Skimming over painted walls.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn86

I'm guessing this question has been asked many times, but even so I'm going to ask anyway.

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the best way to prepare my kitchen walls for skimming. I’ve inserted some pictures below.

DSC_0253[1].jpg DSC_0252.jpg

A friend of mine had exactly the same walls, and when the plasterer came he would PVA the wall before skimming over the top and it’s been fine, however, as my trade isn’t plastering I guess I’m looking for some reassurance as to whether the method mentioned would be OK, or do I need to do anything else?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

I'm guessing this question has been asked many times, but even so I'm going to ask anyway.

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the best way to prepare my kitchen walls for skimming. I’ve inserted some pictures below.

View attachment 3449View attachment 3450

A friend of mine had exactly the same walls, and when the plasterer came he would PVA the wall before skimming over the top and it’s been fine, however, as my trade isn’t plastering I guess I’m looking for some reassurance as to whether the method mentioned would be OK, or do I need to do anything else?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

I would pva then use bonding and then skim.

I would use a grit pva ,blue grit preferably on these walls, grit the day before, no need for banding,just skim as normal

Make sure no flaking paint or lose plaster, if paint sound I run my devil float with sharp screws over it to scratch through paint into plaster behind for a bit more key . Then pva n skim it.
or blue grit it n skim next morning.

i would spread jam over them first :RpS_thumbup:

I was given little book for Christmas many years ago called the greatest diy tips ever ( super pressie :thumbup: ) it states that if you run out of tile adhesive you can boil jam and use that wtf!!!

I was given little book for Christmas many years ago called the greatest diy tips ever ( super pressie :thumbup: ) it states that if you run out of tile adhesive you can boil jam and use that wtf!!!
jam is sticky as fook

Hi. I would agree that bluegrit the day before is the best bet in these circumstances if you dont ahve the time you can use pregrit. It says on the tub to leave for twenty four hours but we have used it this week and it was ready to skim over an hour lateer. It seems to be just PVA with aggregate in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.