SM700 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any experience finishing this stuff to recieve paint, like a plain face s+c render?
Its on Aquapanel, so it'll be fully meshed and using 6mm beads.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Yea dont put it on thick bout 3 to 4 mm, it hang about for ages and u got let it pull right it b float, sponge it up and down cos won't sponge in circles , prepare to lose ur mind on this, the rep said it a poor mans render, couple a blokes used sponge float to rub up but never saw the finish , hope it helps a little

yeah was thinking of meshing one day to pull out the thickness and straighten things up a bit, then toping it the next day.
so you would use a standard rendering float or what? We've got some dense sponge floats, I'm gonna give it a go with them
Not looking forward to it I must admit

Gave it a go today. And it went pretty well - looks good.
Gave it a tight coat with mesh, left it over night then topped it next day. Gave it a good spat and then a splash of water to tidy things up. And like you said GT776 let it pull right in before trying to finish it.
Got the Rafina power float out with a nice dense sponge pad - that worked a treat. Then used a fine rendering sponge to get any grain lines out. sorted
Just another 270m² to go!

I have always been told by the manufacture never to add water to the thin coat bases. It weakens the finish. Seen examples and now never sponge or wet up the finish as we have been told it would void the guarantee as it will be clear in tests water has been used to force a finish ?

I think sponging it does give a nice finish but when applying top coats this get covered by 1-2mm material. Its easy to to crate the flat base coat with a spatula and any trowel/spat lines can be taken off the next morning.

Thats my understanding

Yes I gave a how to on finishing maite. So this sm700 pro allows you to finish the 2nd coat of base to a finish? It's hard getting it mint enough for just paint on two coats of base. Especially bits of frayed mesh here and there and neat angles etc. I've been thinking about using the swing gun to produce a maite top coat. You could apply a medium roughcast over 1 coat of base. Or a fine 1mm covering like dpr over a neater 2 coats of base. Painted up at the end. The paint would be offset by no primer.

Thing is your talking £17 a bag for maite vs £70 a tub of dpr. Gotta be some mileage in exploring the base coat possibilities sprayed as a finish.

Yes I gave a how to on finishing maite. So this sm700 pro allows you to finish the 2nd coat of base to a finish? It's hard getting it mint enough for just paint on two coats of base. Especially bits of frayed mesh here and there and neat angles etc. I've been thinking about using the swing gun to produce a maite top coat. You could apply a medium roughcast over 1 coat of base. Or a fine 1mm covering like dpr over a neater 2 coats of base. Painted up at the end. The paint would be offset by no primer.

Yeah as long as you get the first coat just right, To thick and the second coat will be too grainy. Too thin and it hangs like fcuk,but the latter is better.
Don't see why your maite top coat wouldn't work- give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.