Solar Panels

Hi all :D

Has anybody had these fitted in the last 2 years?

Worth doing or not now?

I use most of my electric in the day time with 4 PCs running and what not.

My mrs works at energy company technology has evolved apparently there are solar panels that you can get on the ground now mate
Might be worth a look instead of the roof

At mine we had them on our roof with the cost of energy in la 6 months we getting minimal return ,if we could store what’s generated in the day would help

We got analogue meter (disc version) so we can track if there doing the job

I've got the underground solar panel system! Ain't had power for 6 months don't know what I did wrong fit um myself!

I’ve helped my mate on a few solar installs and repairs. Work out what power you roughly use from appliances during the day and convert into kWh’s and multiply by going rate. Will give you an idea if there is any saving.
Each panel is roughly 250Watts, so rule of thumb, is that you get 1kW produced for every four panels depending on operating efficiency etc.

One job, lady had had a system put in when they were subsidised a few years back. All the sales paperwork was still there and they basically had promised the Earth. Think she’d paid about 9k for an 8 panel system and it was suggested that she’d save about 30k over the lifespan, making it seem very attractive, but obviously complete bullshit. My mate got the call because it had stopped working. Shoddy wiring on the roof and the inverter had packed in. Luckily for her, it was just in warranty and the manufacturer replaced it FOC. Still cost her price of scaffolding a d Labour to sort out the wiring on the roof panels.

Another one was when he got a call from someone who’s elderly parents had a system and then been conned a year or so later out of an additional 6k saying they needed to update it with some new optimisers to make it run even more efficiently. Long story short, he got their money back, but the system at best would save £120 a year, so for a couple in their 80’s, they were completely missold it in the first place.

Not be negative Danny, just be careful as they are often sold based on 100% theoretical output, but in the real world etc!

Ive got a 5 panel system sat waiting to go on my house but it didn’t cost me anything so it’s a no brainier.

If you forget any feed-in cash benefits, would you use the power it produces yourself ?- e.g. lots of IT, an air-source heat pump, hotwater tank etc. If yes, size the panels to that as suggested, if not then don't bother.
It used to be the case you could buy abroad cheaper and bring it back in the van and self-install. Probably not possible now.

Green energy’s a hoax.. don’t know why people keep buying into the bullshit on the daily. Don’t take my word for it.. listen to the salesman an adverts who’s selling the pitch ha!

We had 8 panels fitted. saving about £4 a day so far...

When our plannning gets approved I will be adding another 16/20 to the system....

Coupled with log burners I will hopefully have very little fuel bills :D

When our plannning gets approved I will be adding another 16/20 to the system....

How much did it cost to have eight panels fitted mate?

In OZ the boundary fences are metal these are also solar panels.
So there is an opportunely for you young chaps!

Lovely, how so if you don't mind me asking?
Looking Youngboy Never Broke Again GIF by The Kid LAROI.

no idea jane sorted it. I think because our property had teh lowest energy rating and 2 toddlers and and one being ill all helped the cause.

We got free central heating and 300mm of loft insulation...

We never get anything so it has been somewhat of a result
Oh nice result mate.

You can get used panels so cheap now that, if you have a decent south facing roof, there's little reason not to fit them.

I bought two sets within the past couple of years - 3kw of panels cost me £600 ish, and then, a while after, i found a 4kw set with inverter and mounting hardware for £400.

I mean at £400, the break even point at todays power costs is pretty close. Or would be close, if i actually got the roof finished up that they're going on!

FITS etc are non existent now, but you wouldn't get them for a non MCS install anyway.

We are thinking about getting them on our place. Can’t get any grants as we have oil heating. Want them for when law and order breaks down, or maybe the apocalypse. Do they run off nuclear radiation?

I will be adding more :D

We have had our first complaint by a neighbour 2 doors up about our planning application...

Hopefully the planners can see through her bullshit and grant it :D

We have 8 on my house to it's looking good so far after a year I think I'll have a good look and I'll go for more

EV vehicles burn power fast, solar panels produce power slowly, so it'll never work. Most van travellers use them to keep topping up batteries that are running low power devices like fridges and limited led lighting, plus slightly higher power laptops.