it for about 8 years and I've never had any problems with it at all. The finish is consistent, very crack resistant and will never need painting. The jobs I've done still look good years later when I see them. If they pick up any dirt they can be pressure washed with a light detergent to bring them back to looking new.
It's extremely resilient and doesn't go patchy when it rains like mono (unsealed).
I agree the thin coat does look good

Nice job always good to see..

Forget change, free bus pass to look forward to instead

Like you mate, I only do small domestic jobs now. But even by the time I get to buss time age it won't be free !! And the government will be making everyone work till there 80 ........ 3 or 4 days a week is enough for me now. All work and no play makes me a dull boy...lol

I am 60 next and do all renders new and old. The machine rendering although faster and it puts it on the wall for you can be stressful.

The worry about the machine breaking down and me being the straight edge man has to keep with the sprayer so fast going. But 2 hours slog can be another 2 hours saved on the joints.

As for the new renders looking dreadful after a couple of years? Think that is more to do with no heat loss.

But the modern renders need a new breed of renderer. More technical.

But I enjoy the challenge, and new methods.

The young renderers of today will be expected to work till they are 70 so move with the times and get the labourer to do the back breaking part of the work, save yourself, wear dust masks and look after yorselves.

I was taught to only tolerate wavy scratches.

This was the reason why,

Scratch in a wave early as, a vigourous twitch will cause the scratch to sag under its own weight so when the second coat goes in it becomes interlocked. The two coats cannot seperate.

The second reason is water running down the mix will collect at the bottom of the waves so creating uniform wetness. A straight scratch will not be level so water will run down to the lowest point so you get wet areas and dru area. Rubbish when rubbing up render.

Sand & cement still has its place
I would use mesh in the scratch coat though due to the substrate
Only adds a couple of quid on the job

Thin coat renders are the best out there in my opinion
There won't be a crack in sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked on Wimpey No Fines houses years ago ,it was in the spec that you scratched it wavey in vertical lines, so any rain ran off it

Worked on Wimpey No Fines houses years ago ,it was in the spec that you scratched it wavey in vertical lines, so any rain ran off it

no fines housing and flats, we rendered them for wimpy and john mowlem. the first hundred units would be ok then the shuttering got damaged leaving some bad areas. the ones we done were always dashed.

no fines housing and flats, we rendered them for wimpy and john mowlem. the first hundred units would be ok then the shuttering got damaged leaving some bad areas. the ones we done were always dashed.
What's a "no fines" house malc?

What's a "no fines" house malc?

no fines was a dry concrete mix, wimpy and john mowlem was the main builders of this system. this is a 60s system, condensation problems today. the flats that were built in this method in ipswich have now been pulled down.

trad oversite, then crane the shuttering of say of a block of 6 onto the oversite. blocks of polystyrene placed for doors and windows and areas to take first floor joists. concrete lintels in place, pour the concrete for all 6 properties all in one day. a fast method of building. on flats you would pour 1 floor at a time, with concrete slabs for floors.
render and dash external, float and set internal in carlite lightweight plaster. fit a thin piece of polystyrene to the lintels, just skim to marry up to plastered walls.

no fines was a dry concrete mix, wimpy and john mowlem was the main builders of this system. this is a 60s system, condensation problems today. the flats that were built in this method in ipswich have now been pulled down.

trad oversite, then crane the shuttering of say of a block of 6 onto the oversite. blocks of polystyrene placed for doors and windows and areas to take first floor joists. concrete lintels in place, pour the concrete for all 6 properties all in one day. a fast method of building. on flats you would pour 1 floor at a time, with concrete slabs for floors.
render and dash external, float and set internal in carlite lightweight plaster. fit a thin piece of polystyrene to the lintels, just skim to marry up to plastered walls.
Jheeze always interesting. Your knowledge in these things is amazing