Skimming nightmare

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spt. Of course PVA is used as a bonding agent it even says so on the tub. I prefer wba over pva everytime but its not always ideal.

Fair enough flynny doesn't understand he might just wet the Walls down what would you do Steven

Fair enough flynny doesn't understand he might just wet the Walls down what would you do Steven
LOL only kiddin mate and i agree with you Nothin wrong with PVA ive used it for a long time and used the NEW bonding agents once or twice its like they are trying to fix a problem that isnt really broke. I always give it one coat to kill the suction then another and skim when tacky but lately i have done two coats and skimmed when its not tacky and never had any come backs.

I've never seen it fail I always try and skim it tacky but I've never heard of it falling off? I hate skimming gyp bond it's my new pet hate lol why bother.....over to you Steve :)

Paint some pva on the bottom of a clean black bucket, let it dry completely, then pour some water in the bucket and wait for 5, or 10 min.............It will go wet again, you will see it turn white. Reskims work wheather the pva is tacky or dry.

Paint some pva on the bottom of a clean black bucket, let it dry completely, then pour some water in the bucket and wait for 5, or 10 min.............It will go wet again, you will see it turn white. Reskims work wheather the pva is tacky or dry.

bottom of bucket painted! water in bucket! do I make a hole in the bucket bejasus or will the water soak through

and ive only got an orange bucket

Last edited:
I would use pva in that case spunky. 2 coats, one to control the suction and another to bond the plaster to the wall. Don't get me wrong I've never had a problem with pva but I like going into a room, wba'ing it then being able to just walk in the next day and skim it. It gives an even suction and its nice to skim on. Plus you can get a few more m2 on because it hangs that little bit longer.Will that answer suffice?

Not that I do this type of work but I would imagine where you live and work would make a massive difference to whether you want to use PVA or Blue Grit/WBA/Betakontact etc.

Live in large town/city = jobs nice and local = pop in day before and prep.
Live in more rural area = more distance between jobs/home = get in and out in one day.

put ya sheets down paint it on then go get the rest of ya gear in and get ready for mixing 99.9% of the time its ready for skimming

ive skimmed on it all different times some we dry some when tacky, shiney paints i use wba though hate it wen it starts slideing only had it happen once never want to go through it again.
pva controls suction and gives a checmical key thus helping with the bond

pat on the back warrior and gibbo thanks lads!! it was down to the gas heaters. causing vapour swapped the gas heaters for some eletric dry heaters sorted it right out. something to keep in mind for the future. nice one fellas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.