Skimming gone wrong! Any clues why?

Barbury

Hi, Wondering if you can help me. I have attached some photographs of a job completed recently.

One person is telling me that it is poor workmanship and one person is telling me that it is a result of a reaction to either
a) the damp and cold conditions when the skimming was done (November/December last year),
b) the blue grit not having sufficient time to cure,
c) a reaction with the existing wallpaper paste or existing plaster.

The property and all the wallpaper stripped back blue grit applied and was then just skimmed hoping for a nice smooth finish. As you will see on the ceiling the skimming is bubbling for some reason and the walls look to have ‘slumped’

Some of the walls were very damp when skimmed on the blue grit could be just wiped off with your fingers.

Ideas on what has gone wrong?

Cheers
IMG_9884.JPEG
IMG_9887.JPEG
IMG_9889.JPEG
IMG_9891.JPEG
ceiling.jpeg

Decorator will get that
Anyway, on a positive note top quality joinery btw where that stair string moulding continues into the skirting board. They don’t make houses like they used to - some things bad somethings good - but that moulding is rare as ought

Last edited:
Hi, Wondering if you can help me. I have attached some photographs of a job completed recently.

One person is telling me that it is poor workmanship and one person is telling me that it is a result of a reaction to either
a) the damp and cold conditions when the skimming was done (November/December last year),
b) the blue grit not having sufficient time to cure,
c) a reaction with the existing wallpaper paste or existing plaster.

The property and all the wallpaper stripped back blue grit applied and was then just skimmed hoping for a nice smooth finish. As you will see on the ceiling the skimming is bubbling for some reason and the walls look to have ‘slumped’

Some of the walls were very damp when skimmed on the blue grit could be just wiped off with your fingers.

Ideas on what has gone wrong?

Cheers
View attachment 71136View attachment 71137View attachment 71138View attachment 71139View attachment 71140
Please don’t take offence but I think you’ve done it yourself and that’s why it’s shite!
Any competent plasterer wouldn’t have plastered over wet blue grit and would’ve put a heater on.

Please don’t take offence but I think you’ve done it yourself and that’s why it’s shite!
Any competent plasterer wouldn’t have plastered over wet blue grit and would’ve put a heater on.
No offence taken. Never tried plastering myself and not thinking of any time soon.