So very confused!

Hello
We've just bought a 1860s brick house single skin (? eg no cavity wall). We are in a conservation area. There is concrete render on the front wall which is a newer wall. The rest of the house is just brick (phew). So no render on any old bricks. However, there is some spalling of brickwork, and some downstairs level damp (probably condensation).

Im thinking cork and cork spray, but apart from probably needing planning permission, do I need to get the bricks done first or can the spray be done over the spalling bricks to 'protect' them? And will I have to sort out inside insulation before outside, especially if I need planning permission.
I'm really confused as to what to do first (apart from fascias and soffits!)

Could be a number of things do you have lime pointing? Are the bricks painted? What is the subfloor we do no end of digging up concrete and replacing with Limecrete.
Also check your plasterwork inside as should also be lime.
Where are you based?

8A3C6AB3-7C14-4D15-80E6-62F96A76441F.gif

Could be a number of things do you have lime pointing? Are the bricks painted? What is the subfloor we do no end of digging up concrete and replacing with Limecrete.
Also check your plasterwork inside as should also be lime.
Where are you based?
It is like pointing with some painting that has flaked, and some spalling bricks underneath.

Get the spalling done first you need to find out whats happend with the spalling could be due to water/moisture penatration from the elements,could be the old clay bricks and lime mortar which I'm guessing you have on a 1860s house who knows best get it looked at first
Thank you, so spalling / any damp issues/ plastering, then fascias/soffits/gutters etc, then (cork) render

Hi - is that to my question as in I'm talking rubbish? I just need to get my head around what to do.
Sorry - Too many points for my monkey brain!
You’ll get there with determination tackling each aspect one by one
My advice is don’t be too hasty as there are many solutions that people can give but really only ever one (or two) specific solution is the correct way forward and only some one with experience, understanding and integrity will provide it - do your research and that includes research on who you choose to do the work

Sorry - Too many points for my monkey brain!
You’ll get there with determination tackling each aspect one by one
My advice is don’t be too hasty as there are many solutions that people can give but really only ever one (or two) specific solution is the correct way forward and only some one with experience, understanding and integrity will provide it - do your research and that includes research on who you choose to do the work
Thank you - I genuinely don't know how much I don't know :)

Your on about Cork render is that the spec for the house, or something you like the look of I would be more inclined to consider a lime render, especially with it being a single skin house, is the plaster shot inside the house aswell

Your on about Cork render is that the spec for the house, or something you like the look of I would be more inclined to consider a lime render, especially with it being a single skin house, is the plaster shot inside the house aswell
It's plaster boards inside the downstairs, and upstairs im not sure about.

I think if you have brick work with paint with spalling it’s more then likely the paint not being breathable so would need to get this removed first either chemical or blasting.
I’m not too sure you would be allowed to render a non rendered building in a conservation area I know in my area it’s a 100% no but this might differ depending on where you are. Just be careful and only get experienced experts in the is too many chancers who will tell you it will be ok and take your cash