skimming over builders boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobspread

Priced a job 3 weeks ago , good size extension builder said give us a price to board and skim and a price just to skim,i said i'd sooner you board because i'm busy at the moment but i make sure you're its tidy ,he said dabbing is a piece of piss it'll be nice and straight.....what's this then

poor

Attachments

• WP_20151120_13_18_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151120_13_18_34_Pro.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 577
I've been caught out a few times. Show him the issues and explain why it's gonna cost him to put right and make him pay through the nose!

I've been caught out a few times. Show him the issues and explain why it's gonna cost him to put right and make him pay through the nose!
Most expect u to sort it as part of skimming price though.they take the boarding on and take the money and don't give a s**t.

You explain you need a day to bond out his f**k ups. If he doesn't want to pay bin him. If you can't afford to lose the work you gotta suck it up and fix it at your cost and chalk it up to experience.

As soon as someone says they have or will do the boarding it has to be day work with a bit on top to cover all the agg of putting it right.

I'm saying f**k all ,i'm just gunna skim it mate!
Looks like Dom littlewood will be paying ur builder a visit soon..ye just skim it we've done it time and time again some1 else has boarded etc and its s**t and we've brought it up and all we've got is a dirty look and asked to put it right without getting any extra cash dabbing is a piece of piss IF your a plasterer does my nut in wen builders/other trades think dabbing is easy as it isn't if you don't know wat ur doing

The easiest way around it is to to what I do.

Put in your quotes that you do not guarantee any work over anybody else's boarding be it a builder or customer, only your own or lads that work for you.

I don't guarantee any re-skims either.

Did a last minute job for a joiner on Thursday a 25m2 ceiling which I hadn't seen, got there and the boards were not staggered nor were they running opposite to the joists, I explained he reply crack on.

I started putting on and it was flashing on me, skinning up after about 2/3 mins, I got the guy back and asked him how long it had been boarded he replied 18months.

It looked s**t after and will probably crack in about 2 weeks. His problem, not mine

The easiest way around it is to to what I do.

Put in your quotes that you do not guarantee any work over anybody else's boarding be it a builder or customer, only your own or lads that work for you.

I don't guarantee any re-skims either.

Did a last minute job for a joiner on Thursday a 25m2 ceiling which I hadn't seen, got there and the boards were not staggered nor were they running opposite to the joists, I explained he reply crack on.

I started putting on and it was flashing on me, skinning up after about 2/3 mins, I got the guy back and asked him how long it had been boarded he replied 18months.

It looked s**t after and will probably crack in about 2 weeks. His problem, not mine
That sounds shocking my grandma knows u stagger and go opposite way to joists

Bought a bag of bonding today and sorted it out,i couldn't bring meself just to skim it as it was,builder turned up later after it was skimmed,said to him you owe me for a bag of bonding,why he said ,told him why then showed him the photo,gave me a tenner and didn't offer him any change

The place i used to work for it was the plasters problem not the builders either do the job or get in your van and you woouldnt get paid for any of the work you had done they were brutal. They did me for £1200

We skimmed a big sitting room that was newly built onto a house yesterday.The slabbing was done by the owner a carpenter who was the owner of the house.When I priced it I told him to get one bag of skimcoat for every three slabs,and also explained that skimming is 2 to 3 mm as it says on the bags and if the slabbing was'nt bang on I'd be charging him more.Anyway some of the slabbing was shite so he was sent off for bonding.The job was done and got a few pound extra for it.Another important thing I learned the hard way was make it clear the heat has to be turned off when I'm plastering in an inhabited house.

Status
Not open for further replies.