Some help and advice please.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

des511

Hi
Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and what a great place for tips and help. This is my first post and I am hoping that someone here can give me some advice on a problem I am having.
I did a 5 day course at Goldtrowel about a year ago to help me in my efforts to sort out my house which needs a lot of work. I did the course to help me in my diy as I am handy at everything else that I need to do but plastering was something that I did not have a clue about but I always thought how great it is that a man
can walk into a room with some tools, water and a few bags of plaster and know how and transform a room with crap walls and ceiling to something a smooth as glass.
Now a couple of questions. I have plasterboarded two walls in a bedroom about 5 weeks ago and a few days ago I skimmed them using board finish.
I layed on the first coat quickly and not to thin on a wall which was 2.6 metres high and 3.4 metres long but when I went back to check where I started the plaster was starting to dry. It took a lot of effort and swearing to flatten it down ready for the second coat.
The second coat went on a bit better and at the end the wall came out okay but it took a lot of work and it was the same story on the other wall.
The heating was off in the room for a couple of days before I started skimming, windows and doors were closed and I did not mix it too much and I did not lay it on too thin. Any ideas ?.
Next question is that I also plasterdboarded the ceiling which is about 11 square metres but used tapered edged boards with the intention of taping the joints and filling with easyfill as I was a bit worried about have a go at a ceiling of this size for the first time on my own.
I have put one coat of easyfill on the joints already but I am so happy with the way the walls came out that its given me the courage to have a crack at the ceiling but I am worried about the same thing happening on the ceiling as what happened on the walls.
If the plaster dries out at the same rate as the walls did I know I will not be able to get back to where I started to flatten down before its gone hard. Do you thing that the plasterboard may have dried out too much which caused too much suction ?.
If I do decide to skim the ceiling do I need to put something over the easyfill before plastering.
I am sorry for such a long post and I must stress that I am only a diyer who is wanting to do the best job he can on his own house and I am really hoping that you guys with all your experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

That happens to plasterboard sometimes and its hard to know when its going to happen, sometimes if the board is damp and it drys out in a warm home it can cause problems and sometimes if the board as been up foe ages prior to skimming it can happen , pva, bonding agent, and stailbex can sort that out , but like i say sometimes its only when your plastering it you find out its going wrong .

church said:
That happens to plasterboard sometimes and its hard to know when its going to happen, sometimes if the board is damp and it drys out in a warm home it can cause problems and sometimes if the board as been up foe ages prior to skimming it can happen , pva, bonding agent, and stailbex can sort that out , but like i say sometimes its only when your plastering it you find out its going wrong .

Thank you Church for your reply. Do you think I should pva the boarded ceiling and what ratio would you recommend,
also would Multi give me more time.

Thanks again

Yes i would , water down the pva 4-1 water to pva and use multi finish , a bonding agent will seal it better but go with what youve got.

i done a 16m2 ceiling with my lab thursday pva 3parts water 1 part pva get two coats on it then start slaping it on get say half way go back and flatton it off as you go get a mix on slap the next half on go back and sort out the edges flatton it off mix the finish up but wet the board for the mixes each time wash all tools with clean water as you go get half the finish on trowel it get the next half on then trowel it off finish it off clean the adges with a brush the jobs a gooden ;D happy sreding m8te

I would give just the easy fill a good pva with a roller the night before then go over the whole ceiling just before you skim it so covering the easy fill twice.

rich :)

Status
Not open for further replies.