Skimming advice

simmons84

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi all,

I'm redoing our little toilet which was tiled, having removed the tiles I'm left with quite a mess underneath, any suggestions on the best way to prep these walls for skimming? Tia

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 402
Hack back the adhesive as much as you can then bond it out then skim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hack back the adhesive as much as you can then bond it out then skim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I was thinking about bonding out the bad bits then skimming over the rest, got a steamer on the adhesive atm which seams to be doing a great job without blowing the plaster underneath

Lol doh.. I meant what's easier to use? But then I might just board it for an easier life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If ur boarding it u don't need to mess about and waste time in getting the adesive off If its solid..its a waste of time just give any high points a quick scrape so there flat if ur going down bonding route then carry on..are u re tiling it or painting? If tiling again dot out in moisture boards then tile straight on them no skimming needed if painting then just use plain boards..

Just get loose bits off then no need at all to be getting steamer on adesive if its solid..just crack on with dotting it

Could you post up pictures when you have done the boarding?
Or brownies or bonding?
With or without the dabs steamed off
Thanks Vince

P.s we always recommend remove the toilet to make work easier...unless there isn't another one in the house to use or a neighbours we could borrow.

Off into metalling nxt couple of months wen finally finished this fooking hotel..cnt wait as wont need to skim for months..skimming is the least part of plastering I like these days give me boarding any day..

Could you post up pictures when you have done the boarding?
Or brownies or bonding?
With or without the dabs steamed off
Thanks Vince

P.s we always recommend remove the toilet to make work easier...unless there isn't another one in the house to use or a neighbours we could borrow.

The Mrs wants the toilet left in as long as possible but I can work round that anyway, but will deafinetly post pics up once it's boarded. Gives you chance to take the piss out of something ay lol

The Mrs wants the toilet left in as long as possible but I can work round that anyway, but will deafinetly post pics up once it's boarded. Gives you chance to take the piss out of something ay lol
Just makes it easier to get down the sides and back of it then the new toilet can be fitted nice and flush to the nice newly painted walls..i would send my Mrs away and do the work while she is away for a weekend..board and skim next Saturday and paint and put toilet back in on the Sunday..job done

Just makes it easier to get down the sides and back of it then the new toilet can be fitted nice and flush to the nice newly painted walls..i would send my Mrs away and do the work while she is away for a weekend..board and skim next Saturday and paint and put toilet back in on the Sunday..job done

I understand where your coming from, it will be out by the time I come to board it anyway, hoping to get it boarded tomorrow providing I can get the plasterboard back here!

It's easy enough to take the toilet out and replace it each day. It'll look shite if you try to skim round fittings.

Just set fire to the place claim on insurance and happy days (y)
I'm not gonna skim round the fittings.. f**k that.. Was just leaving the toilet in place until I was ready to board and skim.. Changing to toilet anyway so it's gotta come out at some point.. Just trying to keep the other half happy in the whole process

Would agree with kitchy but seeing as you started with the steamer then i would remove the rest of the tile adhesive, apply a decent thick skim with two coats but leave around 45 mins to one hour between as you want to get a paintable finish for some of the wall which wont be tiled. Oh yes you should put a decent pva mix on walls first say@ 5/1 and let dry first.

Most reskims I bond them out... should have been a damn engineer... on the constant search for perfection

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Would agree with kitchy but seeing as you started with the steamer then i would remove the rest of the tile adhesive, apply a decent thick skim with two coats but leave around 45 mins to one hour between as you want to get a paintable finish for some of the wall which wont be tiled. Oh yes you should put a decent pva mix on walls first say@ 5/1 and let dry first.
I'm just going to board the whole thing out then skim the board, will make things a hell of a lot easier