Skimming disaster!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab

Hi everyone, love the forum, was going to join a couple of nights ago but I missed the 24 hour activation thing. I hate to introduce myself with an appeal for help but needs must :'(

I've just started plastering, skimmed 3 walls (just 1 at a time) and my work has been getting better with each wall.

Tonight however, I was confident enough to tackle a heavily artexed ceiling. Made my mix up and started, only to realise half way through, I wasnt gonna have enough to finish the first coat, never mind the second (about 9pm so b&q were shut). So I have just over 3/4 of the first coat dryoing just now. I just didn't realise how much plaster I was needing as the 3 walls I did were over very thinly laid artex.

Is there any way I can save this ceiling as it's gonna break my heart to take it off :-/

If there is no way of saving it, anyone know of a way to take it off without a hammer and chisel :)

Any hints greatly appreciated and I know it's probably rule no1: Make sure you have enough plaster!

Rab

right, yes there is, just skim the bit you ran out on and then feather it as best you can....

then allow it to dry say a week then give it 2 coats of PVA then do a 2 coat skim again this should make it look a lot better.

when feathering use a brush.

Good luck and remember next time width x height = m2 / 9 will give you how many bags!!

Danny

PS welcome to the forum

Hello Rab!!

Always best to work out how much materials you need for a job! As Danny has said; width x height = m2 then divide by 9. Sorted!

Craig

Thanks for that one guys, that equation is news to me :p Just been judging it by eye and ending up wasting lots up to now.

I've got all the gear and no idea ;)

hiya rab, i think danny got it dead right. if ever you have too take plaster or artex off in the future the best,easiest and cleanist way of doin it i think is with a decorators steamer and ur plasterers trowel, just leave the steamer on it for a while which will soften it like melted butter and then just smooth it or remove it, do any tapin u need to, unibond it and away you go...

Status
Not open for further replies.