Skimming over paint - advice please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewp

Hi,

I have a room which is painted with a vinyl silk sort of paint directly onto plaster. Anyway, on one wall I rubbed it all down to get rid of the shine and provide a key, sugar-soaped it and washed it clean, ready to re-skim it.

However, it was whilst it was wet that I noticed that the paint can be peeled off of the wall. Maybe it’s just the paint, maybe the plaster wasn’t sealed, etc.

Now I peeled off the paint off one wall, and it took fekking ages in places but come off quite easy in others. I don’t particularly want to peel it off the whole room if it’s not needed, but I’m worried about PVA and plaster wetting it up again and making it possibly come off the wall in the future.

Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

I thought about using WBA, but isn’t that just PVA with aggregate in it? Surely that would wet the paint still?

By the way, this is a DIY project in my own house.

Scrape the loose paint off and use wba or blue grit etc let it dry then skim it:RpS_thumbup:

Had this problem few months back, i got sanding pole out with a heavy grade paper to get loose bits off then glued and skimmed as usual. Noticed after first coat some areas had started to bubble so cut any out pva'd again and filled them in. Had no problems second coat and walls all fine. Either that or you peel all paint off.

I've had a job like that. Skimmed my sister's kitchen ceiling - noticed a bit of loose paint so scraped it and ended up peeling the whole ceiling off. It had had god knows how many coats (her other half is a decorater by trade). After I pva'd it twice the skim coat took in straight away and was a pain to trowel up. Several months later and it's ok (I was worried the skim coat would fall off!)

if it doesn't all peel off,pva(or watever)and skim wi 50/50 mix of bonding....let pick rite up then lay down wi tight coat of skim.
if you have time tho i would just use bondin,tight n flat...then nxt day pva n skim as normal....this has never failed me.

doesnt it not blister when ya trowel it up like it does if you skim on bonding too soon??

bonding plaster is a must for covering vinyl paints
So if you had a room to skim, and it was all vinyl paint, you would put bonding plaster over the lot before skimmin it?
Welcome to this mad place by the way:RpS_thumbup:

I would give the walls a coat of Pva 3-1 minimum as it shouldn't soak through the paint but sit on top,stabilising and forming a barrier.when Pva is set give another coat not as strong and skim.maybe try a small wall and leave it a day or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.