Skimming over combed/fan artex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble

Will blue Grit do a job before skim as I have a spare tub? I've read WBA is good but I'm hoping not to pay out more than necessary.

Is the artex stable, will it peel, I would pva a patch first and see if it soaks in.sometimes its over lining paper too.

ssssssshhhhhhhhhh im winging it marra...........av not got a scooby doo........................:RpS_unsure:

to cover fan pattern i would pva, thistle bonding [which i would dose] , then skim. sometimes the skim will srink back on this pattern . showing the pattern through parts of the skim.

personally I would overboard artexed ceilings especially if half a dozen kids jumping on the floor above problem is you can seal it but the artexer might not have result on the floor . explain this to your client 9 out 10 get it overboarded safe not sorry

Thanks for all the replies guys, John do you mean the artex is on lining paper?
No, just one of the things I have found over the years, artex to skim over so I pva it, pva soaks in so I have to scrape it off,underneath is lining paper,so off that comes, took ten hrs for one ceiling..

Sounds like a pain this fan malarkey.

Scrape it, blue grit, good first coat, when it picks up flatten and another tight coat. Don't jump on it too soon, though, let it pick up enough or you'll be seeing the pattern bloom through at the end. Personally I'd go with a tight coat of bonding first to totally cover the pattern, though as with everything else on here, others will disagree. Plus you'd have to know when to go on it otherwise the whole ceiling will be blistered. Make sure you give a good scrape first, don't just go across the pattern, get the fingerline around the edges. :RpS_thumbup:

Im a fan of Trowel-float-trowel over artex......................:RpS_thumbup:

J.b Taylor ?

ner marra, its was a crusty old godger at college that showed me the ways of the TFT...................:RpS_thumbup:

since then av never looked back.......................unless somebody is trying to stick stuff up uz

:RpS_confused:...............you've lost me there jurek

Sorry, mate. Just saying everyone has an opinion. You look at it and you know what you're gonna do. You know whether it's going suck in, whether it's going to hang, whether it just needs PVA, or WBA, whether it needs bonding out, whether it needs boarding etc. etc. But you're right, that would be the proper way .... :RpS_thumbup:

F**k me, I need to chill out... I'm turnin' in

Get yourself down to the marble section jurek . ..exotic words and calming pics on show... chill out zone.:RpS_thumbsup:

I can see why plasterers have problems here, they need to test before the plaster over artex, don't scrape private jobs as you can be releasing asbestos and hse will jump all over you..

Sorry, mate. Just saying everyone has an opinion. You look at it and you know what you're gonna do. You know whether it's going suck in, whether it's going to hang, whether it just needs PVA, or WBA, whether it needs bonding out, whether it needs boarding etc. etc. But you're right, that would be the proper way .... :RpS_thumbup:

F**k me, I need to chill out... I'm turnin' in

same way I look at the missus on a friday night

I always used 2 trowel, float, trowel then dropped back to various other methods. Did a trowel, float , trowel the other, takes much longer, but the finnish is mint.Depends on the job as there all different, and obvious if the money is there.
I do mostly as Four plastering mentioned above now,mainly cos we did on togther that way and it came out mint as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.