Skimming over paint

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

Been reading through stuff on here regarding this and still cant really get to the bottom of this.

Ive been plastering 6 months now. The guy that taught me said it was fine to plaster over most paint as long as it wasnt too glossy.

The last couple of ceilings i have done however have been a nightmare..

The paint seems sound to the ceiling and i have prepped with PVA solution.

Skimming 2 coats and then rubbing it up to find the coat of paint underneath the plaster bubbles and starts coming away like butter. GUTTER

Any advice?

I have skimmed painted ceilings and this does not happen. Is there any ways to find out earlier if this is going to happen. Before I waste a days work

thanks

Try putting a hawk full on and leave it while you get some work done else where, if the same happens, i would recommend overboarding and set , its usually the best method rather than pva and set ,

Its a bugger when it happens we scrape off the best we can to a point when you say to yourself "that will do it" skim it up and when your troweling up you get patcheswhere the paints peeling away underneath.

Don't panic just cut it out an inch past the patch all the way around peel it off and then bed scrim onwhere its meets the cut part PVA and them skim with the extra bit of skim you had left in case this happened :)

some great advice as always thanks very much. Just knowing that it happens to everyone else is a comfort in itself :)

plastering on distemper or lime washed ceilings will fail. these ceilings must be overboarded.

didn say it was different.... either option is good, scraping off loose paint goes without saying .... and pva a must, i just said i also key with knife.

Guys, Knauf Ready mixed plaster can be applied directly to pianted surfaces, no PVA, scrape of loose stuff, repair cracks etc. and then apply the ready mixed plaster by hand for small areas or spray machine for larger areas.

Your really better of boarding it But when you have to Plaster over ceiling paint you should use thistle-bond not pva. pva will soften the paint and cause trouble. start by scraping the ceiling with an old trowel them Thistle bond, Leave for a day and skim.

Your really better of boarding it But when you have to Plaster over ceiling paint you should use thistle-bond not pva. pva will soften the paint and cause trouble. start by scraping the ceiling with an old trowel them Thistle bond, Leave for a day and skim.
problem is cost , if its one ceiling thats easy enough but a full house to board over walls and ceilings then they will not want to pay for it. lot of bodge it and leggit developers.. they want it nice to sell and they dont care how long it lasts..

It only usually happens with ceiling paint. Thistle-bond on walls is fine. Unless there are a lot of boards on the ceiling its still better to take the ceilings down and skim them for the sake of the cost of a few slabs.

We have had a few flats where all the paint had to,be scraped off ,its where painters painted without sealing by using a weak first coat, also the older properties are painted with distemper and its often the walls as well as the ceilings ,solid walls as well as stud walls.

Wickes bonding agent, great stuff , I always use it on artex, distemper or gloss/silk painted surfaces.just a shame it comes in a piddly little tub.

Yep, the product has been used in a number of refurb projects on listed buildings directly applied to painted surfaces, because the product has the binders in it already it has very good adhesion to the majority of backgrounds. It is also breathable so can be used on lime cement and plasters which the Heritage guys like. Give me a shout if you would like any additional information about the process. contact info on my profile.

Should have added, because the Ready Mixed plaster is not Gypsum based it behaves differently, and it is the polymers and organics binders that enables the product to perform in refurb situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.