Skimming lottery!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
FFS on site this morning weeding through the shitty bags left over at the bottom of the pile, pick 4 out and start knocking them up, about 1/4 way through a big old window wall with 3 big reveals and my arms aching already and the mix is flying in!! Ragging I start throwing it on in a fit of rage!!

Get to the end and turns back to speedskim... And it's fckin rock hard already :'(, knock a second coat up pissy, throw that on and that goes also!!

It's a case of damage control now so work flat out to get a half decent finish on the face and 1 set of reveals..

11O'clock in the morning and I'm fcked!! Butty and reskim this afternoon!!!

:RpS_cursing: All this sh*te on a fckin Friday!!!!

Did some chasing for a lad years ago, he had a bag of skim for me to use - didn't check the use but date... Mixed quarter of a black bucket with a cordless drill and a small whisk - fecking stuff was rock hard 2 minutes after mixing it!

i threw on a bedroom this afternoon and it pulled like a train, still got a good finish but i had al this wet stuff comeing out me head by the end of it:RpS_cursing:

I think you just need to see how its going as you put it on, very fast means smaller hits, not banging on three bags regardless. Experience teaches us all

i only had one hit to get this bedroom done with so i had no choice really

once did some patching few years ago , mixed bonding up turned round to wash mixer pick handboard and trowel up went to get some bonding out of bucket , set rock hard, never got a chance to put some on, said to customer how long you had this plaster ,2 years he said sitting in garage, is it no good he said.

I think you just need to see how its going as you put it on, very fast means smaller hits, not banging on three bags regardless. Experience teaches us all

Was 1 wall about 12 2.7s, defo wasn't the weather as its not 28oC in sunny southport! What a shat day!! Oh well full weekend off!! Awesomeness!!

on the plus side I'm jumping on the internal render Monday :RpS_laugh: reckon I should warn the other spread?? :RpS_lol:

Last edited:
once did some patching few years ago , mixed bonding up turned round to wash mixer pick handboard and trowel up went to get some bonding out of bucket , set rock hard, never got a chance to put some on, said to customer how long you had this plaster ,2 years he said sitting in garage, is it no good he said.

Bonding is by far the worst for it I've had that many of times, that fast don't even get chance to put it on the hand board!!

I too have fought the good fight today and also had to get it done in big'ish hits cos job was 80 mile round trip and all i would like to say is "I FOOK'N HATE PLASTERING" and so do my aching shoulder and back.:-(

I too have fought the good fight today and also had to get it done in big'ish hits cos job was 80 mile round trip and all i would like to say is "I FOOK'N HATE PLASTERING" and so do my aching shoulder and back.:-(

ManUp_Feature.jpg

Skimming sucks balls big time!! There was a point today that I just think what's the fckin point!!

i got in at 8 today as my mate builder needed me to do some patching on a stairwell, couldn't get in till after 6pm though, so after that wank day I had to stop till 6 to start another!! I need to learn how to say 'NO' even to great money, my body should come first!!

all I can say is thank fck it's Friday!! A whole weekend off...zzzzzz...

We've been on the grey bonding for years 'oop north' - sets fine for me (with a couple of scoops of finish added) :RpS_thumbup:

back in the day we had a labourer who was a bit thick. he mixed up a bath full of bonding and it was bob on. 20 minutes later in his infinate wisdom he reckoned it neede loosening up a bit so added some water. chuffed as feck with his work until he tried to remove his shovel from his 30 pound bonding brick that had formed in the bath. oh how we laughed.

back in the day we had a labourer who was a bit thick. he mixed up a bath full of bonding and it was bob on. 20 minutes later in his infinate wisdom he reckoned it neede loosening up a bit so added some water. chuffed as feck with his work until he tried to remove his shovel from his 30 pound bonding brick that had formed in the bath. oh how we laughed.

Carlite Bonding was really sticky shite when I started in the mid 80s!

I would chuck a hundred weight bag of the stuff in the tin bath & it would stick to the shovel like toffee.
It was totally different stuff back then, full of vermiculite & would set on everything that wasn't washed out in 10 minutes.

I even recall sticking boards on with it on the odd occasion as there didn't seem to be any dabbing compound then?

who remembers the old 50kg finish bags having "Not to be used as a dry lining adhesive" written on them?

I had some grey Carlite Bonding that went on at 8am & I wrote my name in it at 4pm

we purchase our bonding on the day we are going to use it, check the use by date, then dose it up so that it sets quickly, then turn back and set, easy day!

Carlite Bonding was really sticky shite when I started in the mid 80s!

who remembers the old 50kg finish bags having "Not to be used as a dry lining adhesive" written on them?

i remember when it was first introduced in 1964.

Status
Not open for further replies.