skimmng prices?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug1986

ive recently started working for my self as a plasterer,
i was just looking for advice on what to charge a m2 for skimming onto new plasterboard i am supplying the material, its a attic conversion with alot of awkward shapes but i am sub contracting for a builder,this is the first time he has used me and want to give a fair price, do a good job and hopefully he will use me again (his usual plasterer let him down) any advice would be appreciated many thanks.
p.s the whole job is 150 m2 its a wee bit travelling aswell,70 mile round trip.

Welcome doug firstly we will need a few more details like the builders contact details so we can all make sure its not the builder we used to do work for who is trying to get a cheaper price of another plasterer. You can understand that sometimes people come on here and their first post is how much should this cost and who's to say this isnt the builder fishing for a price. I mean you should actually know how much it costs if youve been in the game a while and you lived round there.....oh you never mentioned where your from and how much experience you have but probably slipped your mind. Ill tell you what why dont you go into the newbie section so that you can introduce yourself and this way you might not get these kind of replies xxxxxxxx

You know what. I'm not even going to tell him how useless he is if he's starting a business and can't price a job. Yet another newbie in how ever many days who doesn't know what the **** they are doing. Yet no one will tell them they are a waste of space. Mods feel free to delete this is you want, but this is bullshit.

do the same as we all have mate learn by doin and learn from your experiences after this job youll know what to do:rolleyes) can no one think for them selfs nowadays.
i dnt mean to be offensive mate but there is a truck load of posters who just come on here looking for us to give them thier price thus doin the first part of thier job for them, then they never come back or put anything into this forum, also this trade is on its knees at the moment price wise and IF we gave you current meterages and you turned out to be a builder fishing for prices we would be contributeing to ******* our own trade, and i for one am not goin to take the bread out of my own familys mouth

You guys can be a right bunch of ***** sometimes! ever thought he might, just MIGHT be genuine and just never had the confidence to go it alone so wants to make sure he gets it right first time? I swear some of you guys forget that we were all there once, at the beginning, trying to work it all out, dont bullshit and say you didnt ever ask daft questions, actually, do bullshit, cos your all godlike and never f**k*d up, right? ;)

doug you will never make money out of a builder!just a wage if that !so if you think it's a weeks work then tell him what you want etc.then you will be undercut by a fireman no offence lads or a pole!welcome to 2011 on the trowel get spreading!!!!!!

ive recently started working for my self as a plasterer,
i was just looking for advice on what to charge a m2 for skimming onto new plasterboard i am supplying the material, its a attic conversion with alot of awkward shapes but i am sub contracting for a builder,this is the first time he has used me and want to give a fair price, do a good job and hopefully he will use me again (his usual plasterer let him down) any advice would be appreciated many thanks.
p.s the whole job is 150 m2 its a wee bit travelling aswell,70 mile round trip.
if u live in cov charge about 50 pence a m2 or if ur good like beddy 80 pence

Alright then how much do you think you should be charging doug labour Only and labour plus supplying the kit?

yes we was all there free rider but i never had anyone i could ask prices i tried the guy who taught me and he said what i said.........learn its the only way youll truly get the hang of it by makeing mistakes and learning from them, also if he told me prices then i would be takeing work away from him.
we have all said its fine to discuss prices BUT only in the private forum which contributeing members only can get into, dan has asked this aswell to stop one post wonders, these one post wonders want us to price a job for them then they **** off without contribueing anything in return, its not alot to ask is it , just contribute a little every now and then, also the chances are if you dnt know how to price then you will pick up other very good helpfull tips from this site so its in the newbies interest to stay with us, everyones a winner

if dougy has 2just started work as a plasterer" and hes got a loft conversion full of awkward shapes, hes probably best not pricing it

sorry for the lack of information, i can see now in hindsight why you guys were offended.
im 25 year old from the scottish borders been a plasterer since i was 18.was paid off from my company last november,couldnt find another job as alot of other people were paying men off aswell, started working with a plumber labouring for him, wasnt great money but it paid the bills and with too young kids too support would do anything especially as xmas was coming up, anyway the plumber couldnt guarantee me full time work + he is getting near retiring age so is meant to be winding down, so thats when i decided to give self employment a go.
in my 7 years i have done quite a bit of pricing doing night and weekend work for myself mostly for friends and have got every job ive priced. i usually worked out how long it would take me and done it by the hour.
my old workmate (who has been selfemployed for 20 years) who is helping me with this job told me what he charges a m2 . the reason i asked you guys was caus i didnt know if his rate 'was the going rate' but again in hindsight yous are right, i need to learn the hard way for myself. thanks for the replys.
ps i would like to become a regular poster and share my experiences, this is the first time ive used a forum

Meterage rates are what you want to earn times the amount of days devided by the amount of metres ......what price per meter did you're mate say anyway

no problem doug welcome to the forum:RpS_thumbup: even if we have alreadys given you a hard time, prices are quite a touchy subject for newbies but im glad you are sensible enough to realise this and not take offense, we mean no offense by what we say, but as i said we all have to look after our own interests.:RpS_wink:

Same as JR, no offense intended but the trades suffering due to people not understanding their job. Plus we get a lot of people coming on here asking prices then ******* off again.

Well Doug1986 i think we allworked out that you were Scottish and 25 it sort of gives it away where are you mate i have a mate in the borders and welcome

sorry for the lack of information, i can see now in hindsight why you guys were offended.
im 25 year old from the scottish borders been a plasterer since i was 18.was paid off from my company last november,couldnt find another job as alot of other people were paying men off aswell, started working with a plumber labouring for him, wasnt great money but it paid the bills and with too young kids too support would do anything especially as xmas was coming up, anyway the plumber couldnt guarantee me full time work + he is getting near retiring age so is meant to be winding down, so thats when i decided to give self employment a go.
in my 7 years i have done quite a bit of pricing doing night and weekend work for myself mostly for friends and have got every job ive priced. i usually worked out how long it would take me and done it by the hour.
my old workmate (who has been selfemployed for 20 years) who is helping me with this job told me what he charges a m2 . the reason i asked you guys was caus i didnt know if his rate 'was the going rate' but again in hindsight yous are right, i need to learn the hard way for myself. thanks for the replys.
ps i would like to become a regular poster and share my experiences, this is the first time ive used a forum

Welcome back mate glad you returned, this forum is very helpful the prices are..................only kiddin there is plenty of info just search but like whats been said work on a day rate for builders coz they will have your pants down on a price.

Nice to see your gonna stick around doug, you'll learn a thing or two off us tw*ts. Here's one to think about - you say you've got every job you've ever priced, that means you're not charging enough mate (and I'm not having a dig).........:RpS_thumbup:

leave all the high prices in fllynny good man. delete the cheap ones. tthe internet is the revolution.and delete this post sexy. **** the google surveyers

Status
Not open for further replies.