Small Bathroom in Leeds

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm

I have a small bathroom that needs doing ASAP. 2.5 x 1.5m. LS26 area of Leeds

Ceiling has been boarded and needs skimming. One long wall and one short wall(both bare brick) need dry linng and then skimming too. I have 12.5mm boards here already.

I estimate it's a mornings work(bit more perhaps) for a decent spread.

Need it doing asap though, call 07917842650 if you want to quote or send me a PM.

bit more than a morning mate, dabbings gotta set before you can skim it.. might just get it in a day....

del said:
how do you know its a mornings work, or a bit more for a spread?

I'm just going off what work I've had done previous and trying to give you an idea how long it might take. I did say in brackets it could be a bit more. I'm not gonna be looking over your shoulder with a stop watch. :)

Honestly, doesn't really matter to me how long it takes. Didn't mean to offend.

none taken mate, without seeing it, i would say 250, 300 pounds, as segs said the boards have got to dry, which means back the next day to finish

just a thought mate but if you havent already read it, you might wanna check out the thread entitled 'best approach for bathroom walls' in the general board..

bigsegs said:
just a thought mate but if you havent already read it, you might wanna check out the thread entitled 'best approach for bathroom walls' in the general board..

Yea, I have been ummm and arring over the same thing recently. I got a couple MR boards to try near the bath/toilet area and have some tanking to put on round the wet areas before the tiler arrives.

FWIW, the boards I ripped off around the old bath area(been on since 1977) were just standard handy boards with a skim coat and a paint finish. Only 3 rows of tiles splashback around the bath and the boards were in perfect condition, no signs of damp or decay at all anywhere.

by the time youve set up for skimmin the boards would have set should be gone for one £200 nice easy day.

I had a guy come and do part of this job today. Gotta be the worst example of D&D I've ever seen, boards must be an inch off the wall in places and the vertical level is a million miles off.

Gonna have to rip them off and get someone else, he won't be coming back tomorrow.

If you think I'm exaggerating, check out the attachment. The level is, er level and touching the PB at the bottom of the wall.

err.......is that cause youre holding the level on the window sill ???

spunkybum said:
err.......is that cause youre holding the level on the window sill ???

nope, level is in front of it and plumb.

You can even see it's miles off just by looking at it. Attached another angle

dabs are usually tighter at skirting level so do you think maybe he did it on purpose cause you might have lost youre sill ......if i were you i'd see how heavy is dabs are at skirting level if there tight he's got an arguement

spunkybum said:
dabs are usually tighter at skirting level so do you think maybe he did it on purpose cause you might have lost youre sill ......if i were you i'd see how heavy is dabs are at skirting level if there tight he's got an arguement

They're defo t-hick, I can see down the sides. He went through 3 full bags of adhesive on about 7m2 of wall.

how much was the quote? and has he skimmed the other two walls and the ceiling today as well?

£150 and we bought the skim/adhesive

He did everything in the day except skimmed 1 wall. He didn't even start skimming until around 3-4, took him a long time to get the boards on the wall..

I took it all off today, no fun at all but it's now a straight run again. To be fair to the guy the wall does bow inwards in the middle a little(vertical level) meaning you'd pack it out in the middle more, less top and bottom. His problem was he packed it out big time at the bottom where he shouldn't have so it made the wall look worse. I measured that the surface of the boards were over 40mm from the brickwork at skirting level...I could have battened it out and lost less space!!

Dabs were just huge.... check out the attachment. That's a 12.5mm board

Ceiling might be able to be saved, bit of scrim pulled off on one side though. If anyone still wants to do this job I can email you pics of the entire room and show what's to do.

150 quid to skim the entire room AND dab 2 walls...
sorry to sound harsh mate but it does need saying..
that is too cheap... youve got 150 quids worth mate..
i know times are hard but you cant expect people to drop their prices that low and still work to the same quality standards.. you just cant do it as a plasterer, you get half way through the job and start thinking 'why am i doing this?' then it all goes to hell, if youve got a good price in you work to a good standard.. if youve got a low price in you work to a low standard..
you cant expect anything else..
out of interest did you knock him down in price or was that his first and final offer?

bigsegs said:
150 quid to skim the entire room AND dab 2 walls...
sorry to sound harsh mate but it does need saying..
that is too cheap... youve got 150 quids worth mate..
i know times are hard but you cant expect people to drop their prices that low and still work to the same quality standards.. you just cant do it as a plasterer, you get half way through the job and start thinking 'why am i doing this?' then it all goes to hell, if youve got a good price in you work to a good standard.. if youve got a low price in you work to a low standard..
you cant expect anything else..
out of interest did you knock him down in price or was that his first and final offer?

Hold on there, you're making a lot of assumptions. Who said anything about skimming the entire room?? And who says I'm expecting people to drop their prices??

He had to dot and dab 2 walls. The room is 2.5x1.5m. He then had to skim those *2* walls and skim the ceiling which was already boarded ready. No reveals to do either.

All materials were supplied by me, plasterboards, skim, adhesive and even tape. So let's not make it sound like I'm taking advantage of the recession by slave driving plasterers into doing jobs for such shitty money they question there own self worth.

And FWIW. I didn't knock him down a penny. Nor was it me who got him actually. 'Friend' of my sisters, her house, her choice.

alright fair enough, 2 walls and a ceiling
still a day..
id be in in the morning dab the walls then i gotta wait for em to go off, absolutely no point in skimming a tiny little ceiling on its own..
now, i charge 100 quid to skim a ceiling, it takes me 3 hours for the set, a maximum 4 hours with the set up.. thats cheap, usually cash, if ive gotta wait for it its 120 - 150
so, dab the walls, even if it takes me an hour its still 3 hours of my time, i just wouldnt want to skim it too early, specailly if the walls wonky and somewhere the dabs are thick..
then i'd just skim the lot in one set, it could be a bit bigger but it would make absolutley no difference to me or my price whatsoever..

so im lookin at a day which is gonna be 200 for cash or 250 otherwise..

i said this last year....
theres gonna be lads comin off site and entering the domestic market and charging site rates cos its what theyre used to..
then the general public are gonna start thinking thats the going rate...
next thing all the lads currently in the domestic market are gonna be finding it difficult if not impossible to make a living.. domestic work is a world away from site, if you look back to posts made around september/october last year youll find a whole load of topics on exactly this subject..
and if its not site lads its chancers...
or foreigners..
or both..
the quality of work the general public will expect is a world away from what site lads are used to and im not just talkin about finish, im talkin about tidiness, not leaving the drive covered in plaster dust, not pouring old mix down the sewers, not leaving rooms for the 'site cleaner' to sort out..
and as for suction control, take a bloke whos done nothing but skim board in his life and stick him on an overskim he's gonna come unstuck.. literally..
sad but true..
nuff said.

so its not your house, ok but now they have to pay someone else to do it, plus materials, why are you getting involved, this job is becoming expensive, if they just paid the sort of price i said, they might not be in this situation !

I would have done that on a sat for £150 and done a superb job and be gone by 3 pm latest, get there at 8 dabbed by 9 have a clear up and get your skimming kit ready have some breakfast start skimming at 11 probably finished by 2 and collect my £150 cash ..... I think that its a fair price to be honest,dont forget no material costs involved!!

Rich

richardbrown said:
I would have done that on a sat for £150 and done a superb job and be gone by 3 pm latest, get there at 8 dabbed by 9 have a clear up and get your skimming kit ready have some breakfast start skimming at 11 probably finished by 2 and collect my £150 cash ..... I think that its a fair price to be honest,dont forget no material costs involved!!

Rich
Yes but what about the six hour commute to get from your house to leeds

i wouldnt.. u know why? cos when people start tellin me how to do my job little alarm bells go off in my head..

bigsegs said:
i wouldnt.. u know why? cos when people start tellin me how to do my job little alarm bells go off in my head..

::)

First you tell me I'm getting people to knock their prices down, getting them to skim entire rooms, now I'm telling people how to do their job?

It's not really the case is it. I tried to describe the job as accurately as I could for the benefit of anyone interested, if you disagree with whatever I said then fair enough but let's not make me out to be something I'm not. I get the impression whatever I say, you'll question or spin round.

A bit of a lions den vibe in here u'know. I wondered why they're weren't many posts in this section of the forum.

i didnt mean to give that impression, it wasnt directed at you anyway..
put it this way, ive been in the domestic game for yonks..
ive met all types of customers, there are those that ask questions and nail you to the floor before youve even mentioned a price and there are those that allow you to go through your 'pitch' and then either accept or not.
no disrespect intended but youve already mentioned you 'estimated' the job to be a mornings work, maybe a little more based on what youve 'seen' done before..
surely, the details of the job are sufficient for a proffesional plasterer to make up his own mind about how long the job will take..
like i said, alarm bells..
i did a job for a 'builder' a few weeks back.. garage conversion ceiling..
he rang me up for a price, told me it was boarded and ready to go, i priced it over the phone
when i got there he'd boarded it himself, none of the joints were staggered, there were galvo nails sticking out everywhere and he'd actually coved the room out with gripfill and CLOUT NAILS! before anything got skimmed..
so, i politely explain that the ceiling may crack due to the boards not being staggered, im also gonna have to mash all those nails back in and the fact that its coved makes it a slightly more difficult job, all this affects price..
this bloke looked at me like i was trying to rip him off..
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in my experience..
so because ive had lots of experience of customers with 'a little knowledge' im very very wary when it comes to pricing and doing the job....
sorry if you were offended but what should have been a simple and straightforward job for a 'good spread' has turned into a nightmare..
punters eh? like women.... cant live withem, cant live without em... ;D

I feel sorry for wm. He was only asking a question!
It's not as if he came on saying he was doing a paid job and wanted detailed instructions of how to plaster to take the bread from our kids mouths is it?

Not that I'm pointing any fingers!
::)

Status
Not open for further replies.