sm700px1/42a basecoat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris W

would all you lads that use products whose names have absolutely no reference to what the F@CK it is mind awfully inventing a generic term that covers all products from different companies that do exactly the same job as the next companies product for the benefit of us c'nts that dont use it so we have at least 1/2 an idea of just WHAT THE F@CK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT???

weeelllll...
theyre all bangin on about these products like its a 'keep it in the family secret squirrel' club.... i havent got a scooby what theyre on about half the time cos the bloody product name keeps changing but ill bet my last rollo that most of em do the same friggin thing...

btw.... im having a beer today so im likely get worse... anything i come out with after about 8 should be taken with a large pinch of salt with no offence taken... :RpS_laugh: or maybe that should be... :RpS_blushing:

weeelllll...
theyre all bangin on about these products like its a 'keep it in the family secret squirrel' club.... i havent got a scooby what theyre on about half the time cos the bloody product name keeps changing but ill bet my last rollo that most of em do the same friggin thing...

Yeah, sometimes I go word- blind when I see it's a thread about the XCDer11112 or is it the XCDer111111112? Mind you - that thread about the 25% rule that you put up was starting to batter me tiny wee brain:RpS_thumbup:

don't panic mate it sounds hard work but it's probably slot easier than having to form a double arch on a refurb with Walls all over the place .........it's just an adhesive coat used for thin coat renders and you use it to stick insulation boards I won't preach too much cause I'm not too clued up meself

sorry mate, i was teetotal over the weekend and me brain was on fire so i thought id exploit the condition and use it to put that 25% thing to bed once and for all... did i get any thanks for it? did i bollox... :RpS_laugh:

should have been a sticky...

reckon i sorted it though....not seen anyone disagree...

but this attitude towards 'keeping it in the family'.... well i thought we were the friggin family, or is it just those that use it, and f'ck the rest of us?

There's only a certain few that do it all over the world lol ........don't know mate there's a fine line between what you want to talk about and keeping things to yourself I suppose

i agree to a point mate, theres a line where it just becomes a pain to have to explain what your on about but if i said for example 'olroyd' or 'membrane' which one would be the more understandable?
sm700 could be friggin anything...
it p'sses me off mate that people use this forum like that... take the 'bollox to the customer' attitude exibited on the 'pine gable end render' thread... what sort of advice is it that puts a potential customer at risk? what a crap attitude...

yeh its a plasterers forum...

and how many times have people said 'you aint a 'plasterer if you cant do xyz'?

these same f'ckin people seemed to think that the doc L1b regulation was completely f'ckin irrelavant and didnt apply to them till I went and proved em wrong...

do i get any thanks for it?

no mate, i'll prolly get called a f'ckin judas for giving people information...

rant over, it wasnt aimed at anyone, just me gettin on one cos i havent got a clue what your talkin about... :RpS_blushing:

If you were a girl I'd be asking if you were due on Chris.................go and gerranuvver beer:RpS_thumbup:

We couldnt do that pal sorry

the likes SM700 and Maite are superior to other thin coat basecoats for mesh/insulation and dont do the same job, used in the same way yes but some do much better job than others.

I do understand your plight but so many bases are used for different things so there is no real one stop product. different backgrounds and finish specs will determaine what base I use and i would select the most suitable for the application. some bases that are good on eps sometimes give you problems on wool and vice versa its just one of those things really

so help me out a bit here then lads, stick a few more references in when you post up, it makes the threads easier to glean info from, maybe stick a bracketed reference in to what exactly the product is such as basecoat or top coat etc... one per thread would do?

how bout it guys?

please?

:RpS_wub:

maite matey for me butts.......been using so much of the stuff lately on aquaboards and trying to get it flat as poss that today I thought why not use it to smooth over a home made self levelling of wet sand, cement, lankolatex over a bitumen floor that was under parquet. Worked a treat and looks like a cream carpet too!

sorry chris maite(parex thin basecoat....a white tile adhesive type material for making basecoats more like skimming used over insulation or external boards, also old renders)

any of you lads fancy doin a bit of a glossary of terms in the noob section for nobheads like me?

usually for thin coat systems onto renderboard or insulation= (aquapanel/cement particle board/insulation polystyrene or wool slabs) you will need to use a very high co-polymer/acrylic render basecoat because the background is flexible and squashy in some cases there is alot of thermal expansion (it expands and contracts) so to get the amount of strength and flexibility needed normal render will not work the hi spec renders do the job along with anti crack reinforcing mesh. they are applied usually between 2 and 8mm depending on th system but most will be 4-6mm. SM700 is one of these basecoats from MARMORIT a very good basecoat as is MAITE from PAREX other basecoats using polymer tech such as HP12 are polymeric but no where near as strong or flexible as the other two mentioned here and are better suited to masonry backgrounds giving an upgrade spec to sand and cement. more flexi for instance.

I will leave it there to keep it simple.

There are tho systems using much lower polymer bases onto insulation but I cant say who's on here and there are of course some systems buying in bases from other people and rebranding so it does get confusing.

i thought about writing a guide on these systems but like i said it can be confusing and to fully explain the different methods/systems/application I will prob have to slag some systems off and that I cant do even tho I might be thinking it. Maybe one daay I will do a writ up on one manufacturers system from start to finish

appreciation for the info so far lads nice one, it does make it easier to understand long as you understand co-polymer etc..

basically what youre saying is these products are flexible base coats applied to, shall we say, (and theres a better word for this somewhere i know) "flexible but plasterable" backgrounds...

if in doubt, use something ultra flexi although possibly more expensive but you can pretty much guarantee the longevity of the finish yes?

and by 'co-polymer' im just gonna refer to it as 'flexible' cos thats all it comes down to at the end of the day, never mid strings of two different types of molecule bonded together at a molecular level such as 'nylon'.... its all just additives to aggregate yes?

well you dont need to understand co-polymers at this stage. just that you need a very high polymer render to do the job. a cementious product such as ocr will not do, these rely on suction adhesion to a masonry backing, polymers bond to the substrates more like a glue some thing that sm700 and MAITE and GENESIS does very well and some others dont

Goody you know what i mean tho some 'suposed thin coat bases can still be pushed in with your thumb and crumble away from the eps - this does not happen with sm or maite you know the score butt If it was your own house you would soon narrow down these render systems to 2 or 3 and

maite is probably the most advanced gear ive used really.....yes it's expensive but you get what you pay for with it. Am gonna use it on my own house to mesh over the tired dash and texture acrylic a nice heavy 5mm grain in a cool colour. How does sm700 differ?

right, so in effect what youre sayin is the higher the level of 'co-polymer' the stickier it is and the less 'sand and cement like' it is...

in other words, a product with a high level of co-polymer will virtually stick to anything. alright, anything reasonable such as polystyrene or even cellotex, wheras the cheaper versions have less co-polymer and are therefore more suited to substrates with a bit of good old traditional 'suction' to hold em in place?

you wouldnt want to stick anything at all over timber or say 'upvc' same as just about anything in the plastering world yes?

but given a reasonable amount of play, and a high level of insulation, what you want is a product particular to the amount of movement expected, and the better the product, the lower the risk of things like shelling, delamination etc yes?

your right chris they can be applied diectly to a sheethed timber building for instance as long as the correct render board was used so imagine a block of flats like this and the movement it will be subject to yeah but this system will do the job. it dont work on wood or upvc no that bit you got.

they are still considered a mortar and do have cement/sand/fibres in them but nothing like an ocr that is mostly cementious with low amount of polymers. but there other chemicals used in thin coats acrylics too all sorts of stuff.

I beleive that some systems use lower polymer gear over insulation tho . stuff that I would only trust 100% onto masonry. these I would not use on my own place.

you know a thin coat base coz they usually set in a couple of hours and are difficult to get of your trowel in fact bloody murder to get of your trowel.

Goody SM700 is like MAITE very similar some of the lads actually recon SM700 as the best out there, Better than MAITE. I have them on an equal level you can bend the stuff (within reason) when its set ant it wont crack

on a lighter note if it's even stevens plaster......i bet the parex smells nicer! am sure it parfumed or something, them sexy polymers are sweet sweet sweet

on a lighter note if it's even stevens plaster......i bet the parex smells nicer! am sure it parfumed or something, them sexy polymers are sweet sweet sweet

Goody you are one of the more colourful posters on the forum:RpS_thumbup:

takes some beating maite altough it aint cheap.

has anyone used the micro gobetis 2000 stuff before, have to use it on a spec for celcon blocks to kill the old suction.

:RpS_lol:

so the general concensus...
if its high performance co polymer basecoats your after... go for the parex...
love it :RpS_laugh:

very much appreciate the added info though lads... now we know what were dealing with...

its basically 'flexible' tile adhesive, like the premixed bucket stuff, or standard rapid set mixed not with water but with the flexi additive...

so next question has to be, what is the next or top coat? assuming its got to be as flexible as the basecoat? or has it?

common sense states that if you were to apply something less flexible to a flexible background you are not only asking for trouble, youre a complete nobhead but is that right?

he yeah urself and chris w, blonovich, included mate. Do you ever notice that when scrolling down pages on here there's one line, two lines, two words then four paragraphs!!(this being your own post ha). Try it, look back at your replies there's a distinct pattern that's funny. The woman ribs me over the length of my posts compared to some others. Nothing wrong with a bit of verbal diarrhoea eh butts?

depends on the depth of your interest i suppose mate...always been one for gettin me point across though, smileys are alright for 1 liners but we all gotta keyboard....

good info is always gonna be appreciated... good on yer lads...:RpS_thumbup:

nobody HAS to do anything.... but respect for those that share their knowledge with the wider community...

used microgobetis on a job to even out the suction on facebricks for mono. Worked a treat and slowed the suction right down, with a sandpaper finish to it for key. Wicked product that's not used enough really

Status
Not open for further replies.