Skeiling advice (with picture)

Staff online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble

Got this big ceiling to skim and a very fussy customer. The top of the skeiling is to be curved onto the lid so no probs but he wants the line where the skeiling meets the wall to be angled dead straight. Would you guys set a stop bead on straight before skimming?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,267
No stop bead, skim to one side of the angle first ,keep this straight as possible ,with an edge / spat, if the line is very twisted use bonding to create a clean splay angle and then skim,then skim second part of splay

Did he tell the joiner to get the timber studs straight! You can use a 3mm stopbead but that just follows the plasterboard, you need to bond the angles and use a featheredge to straighten them out

Its the one instance where id skim the wall first. It looks straight enough speedskim/spat/ or featheredge to make sure your crease is spot on and while doing that, round your cove in ready for the next set.
Cove and slope will be painted in with the ceiling so you just need to hope the decorators neat enough to cut a straight line along the wall/slope edge. Cause if the decorations crap it wont matter how straight a line you leave.

bottom line should be pretty straight forward skimble as the tacking looks good,, i never use 3mm stop beads on these,, like you say the top curved one wont be any problem but to be honest if i was going to worry about either of them it would be the curved one

Did he tell the joiner to get the timber studs straight! You can use a 3mm stopbead but that just follows the plasterboard, you need to bond the angles and use a featheredge to straighten them out

Its a trussed roof bob and he put them on so I can always blame him!

bottom line should be pretty straight forward skimble as the tacking looks good,, i never use 3mm stop beads on these,, like you say the top curved one wont be any problem but to be honest if i was going to worry about either of them it would be the curved one

cheers pal, there is two 7meter curves so can't say I'm looking forward to them! Might run the old football along them!

Its the one instance where id skim the wall first. It looks straight enough speedskim/spat/ or featheredge to make sure your crease is spot on and while doing that, round your cove in ready for the next set.
Cove and slope will be painted in with the ceiling so you just need to hope the decorators neat enough to cut a straight line along the wall/slope edge. Cause if the decorations crap it wont matter how straight a line you leave.

Good idea Scottie, walls first should be easier to get it straight.

i would ping a chalk line along the angle, float out in bonding skim ceiling then skim the rake.

How would you then put a curve on the ceiling/rake angle.

we scrim the joint, apply bonding, then run a simple mould along the angle , this gives you a perfect angle then skim ceiling and rake all in one. simple.
how would you tackle it then scottie?

we scrim the joint, apply bonding, then run a simple mould along the angle , this gives you a perfect angle then skim ceiling and rake all in one. simple.
how would you tackle it then scottie?

Mould aye? Don't use the old football then Malc?

Exactly the same as you malc, sorry I read your last post as you would skim the ceiling.
then youd skim the rake in 2 different sets.

1st up clear the room out b4 skimming 2nd if the customers fussy make sure he has checked the chippys work before you start 3rd roll the angle with bonding and plaster as per normal

Mould aye? Don't use the old football then Malc?

the only time i have used a football was for all the internals, ceiling lines and skirtings on a large room that was a photo studio. the room was taking photos of things like cars and they did not want to see any lines from floor, ceiling and walls in the back ground. the room was painted a different colour for every photo shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.