Skimming with a spongefloat??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all heard a few comments on hear about using a spongefloat on skimming.....Never seen this done, can anyone shed some light on this for me, is it quicker,better finish ect?

I used to sponge up 1 coat plaster (Snow Plast) or sponge on velvet slurry jointing work. Think this is a 1 coat thing?

I would say so, because when you're one coating finish you don't have enough time to get back over your work and make it respectable. The sponge gets loads of fat up that you can basically lay down with. The finish ends up a bit grainy though and softer.

Rubbish Danny I bet you've never tried it if you can't keep up with it you're slow
Lay a thicker coat on let it pick up trowel it wet it down sponge it take the sponge lines out scrape the excess of on you're hawk then trowel up
There's no fat if you catch it right it, should be thick enough if you've laid it on properly and if you catch it right it will look a lot better than a traditionally troweled finish

Rubbish Danny I bet you've never tried it if you can't keep up with it you're slow

Used to do it a lot of years ago and I aint slow by any means. I will try it your way soon Spunk and see how it turns out.

We used to put it on, let it pick up, sponge, close in then 1 wet trowel and a dry. Slightly different.

I think it's more to do with who's doing it 90 percent of the s**t work I see is 2 coat, makes me laugh when lads say 1 coats out of order and there working for 2 quid a metre ******* mugs

If the work is good thats fine, but adversely to what you have said 90% of the 1 coat work i have seen is rough....scrims showing, bad angles and the like.

As you say, it depends who has done it.

Remixing a nice big mix is the way forward me and abs are getting into it :RpS_thumbup:

I've done both, felt like it was more work with the sponge, suppose its down to your routine and what works for you. Always have the sponge handy tho, really good if you've been a bit enthusiastic/optimistic when deciding how much your gonna throw on!

I haven't one coated for months because Ive been working for people who are a bit anal, guaranteed though when we get back on it it makes me hate 2 coating

Which sponge float do you use Dave? Although I don't do it as a matter of course I will scour a wall if needed but use a float covered in carpet.

Like bod said refina andy don't like paying for them anymore though there fooking dear, we reckon the fine float worn in from a bit of outside work was best
Bod remember those welsh lads in Gloucester they were the schnizle, ******* bastards lol

Like bod said refina andy don't like paying for them anymore though there fooking dear, we reckon the fine float worn in from a bit of outside work was best
Bod remember those welsh lads in Gloucester they were the schnizle, ******* bastards lol
Yeah i know another welsh bloke who's the same mate his work is perfect.

No seriously Bod it's quite a short pile good quality carpet (hessian backed). As Spunky says if done correctly you don't leave any fat on the wall and the surface is just as hard/durable as any other. I don't flatten the wall like Spunky before floating it over, just let it pick up, float over, leave a little while then trowel off. Particularly useful on thick coated (around door frames) plasterboard walls.

why not use a skimming float instead

I just find the carpet float nicer to use Gary, dip it in the bucket and you don't need to flick water about either. Years ago we made our scouring floats out of chipboard which were more consistent than wooden ones.

never used one meself i will have to try it whats the best to use i take it shag pile is out the question ?

If you are going to do that as Spunky said, put it on a bit thicker why not just use one coat/ MP.

carpet does work but i feel the finer sponges are more suitable, but timing is everything. To soon and its pointless, to late and its nasty

An not used much one coat and when i have its blistered and looked twatfull so i tend to stay well away, suppose its all down to practice, but could i fook get the blisters out

see some good one coat work thay plastic float at the right time,but also seen some bad depending on thickness applied
.scrim showing n that depend on background aswhell plasterboard easy peasy

Haven't a clue why they happen, just trowel them out suppose or leave em **** it
I was hoping for something more constructive when i asked a question to the font of knowledge that is spunky..... oh well, just as well we have self level plaster i suppose..:RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.