Some idiots in the game

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
well all i can say is i advise the customer as to what is the best solution to there problem.if they dcide they want a perticular thing,as in skim over woodchip who am i to argue,i'm not paying for it,and i cant garantee it either.

as for unproffesional....wonder how many on here skim over 30year old walls that are as dry as a nuns #unt instead of advising that the plaster needs taking back to the brick as imho a 2-3mm of skim of brittle finish plaster is only as good as what it lays on.:flapper:
When looking at a job the client only tells you what they want as the end result, how this is best achieved is for you to explain to them and not how they think it should be done ,you would not take your car into a garage and tell the mechanic how best to fix your car as he would tell you to **** off.so don't listen to punters who think they know best looking for the cheapest job.and as for skimming over old walls ,this is just fine as long as they are prepped properly(loose plaster removed and patched,sealed etc).There has been some talk on hear about standards with in our trade but as long as there are plasterers out there who will do shoddy work for the sake off getting a job or because they are dictated to by clients who have not got a clue then i am afraid we are all **** and things will never get any better and we wonder why we are so poorly thought of in the building trade.

:RpS_lol:the job was for a guy i played rugby with,him n his mrs were just moving into there first house,he asked me to do him a favour....i did....:rolleyes)

So would it be recomended to turn down,say,a living room becouse the walls are like a spiders web and crumbly and the customer just wants to pay for a 2mm skim?
after he was advised that the walls would indeed crack again as the backing plaster is although not completley hollow.....shaged.

Ooook:RpS_drool:

if i take my car into to the garage i ask for it to be diagnosed by a profesional...one who knows more than me,then i can make an informed decision as to wether i can aford the repair,trust his diagnosise or patch things up to get it thru the next mot.

Ooook:RpS_drool:

and they say customers are always right...........not.i personal dont think its worth taking the risk get it off go home happy

how very professional! stop being lazy and do the job properly

cowwwbboooyyy!!!

dick head theres no diff plastering over woodchip that wont come off with a steamer to plastering over artex how do u know whats under that **** or is that sumit u think is unprfessional 2

you carry on with your inventive expletives whilst plastering over wallpaper.

the definition of wallpaper" a substrate to which a chimpanzee with limited training applies plaster"

their you are young man will that help you sleep tonight or will your aunties elbows keep waking you up x

you carry on with your inventive expletives whilst plastering over wallpaper.

the definition of wallpaper" a substrate to which a chimpanzee with limited training applies plaster"

their you are young man will that help you sleep tonight or will your aunties elbows keep waking you up x

it seems to me most guys on here have plastered onto paper mabee you should try it some time might brighten up a dull and repetitive day

dick head theres no diff plastering over woodchip that wont come off with a steamer to plastering over artex how do u know whats under that **** or is that sumit u think is unprfessional 2

my point exactly....after all plaster has never shelled off artex has it:flapper:

oh...funnily anuf it never shelled off that ceiling....and its 9 years on!!:RpS_lol:

but in the interests of someone on hear not swearing at me...i wouldn't recomend the practice of:rolleyes)

sorry but i cant believe what im reading here you plasterers who plaster over wallpaper cant call yourself a plasterer......and i hope you have p l i for when it falls on a child....shamefull!!!!!!

I did an insurance job once and i found someone had skimmed over wallpaper they had a leak from the ceiling which ran down the wall and blew the plaster off in places

I don't condone plastering onto paper but if it just wont fecking come off what do you do.....hack the whole wall off?

Think about this, how easy is it to pull the paper off a plasterboard? Very, sometimes is the answer. But it just gets skimmed right?

A lot of people on here will have done it but wont admit to it for fear of losing face or they haven't yet encountered nightmare paper that just wont strip.

Never plastered onto wallpaper, have been on jobs where it has been done and its shelled off.

We have once skimmed a woodchipped ceiling but only after the customer took full responsibility in case it went tits up. That stuff wouldn't shift with a cold chisel..

On the other hand we've skimmed over Artex and the Artex started peeling off (whether the pva softened it or it hasn't bonded properly to the ceiling when done I don't know)

Plastered a kitchen ceiling once for an elderly chap, insurance job after a water leak - made a perfect job, struggled over the top of kitchen cupboards etc. found out later on he put woodchip on it cos he liked it..

I will not say it's right to plaster over paper,but you can found sometime on some jobs wood-cheap paper over plasterboard which you can't take it down with anything without broking the plasterboard.In this case I always suggest to my clients to re-boarding with new plasterboard sheets,but never plaster on top of old paper.Sometimes you plaster on top of paper and stays for 15 years(like i read on some comments)or can stay 2 days.
So that means you can't take any chances.
Thanks!

Obviously not because it didn't fall off the wallpaper so stick that one up you're pipe and chew on it

Ha Ha my customer thought he'd do me a massive favour by painting 3 walls I have to skim with thistle bond-it. One of them over wall paper. Did'nt have the heart to tell him so i'll see if it takes a skim tomorrow. Exciting hey, cool stuff like this hardly ever happens to me!!!!

Bubbles I have skimmed woodchip ceilings, on one job 2 bedroom ceilings used wicks bondit on one of the ceiling the woodchip peeled off on the other woodchip stayed put. I have never skimmed over wallpaper .

Status
Not open for further replies.