Skim failed on ceiling what now help please!

rustyjaz

Hi guys, I skimmed a painted ceiling and questioned if there was enough suction. The walls are glossy ish but. The ceiling seemed not too bad. Anyways, I used Wba on walls and just 2 coats pva as normal on ceiling. Walls are fine but the ceiling has blown.

I 've chipped all skim off- used a steamer and came fairly off easily once hot. My question now is what do I do? Just use Wba or bond it? Do I need to clean the residue with sugar soap? It's left some stained pva with multi so looks patchy brown.

I'm not a professional by any means but have been doing my own for many years. Cheers guys help appreciated

Attachments

• 15094020725581520324824.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 590
Hmmmm

Overboard is a failsafe way to be honest to be sure... or you could WBA it... but I would overboard it as I cant be arsed to re do jobs

Hi guys, I skimmed a painted ceiling and questioned if there was enough suction. The walls are glossy ish but. The ceiling seemed not too bad. Anyways, I used Wba on walls and just 2 coats pva as normal on ceiling. Walls are fine but the ceiling has blown.

I 've chipped all skim off- used a steamer and came fairly off easily once hot. My question now is what do I do? Just use Wba or bond it? Do I need to clean the residue with sugar soap? It's left some stained pva with multi so looks patchy brown.

I'm not a professional by any means but have been doing my own for many years. Cheers guys help appreciated
That’s a terrible looking sight get someone that knows what there doing,and pay them well.

Cheers for reply guys, I won't be getting someone in, I have been plastering for a long time and never had anything like this happen. I'm looking for constructive advice so I can rectify my mistake. I have learnt not to take risks and next time on glossy surface will use wba or similar. I have scraped all old plaster off so I would like to skim again rather than overboard. But how 'good' is wba, do you need to clean prior or can I just roll on? The crack I will scrim prior to skim,do you think that's alright?

If at first you don’t succeed.........
Perfect prep prevents piss poor performance........
Or.......overboard.
Ta-dah.

Nexxxt!

Marshy.... That's not my skim finish. That's after the skim has been scrapped off. It was smooth as a babies behind but had blown. The pic is just residue/remnants of skim, there are no lumps there it's just stained really but it does clean of with a bit of scrubbing . I now would like constructive advice. I am not a professional but my finish is good. But I have never had to skim glossy surfaces which was my downfall. Do I need to scrub the remaining stained bits or could I just wba it? Like I said I would like to not have to overboard. Cheers

Just turned down a job to skim over old artex ceiling , didn’t like the look of the artex and wanted to overboard but the guy wanted to do it on a budget so I swiftly ruled myself out of the job. Too ignorant to take on my advice but no doubt happy to complain when it doesn’t go to plan.

OK cheers guys, I will will overboard it. Thanks you for all the constructive advice. I just don't enjoy boarding ceilings. What size do you guys use on ceilings if on your own? Thanks again in advance

I hire a board lifter for £25. Bugger struggling these days although carrying 8x4 ain't getting any easier

Knauf 6*3 12.5mm are only 12,kg each. Nice and easy

The advice to overboard, whilst not what you wanted to hear, was sincere, just covered in banter.
Find the joists.
Put a good few screws into the existing ceiling, so the extra weight doesn’t pull it down.
Use 900x 1800 9.5mm boards, as they are lightish.
Use longer screws so you get a good fix for the overboard.
Plaster as you do normally.

I think he just wants to insert various fruit and vegetables up his anus for the harvest festival?

Marshy.... That's not my skim finish. That's after the skim has been scrapped off. It was smooth as a babies behind but had blown. The pic is just residue/remnants of skim, there are no lumps there it's just stained really but it does clean of with a bit of scrubbing . I now would like constructive advice. I am not a professional but my finish is good. But I have never had to skim glossy surfaces which was my downfall. Do I need to scrub the remaining stained bits or could I just wba it? Like I said I would like to not have to overboard. Cheers
Ok mate I forgive you

I really don’t understand why people don’t want to overboard. Over boarding is a fail safe method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t understand why people don’t want to overboard. Over boarding is a fail safe method.

It’s the best option as well imo and eliminates any problem that you might face

Some people won’t spend the money,they can’t grasp the point you’ve just made: