Skimming bonding next day

Members online

2 halftime to a bag of bonding is good for patching, ready to skim in half an hour, get about 15 -20 minutes then it flash sets. Don't know if that works out cheaper or more expensive than bonding 60 as not seen it anywhere yet

The 60 £11.43 - 10% Wickes

A8B0595F-EA88-4F7A-A7CF-C796AD0CFBDE.gif

@Andy g....... grafting!

The bus companys are always looking for new recruits, or get on the taxi's like every other c**t thats failed at life !

There are plasterers I know that just keep to a certain type of market in plastering. Andy may well have not used that much of bonding and most if not all of my recent lads certainly have not used it.

I think he has tried applying bonding to too wet a pva and if he has then he has no chance. Maybe give him some advice rather than slating him. This old thread is a spread asking for advice like many others do, help him.

Bonding is s**t to float with .Ok for patching and going over boards . But no one stocks hard wall anymore and if you only want a few bags you are out of luck. They have improved bonding in the last couple of years but it is still shocking for floating with at a decent thickness. As for skimming ,a couple of coat of piss weak PVA the next day should kill any excessive suction .

There are plasterers I know that just keep to a certain type of market in plastering. Andy may well have not used that much of bonding and most if not all of my recent lads certainly have not used it.

I think he has tried applying bonding to too wet a pva and if he has then he has no chance. Maybe give him some advice rather than slating him. This old thread is a spread asking for advice like many others do, help him.

hows Rigsby doing this morning (y)

Bonding is s**t to float with .Ok for patching and going over boards . But no one stocks hard wall anymore and if you only want a few bags you are out of luck. They have improved bonding in the last couple of years but it is still shocking for floating with at a decent thickness. As for skimming ,a couple of coat of piss weak PVA the next day should kill any excessive suction .
Everywhere stocks hardwall were you live outer Hebrides?

Everywhere stocks hardwall were you live outer Hebrides?
Not aroundby me they don't . Merchants say no one wants it so if they stock it it just goes out of date . Yes you can bulk order but if like me and you only do small jobs that ma may only want a few bags that's no good .

I had to do a staircase of 6 storeys in 1977. Concrete underside of stairs and the walls. Horrible stuff to use but at 19 was fortunate to be with a gang who had more experience with the stuff. Back then most spreads used 150mm wide emulsion brushes to clean their tools off with and bonding vermiculite caused them to swell.

Couldn’t win with skimming the stuff. Same day and it blebbed. Next day had initial suction then it seemed to throw the water back. Took some elbow work to trowel out the air bubbles just as the setting colour went from pink to brown.

On my own jobs I scratch coated with bonding then floated over with browning, more manageable.

I was thinking about this problem Andy G had and I recall a similar. In winter I pva’d a painted ceiling to skim and 3 hours later it was still wet. That was a bugger to skim, just slid all over the place. s**t happens. All a learning curve.

I had to do a staircase of 6 storeys in 1977. Concrete underside of stairs and the walls. Horrible stuff to use but at 19 was fortunate to be with a gang who had more experience with the stuff. Back then most spreads used 150mm wide emulsion brushes to clean their tools off with and bonding vermiculite caused them to swell.

Couldn’t win with skimming the stuff. Same day and it blebbed. Next day had initial suction then it seemed to throw the water back. Took some elbow work to trowel out the air bubbles just as the setting colour went from pink to brown.

On my own jobs I scratch coated with bonding then floated over with browning, more manageable.

I was thinking about this problem Andy G had and I recall a similar. In winter I pva’d a painted ceiling to skim and 3 hours later it was still wet. That was a bugger to skim, just slid all over the place. s**t happens. All a learning curve.
Your brushes were always ruined if left in the dirty dirty water lol. The vermiculite has got smaller now and it seems BG have tried to make a product to replace Browning but with the properties of bonding . Sand and cement is still king for floating with imo but again for small jobs is not always ideal.

Fair point. Will try and not be such a c**t .

Had this other day, friend said brush it with soft broom, believe it or not it worked, no more sliding

I started Plastering in 1972 and my boss said the browning of the day was different to the newly marketed Gypsum browning of the late 50’s early 60’s. He said the original was stickier.

Sand and cement for me as its cleaner but not skimable same day although it would have to be the modern bagged ocr gear, less work on the joints.

Good to hear the vermiculite is smaller.