Some Help & Advice Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaMo

Hello, So I started doing a level 2 plastering course at college about four or five years ago and I dropped out around six months into the course because I was offered full time plastering work.

I figured I would learn more that way and obviously I would be better off financially so the decision was an easy one at the time.

However now I'm looking for work and most companies/employers are asking for a Level 2 NVQ or C&G qualification (minimum)

I don't really want to go back to collage as I don't think there's much more for me to learn and I don't really have the time to spend two or three days a week in a class room surrounded by teenagers.

Is there anyway I can pick up a qualification without doing the whole course? Looking back I probably should've stayed on and completed the course while I was on it but that's hindsight for you.

I've over four years on site experience working alongside men who have been in the trade for 20-30 years. Now I need a qualification to go along with that to secure full time employment (without going it alone)

Sorry for the life story but I'd appreciate any advice on this situation. I see a lot of fast track courses but their charging big bucks and again they'd be teaching me what I already know :(

Hi. I've come to plastering later in life than most. Initially I thought about a college course like yourself but thought that I would be even older after three years. I then considered a GoldTrowel course but they were to far away from me for it to be viable. I tried ringing local plasterers to see if they could give me some experience but there were no takers. Finally I did a plastering course at the diy school. It cost a little over four hundred pounds including the tools and I received an essentials plastering certificate. I am going back for the advanced certificate in a few months time which incorporates rendering. I have been able to start my own plastering business since leaving. This might be something to look at. here is a link if that's okay with the admin:

http://www.thediyschool.co.uk/plastering-courses/plastering-course-essential-skills

Hi Hugo, did you learn much from those DIY courses and how long were you in training?

I was lucky I got work and gained experience, I believe I learnt more working onsite with experienced plasterers than I would have in college but obviously I didn't get the qualification which I need now.

Hello, So I started doing a level 2 plastering course at college about four or five years ago and I dropped out around six months into the course because I was offered full time plastering work.

I figured I would learn more that way and obviously I would be better off financially so the decision was an easy one at the time.

However now I'm looking for work and most companies/employers are asking for a Level 2 NVQ or C&G qualification (minimum)

I don't really want to go back to collage as I don't think there's much more for me to learn and I don't really have the time to spend two or three days a week in a class room surrounded by teenagers.

Is there anyway I can pick up a qualification without doing the whole course? Looking back I probably should've stayed on and completed the course while I was on it but that's hindsight for you.

I've over four years on site experience working alongside men who have been in the trade for 20-30 years. Now I need a qualification to go along with that to secure full time employment (without going it alone)

Sorry for the life story but I'd appreciate any advice on this situation. I see a lot of fast track courses but their charging big bucks and again they'd be teaching me what I already know :(

Welcome :) @Geason will be able to advise :D I did an OSAT :D

If you are currently working onsite we can deliver your nvq, there will be a cost to it due to limited funding but the way it works is assessors have a framework to follow from the awarding body, the assessor will come and assess you onsite while you work over 3-4 site visits, they will build your portfolio for you and you will be completed within 20wks. you will then be awarded your level 2 nvq .

Hi Geason, thank you for your response. Do you have a website or a topic on this site that explains the process in more detail? I want to ask questions but I'm guessing you've already answered these questions before so I don't want to waste your time.

As I'm currently working alone and self employed, my schedule can go from busy to quiet. How many on site assessments would you need and how much time would I have to complete them?

Most of my work is private and done in customers homes (not on a building site) would that be okay? also what's the price tag for the whole thing?

Thanks again

Our website is www.geasontraining.co.uk

the site assessments are between 2-4 for plastering nvq is takes between 16-20 weeks to complete.

there is a price of £550+vat paid over 2 payments.

if you work for any main contractor that deducts a % of you to contribute to their citb levy you can ask them to help with the cost as citb pay £440 towards any nvq training.

if you want to call me tomorrow on 07592318344 i will happily discuss further.

thanks
Lynn

£550 sounds good, especially when compared to what a full college course would cost me (about three times that)

Is this for an NVQ Level 2 Blue Skilled Worker Card? That's what most employers are looking for so that's what I want.

The problem is most of my work is the same, I mainly board and skim in people's houses. Would I need to seek out bigger and more complex jobs for the assessments?

Last edited:
Who's asking for ur quals? Are u trying to work full time on books for some1? Like keepmoat or sumat? I've got city n guilds level 3 or advance craft as flynny calls it from years ago and not 1 person has asked for it in 17 years

I don't really see anyone asking for City & Guilds certificates but a number of employers are asking for blue skill carded workers.

I searched Plastering jobs in London on the Indeed website.

Is that part of a cscs card or sumat? Id go down self assessment on a site route as diy plastering course or whatever u said earlier well the name says it all

U cud
I don't really see anyone asking for City & Guilds certificates but a number of employers are asking for blue skill carded workers.

I searched Plastering jobs in London on the Indeed website.
U cud still go down city and guilds tho cudnt you? Its a higher qual Than nvq so ud have better chance of getting Job Id imagine If your wanting to go down that route..

Is that part of a cscs card or sumat? Id go down self assessment on a site route

I don't know, I'm not really up on all the qualifications. I just saw that the blue skill card is what most employers are asking for so assumed that was the best way to go.

U cud still go down city and guilds tho cudnt you? Its a higher qual Than nvq

Is it? Some say it is and others say it isn't, I'm confused with all the different qualifications on offer.

Lol city and guilds is alot better Than nvq wen I did it years ago all lads who did nvq didn't get accepted into city and guilds as u had to do a test b4 hand to get which u didn't on nvq..flynny will fill u in he's knows more on this subject

I thought City & Guides was more of a theory test (class room based) and the NVQ was the practical part (site based)

But that's only what I've read, I'm no expert.

You need nvq 2 for blue cscs card....you dont need the city and guilds.

Wasnt saying city and guilds is no good by the way just saying nvq 2 is what you need for card...if you're already onsite do OSAT.

I thought City & Guides was more of a theory test (class room based) and the NVQ was the practical part (site based)

But that's only what I've read, I'm no expert.
Nah city and guilds is practical and classroom nvq is the basic of basic qualification

Wasnt saying city and guilds is no good by the way just saying nvq 2 is what you need for card...if you're already onsite do OSAT.
U still get a card For city guilds I've got a gold cscs card..its better than a blue nvq cscs card so if he's got a choice go with the higher qual

U still get a card For city guilds I've got a gold cscs card..its better than a blue nvq cscs card so if he's got a choice go with the higher qual
I thought he wanted to get on site not get the highest qualification...i take it the gold is for level 3 so chap would need a couple of years at college to get that....for what point?

Listen I'd love to have all the qualifications but that's not possible. I don't have the time or the money to chase multiple qualifications.

Gold cards are for supervisors and black cards are for managers, I don't really need either of those cards as they're not the positions I'm applying for (I'd be over qualified)

£550 sounds good, especially when compared to what a full college course would cost me (about three times that)

Is this for an NVQ Level 2 Blue Skilled Worker Card? That's what most employers are looking for so that's what I want.

The problem is most of my work is the same, I mainly board and skim in people's houses. Would I need to seek out bigger and more complex jobs for the assessments?

There is a framework from Cskills and City and Guilds that we need to follow but yes its a level 2 nvq you will get on completion - included in the price is your registration fee for the award. send me your number and i will call you tomorrow.

I thought he wanted to get on site not get the highest qualification...i take it the gold is for level 3 so chap would need a couple of years at college to get that....for what point?
As i asked him wat does he want a card FOr is it to get a full time position with a company which he didn't answear he cnt just want a card to get on site surely I've never been asked and I'm on sites all time nearly with the sounds of it he needs a cscs card which if is the case he can just by pass it all and get a labourers card to get onto site then wen guy sees he can plaster he wnt give a f**k which card he's got if he wants to get a full time Job with a company like keepmoat or be on books for a firm then yes he may need to prove his quals that's wat I was getting at..

There is a framework from Cskills and City and Guilds that we need to follow but yes its a level 2 nvq you will get on completion - included in the price is your registration fee for the award. send me your number and i will call you tomorrow.
Can i send you my number Lynn :love:

She posted a pic of herself on a thread ages ago when i said she was tidy. The fact i look like the count off sesame street or a two legged badger wrapped in a curtain ruined it :endesacuerdo:

U got watsapp marshy? Type geasons number in ur phone and save it and lyns face pops up...very nice

Jesus, when she said her name was Lynn I expecting a blonde in her 40's (don't know why) but yeah she's nice... Very nice :sorprendido3:

As i asked him wat does he want a card FOr is it to get a full time position with a company which he didn't answear

company like keepmoat or be on books for a firm then yes he may need to prove his quals that's wat I was getting at..

Yes I'd like to be working for a company on the books. That way I could do my own small jobs at the weekends if I need more cash but have steady work and holiday pay etc.

I don't enjoy dealing with customers so my long term goal is to work for a company.

Wat
U done watsapp test lol?

:sisi:

Yes that's wat I was getting at cudnt understand y u wud need a nvq card to get onto site as all u need is a cscs card

Status
Not open for further replies.