Solo rolling gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a ceiling to do 2mo and I'm on my own, it's quite long and got lots of funny shapes coming off it and although I could split it easily enough as there are lots of narrowish parts I was wondering about trying a rolling gauge!

Never done one but I'm not afraid of the graft! Just didn't know if people ever done them without another trowel or even a lab and what everyone's opinion on it is.

2m or 20m or 200m.........?? cant see you wanting to split a 2m or a 20m ceiling marra

Sorry don't know the measure as i got areas to skim all over the job and this is the only one ready for 2mo, took some water and kit up at end of today and had a quick look and at a rough guess I'd say about 70m2 but is hard to say as its a very odd shape and seems big coz it is quite long. Do you ever do rolling gauges

Got a ceiling to do 2mo and I'm on my own, it's quite long and got lots of funny shapes coming off it and although I could split it easily enough as there are lots of narrowish parts I was wondering about trying a rolling gauge!

Never done one but I'm not afraid of the graft! Just didn't know if people ever done them without another trowel or even a lab and what everyone's opinion on it is.

Have a look here Sedo
>> http://www.plasterersforum.com/plasterers-forums-information-guides/29713-rolling-set.html

Thanks, sound advice. I did do a search but didn't see that one, I have understood the system for a while and have always wanted to try it but just not sure about being on me Todd.

The bit about only mixing a small amount up at a time is quite clever and does make it seem like it would be more manageable. Would you tackle it in 2 big hits or try mixing up a bag a time Nisus?

Get some 3mm stops and break it up, feck doing 70m on yer own.. All it would take is it to start going in too fast and you've lost it.

Thanks, sound advice. I did do a search but didn't see that one, I have understood the system for a while and have always wanted to try it but just not sure about being on me Todd.

The bit about only mixing a small amount up at a time is quite clever and does make it seem like it would be more manageable. Would you tackle it in 2 big hits or try mixing up a bag a time Nisus?

1) I wouldn't do it on me own mate, not that I couldn't :rolleyes)
I would just price 2 on the job, do it all in 1 no joins :RpS_thumbup:
2) I definitely wouldn't do it on me own on a FRIDAY!!!! :-0

Doing more and more of these lately, but not on single areas. Just splits...and you can get tons on.

But no...not on a friday!!!

Get the guys in that can float and set a 5 bedroom house out in 2 days, by my reckoning a 70 meter ceiling should be about half an hours graft to them hero's.

Get a decent scaffold to work off you will be able to do alot more on. doing the pogo on and off a hop up all the time is a pain in the arris on big ceilings.

How much do you usually set a day? If it's less than the area of this ceiling then get some help in, if it's the same or less than you normally do then stop being a pussy and get on with it.

I'm a pussy,turned up started it mixing one bag more or less at a time and after 4 buckets thought **** this and split it. Chalk/plasterboard marks on the wall where I stopped and started was a great help to as at one point I couldn't remember what the **** I was doing.

my conclusion is that trying it and not finishing in one set definitely took longer and if I had to do it again I would split it in 2 and then maybe a quick set. Came out good in the end tho and I'm def going to do it again next time I've got a lab or with my mate, thanks for the advice.

done a 75 2 years ago with just a lab but i did it off stilts managed to do it in one hit but i was fooked at the end and the room i did sounds like it was squarer than your one

I'd like a go at something like that just so I know I could do it if you know what I mean? I still haven't measured what I done today but I know I used 6 and a bit bags and there was to beads to fill so I guess it was pushing 70m which depending on the job I can normally do but doing those first 4 bags one at a time really did take the blood out of my arm so fare play to a 75m hit lab or not.

How much do you usually set a day? If it's less than the area of this ceiling then get some help in, if it's the same or less than you normally do then stop being a pussy and get on with it.

could normally do those metres depending on job obv, was just wanting to try a rolling set and curious to see how many other spreads do rolling gauges.

Good job I read this after doing the ceiling or I would have probably just gone for it trying not to be a pussy, oh wait i did try and gave up, can we just say that I'm not quite a hero yet.:RpS_crying:

out of interest are you a hero?:rolleyes)

could normally do those metres depending on job obv, was just wanting to try a rolling set and curious to see how many other spreads do rolling gauges. :rolleyes)

Good job I read this after doing the ceiling or I would have probably just gone for it trying not to be a pussy, oh wait i did try and gave up, can we just say that I'm not quite a hero yet.:RpS_crying:

No mate I'm no hero, I'm 47 and about four stone over weight, but just recently I did ceilings of 76m2, 66m2 and 50m2. How does such a fat old **** manage that? Well I understand and use a rolling set which, if you smacked four bags straight on means you don't. You have to keep it all under control. I'm not saying it isn't hard work but it's still doable even for me lol.

???

out of interest are you a hero?:rolleyes)

No mate I'm no hero, I'm 47 and about four stone over weight, but just recently I did ceilings of 76m2, 66m2 and 50m2. How does such a fat old **** manage that? Well I understand and use a rolling set which, if you smacked four bags straight on means you don't. You have to keep it all under control. I'm not saying it isn't hard work but it's still doable even for me lol.

Fair play to you. Tbh I didn't smash four bags straight on I did try and time it but I guess the combination of trying something new and not being made of what ever they used make spreads out of just made me feel like I was chasing my work and although I do like to graft I don't like to chase the ******. Interesting that peeps on here are doing rolling sets and I'm def gonna try it next time I can but think I will have a mate or lab just to give me time to understand it a bit more.

A spread who does bits with me sometimes is 66 and at the end of the day I almost have to push him out the van as he is all seized up! Goes for it in the day mind you and as soon as that gear is on the spot he doesn't stop grafting. **** knows how you o.a.ps do it:RpS_biggrin:

Last edited:
I'd like a go at something like that just so I know I could do it if you know what I mean? I still haven't measured what I done today but I know I used 6 and a bit bags and there was to beads to fill so I guess it was pushing 70m which depending on the job I can normally do but doing those first 4 bags one at a time really did take the blood out of my arm so fare play to a 75m hit lab or not.
8sqm per bag two coats soo 6 and a bit bags say 50sqm

i hate rolling sets but as said, can save you few quid not having to get mates in, i never use labs, my whisk is my lab....

its all about timing and control though, you can put on all day long once youv got the knack, but does kill the arm lol

im more of bag n half first coat n skimpy half bucket 2nd coat these days, if i dont knock up enough........it dont get done. :RpS_wink:

I've done rolling and big sets. Drawing on my age and experience today I would split it.......... into four .

Status
Not open for further replies.