skimming painted walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1

Hi i have just looked at a job that the guy wants a price to re skim two rooms inc ceilings the walls are painted i was going to roll them with bond it then skim is there anything i should watch out for ie paint not bonded to the wall strong enough .Any advice

i wa gona start a convo on this,

i got bathroom to do over existing skim which is painted was gonna water/pva it a few times, i know existing plaster drinks water but if its painted how does this affect things?, does it suck water as much or less?

cause technically emulsion has alot of water in it so the plaster would have drunk that water a bit :-/

u wanna watch out for flaky paint mate :eek:

i reckon if u gotta bathroom its gonna be silk paint?
well applied silk will act as a sort of seal, so a very wet quick pva should be all you need with the two combined...if it doesnt dry have it off again and go straight on the silk...unless its gloss then you got no suction at all...
bondit and board finish? i been told to use boardy on bondit cos it kills all the suction and boardy doesnt need suction...
to be honest, most matt painted walls will normally have 1 or two coats of pva and be fine with multi..always thin pva first though, let the wall suck some in...

well applied silk will act as a sort of seal, so a very wet quick pva should be all you need with the two combined...if it doesnt dry have it off again and go straight on the silk...unless its gloss then you got no suction at all...
bondit and board finish? i been told to use boardy on bondit cos it kills all the suction and boardy doesnt need suction...
to be honest, most matt painted walls will normally have 1 or two coats of pva and be fine with multi..always thin pva first though, let the wall suck some in...

no its emulsion, i done it myself :)

no its emulsion, i done it myself  :)

sorry i meant matt lol, its not silk

silk IS emulsion i.e. water based or mixed with water...
bathroom silk is a bit more water resistant, id treat that like gloss...
gloss is oil based and completely knackers the job up, total seal...
silk will suck to an quite some extent..depends on the paint, you can get away with skimming straight on silk, try a trowelfull one night just for an experiment and time it...if it aint solid after 20 mins youll be ok..

silk will suck to an quite some extent..depends on the paint, you can get away with skimming straight on silk, try a trowelfull one night just for an experiment and time it...if it aint solid after 20 mins youll be ok..

yeah i know silk is emulsion but its matt emulsion on the wall :)

o..in a bathroom??  :eek:
pva then.. :D

yeah it was only done few weeks bk, used matt cause the colour we wanted only is made in matt, it was only a temp thing cause family was visiting, didnt hav time to skim

have now though

what do you do with gloss never tackled it yet?

its either scratch the livin daylights out of it first with a devil float or if you like thistle bond it, use that then board finish..

Status
Not open for further replies.