Skimming on top SBR

Members online

roryston

Sorry i know its been covered a million times lads but...

I have 200 litres of the stuff (if anyone local to Bristol wants any I get 25L of Feb SBR for £25)

And I'm currently doing a skimming job, on top of old black mortar and white plastered walls. Ive had a nightmare with pva lately on a couple of over skimms on a different job and I'm slowly loosing faith in it especially on the old old houses I seem to be skimming as of late.

I'm not really all into that blue grit stuff just yet, I really dont like the stuff but may end up using it if I cant get the sbr to behave....

How do you lads get on with laying on it? All I use it for is rendering jobs and its a pleasure to lay on top of but that's a complete different ball game.

Do you lads lay on it when tacky or fully dry or what ? How do find it through the troweling process etc?

Cheers

Can someone explain to me why your using SBR as a primer for skimming? I've been on one lads job who was using it on his sand and cement floating to slow the setting down and that made me laugh, so why use it, is this what it's designed for?

I used that micro 3000 after conflab with @Marshy and @jamesthefirst , was beauty to use that was, I never skimmed over the sbr , gyprime is wicked for all overskim and hard to beat imo but is crazy money even I admit that, i chop and change what I use all the time tbh, agree some pva is shite ,let us know how you get on

Can someone explain to me why your using SBR as a primer for skimming? I've been on one lads job who was using it on his sand and cement floating to slow the setting down and that made me laugh, so why use it, is this what it's designed for?

I've used it when that's all I've had on the van works a treat

I've used it when that's all I've had on the van works a treat
Oh I know people use it I've mentioned that but as a primer on a reskim? I seen a kid use it the other week coz that's all that was there and he didn't give a f**k coz it wasn't his job so what's it for really? I know it's for damp but why use it for reskims, I actually said to the kid you might as well used the milk coz that's there also.

I only use bond it pre grit, its expensive but goes far and controls the suction on any wall the same.

Oh I know people use it I've mentioned that but as a primer on a reskim? I seen a kid use it the other week coz that's all that was there and he didn't give a f**k coz it wasn't his job so what's it for really? I know it's for damp but why use it for reskims, I actually said to the kid you might as well used the milk coz that's there also.

It's still can be used as a primer, just mix the same as with pva

A bg rep I know is pushing the gyprime as an alternative to pva and try and hit it when tacky. It's expensive but can be watered down and goes a long way but I prefer micro as it has a small grit and goes miles dries quickly.

Sorry i know its been covered a million times lads but...

I have 200 litres of the stuff (if anyone local to Bristol wants any I get 25L of Feb SBR for £25)

And I'm currently doing a skimming job, on top of old black mortar and white plastered walls. Ive had a nightmare with pva lately on a couple of over skimms on a different job and I'm slowly loosing faith in it especially on the old old houses I seem to be skimming as of late.

I'm not really all into that blue grit stuff just yet, I really dont like the stuff but may end up using it if I cant get the sbr to behave....

How do you lads get on with laying on it? All I use it for is rendering jobs and its a pleasure to lay on top of but that's a complete different ball game.

Do you lads lay on it when tacky or fully dry or what ? How do find it through the troweling process etc?

Cheers
I've skimmed over sbr, over painted surfaces as well, not ideal really found it blistered the skim. Wouldn't be in a rush to do it again. I prefer pva or blue grit but this micro stuff sounds decent

I've skimmed over sbr, over painted surfaces as well, not ideal really found it blistered the skim. Wouldn't be in a rush to do it again. I prefer pva or blue grit but this micro stuff sounds decent

It does have an odour but most don't notice just get the odd comment. My farts can be a detour though. :loco:

If you use bondit you will like micro mate. :)
I've used the micro once coz @beddy swore by it, it's all I had on the van and it worked. Got some of that new stuff might try it on my next job. Got some work for a bloke who has just bought a paint sprayer which is decent, so was thinking if airless would go through it, then thought he might get his lads to do the rest so I will see lol

A bg rep I know is pushing the gyprime as an alternative to pva and try and hit it when tacky. It's expensive but can be watered down and goes a long way but I prefer micro as it has a small grit and goes miles dries quickly.

What exactly is micro mate? How is it applied etc?

What exactly is micro mate? How is it applied etc?

Microgobetis 3000 a red 20kg tub of fine grit which can be watered down for high suction by around 15-20%
It's used on external walls for rendering as it's main use.
I use a brush to apply it then after 2 to 4 hours you can skim.

Sbr is a brilliant primer, it doesn't 're emulsify when wet either. Used it once to go over old k rent on an extension. It sticks alright but I find pva better ...... just not that screwfix no nonsense stuff that just slid around all the way through the set, it isn't quite as white as normal pcs though more like spunk so if it ain't thick and white- it ain't getting used

I've used the micro once coz @beddy swore by it, it's all I had on the van and it worked. Got some of that new stuff might try it on my next job. Got some work for a bloke who has just bought a paint sprayer which is decent, so was thinking if airless would go through it, then thought he might get his lads to do the rest so I will see lol

Yes it can be sprayed, I use a brush as a rule on artex and anything else as I don't like a roller for it. I use a roller for pva though.

Gyprime is crap being sprayed on reskim, goes everywhere and ended up brushing it , to expensive but better than bond it

Good old fashioned PVA from Wickes.
Use SBR in emergencies but just dont trust it for some reason.
And FOOOK going to a job the night before to blue grit or whatever...kinell i do have some kind of a life!

I love sbr and use it a lot for render. As it's waterproof I guess it doesn't re-emulsify like pva. If you put it on and it fully dried and then you skim onto it, would it bond as it wouldn't be re-emulsifying like it would with dry pva.?

I love sbr and use it a lot for render. As it's waterproof I guess it doesn't re-emulsify like pva. If you put it on and it fully dried and then you skim onto it, would it bond as it wouldn't be re-emulsifying like it would with dry pva.?

Your not supposed to skim on dry pva

No idea about it's use with gypsum/plaster, but it's just latex. In mortar it reduces setting time and makes the mortar much harder without making it more brittle. If you mix up a very wet mortar and bung a load of SBR in it, it's levelling compound.

No idea about it's use with gypsum/plaster, but it's just latex. In mortar it reduces setting time and makes the mortar much harder without making it more brittle. If you mix up a very wet mortar and bung a load of SBR in it, it's levelling compound.

Interesting...Thanks

Yup sika latex I used in pool few years back that was then being painted . Still good now.
I also make my own slurry with it adding sand and cement works great.

24 years of experience tells me otherwise

Hey man just stating what it say on the product, not saying it can't be done, or that I've never done it, but when I re emulsify my roller that I forgot to clean its goes soft but it's not sticky. I'm actually curious as to is there a window between dried and cured? Or not matter? How many of you lot actually do it? But if you try this with sbr I'm certain would be silly.