slow down in essex / suffolk

malc

TPF Special Forces
it seems that there is a slow down of site work in the essex suffolk area as there are quite a few plasterers doing the rounds to try to find work at the moment.
i know we were the first area out of the recession we may be the first to slow down, there is a huge number of plasterers that work this area.

it seems that there is a slow down of site work in the essex suffolk area as there are quite a few plasterers doing the rounds to try to find work at the moment.
i know we were the first area out of the recession we may be the first to slow down, there is a huge number of plasterers that work this area.
Interesting malc

Lot are unsure of the Brexit thing apparently not sure how to take that but that's the rumour

very interesting... what are you thinking malc? Falling back into a recession possibly?

very interesting... what are you thinking malc? Falling back into a recession possibly?

i hope not! essex has been one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

the plasterers who i know that are not working are house bashers on site.
the plastering contractors are not taking the sites on as the rates the builders/ developers want to pay are about 5 years out of date, there is no money left in the work.

the plastering contractors are not taking the sites on as the rates the builders/ developers want to pay are about 5 years out of date, there is no money left in the work.
Fair play to them for standing there ground
Old rates with a few months waiting for money is not great

Fair play to them for standing there ground
Old rates with a few months waiting for money is not great

one large house developer wants a contractor to match the price of his old contractor, who went bust twice trying to do his work.

I live in Colchester now but never really worked here,only the odd domestic job so never heard of them,I thought most of the new build stuff here is not skimmed

I live in Colchester now but never really worked here,only the odd domestic job so never heard of them,I thought most of the new build stuff here is not skimmed

lou was one of the few plasterers to become a millionaIre, alan was his QS.
some of the developers have gone back to what they call trad. building, what i call 60s building, float walls in sand and cement and skim,

some of the developers have gone back to what they call trad. building, what i call 60s building, float walls in sand and cement and skim,
Why have they gone back to that malc is it the cost of material is cheaper?

f**k**g hard graft
for little money I imagine?

Material cost of lorry load of sand and cement must ne sod all and if the rates are crap as well I see only one winner there, try to get some of the young lads to skim is hard enough but to render would be a no go

f**k**g hard graft

for little money I imagine?

i think the problem is every time the plasterer finds a better way of doing the job, ie machine applied, speedskim, stilts etc. it lasts for about a year then the developer catches on and the prices go down.

i think the problem is every time the plasterer finds a better way of doing the job, ie machine applied, speedskim, stilts etc. it lasts for about a year then the developer catches on and the prices go down.
Can't be having anyone doing well can they!! If they see someone happy at their prices and doing well they see it as lost profit. Cooonts!

Maybe they are not taking the sites on as they don't want the stress of finding labour to work for poor rates or dealing with substandard thrashed out work.
I have contractors call me for site skimming but always refuse cos of the rates.

boom time across north and west Yorkshire at the moment, I know of plastering gaffers looking for spreads and cant fill them. rendering outfits I know are booked into September/october at the moment, and rates on the rise.

boom time across north and west Yorkshire at the moment, I know of plastering gaffers looking for spreads and cant fill them. rendering outfits I know are booked into September/october at the moment, and rates on the rise.

it will be interesting to see if the essex slow down is just a blip or carries on across the country.

And only too right! It's a game of swings and roundabouts when they hold the cards and no work around they soon drive the price down and as we all know it works the other way too

Interesting thread this one, fingers crossed its some kind of protest against the house builders and not a slow down, there's housing schemes going up all over near us, I got offered £2.30m2 for skim and £2mL for coving don't think so some how. Crap plaster and crap rates what could possibly go wrong.

The Large main Contractors are no different to the Internet enquirers who google how much should I pay and then just look to get a cheap job rather than a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk