Skimming over lime plaster (internal wall)

foofi22

Hi
Just looking for advice before I get some plasterers round to take a look...

I've taken the wallpaper off a few internal walls and was planning to have them skimmed (with gypsum). However there is a lot of stuff on the net that says this is A Bad Thing, usually citing breathability and the fact it may crack.

Now I'm not bothered about breathability as these are internal walls, external walls are being lime plastered, but is skimming gypsum onto lime ok? (in general)

If not, is there an equivalent lime skim available?

Thanks

Hi
Just looking for advice before I get some plasterers round to take a look...

I've taken the wallpaper off a few internal walls and was planning to have them skimmed (with gypsum). However there is a lot of stuff on the net that says this is A Bad Thing, usually citing breathability and the fact it may crack.

Now I'm not bothered about breathability as these are internal walls, external walls are being lime plastered, but is skimming gypsum onto lime ok? (in general)

If not, is there an equivalent lime skim available?

Thanks
Try tarmac's limelite high impact finish plaster, they have a bonding agent similar to blue grit and a likes. It's a nice and creamy plaster, leaves a matt finish, don't over trowel it

Just bought a lime based house. Previous owner gypsum plastered it. It is DESTROYED. On the ground floor only use lime putty to skim. Lime will breath so it contains moisture. Gypsum is salt based so attracts water. The water in the lime will just get sucked into the gypsum and blow it. I have half a wall I just picked the gypsum skim off of. The skim was done only a year ago. I have a few walls in the house like this. Some of these walls are internal.

Now don't get me wrong. It could be fine 70% of the time but if you do lime with lime it should last for 50+ years and save money in the long run. Should be ok in the upper floors on non external walls. But should something leak the gypsum will blow and damage the background lime coat, the lime will take it.

Lots of more experienced here than me so they might know better. I have done a few lime houses for friends after a gypsum coat and the problems can occur anywhere.